Weird disconnect
793 21 2022-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JayOhio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2289446 ft
United States

So I flew from Ohio to Florida 2 weeks ago and took the Mavic 3 and RC PRO. Everything was fine down there flew about 6-7 times in 2 different locations in the State. Flew back home and did a couple short flights back in Ohio and everything was good no issues. Today (1 week later) I set up the Mavic 3 and it's sitting there for several minutes before I take off and I notcied the home point updated but then it said not ready to fly and the sats went down to 9. After 20 seconds or so it was back at 20-22 sats and the home point was still correct so I took off. I went away from the house a little bit and up to about 200ft and started a 360 degree turn and about 180 degrees into it I lost connection. The RC Pro video was gray and not updating and all the indicators were red. with "connection lost" still present on the screen I felt like I still had a bit of control but then it went into RTH. As it got close to the landing spot it was off by a lot and I was worried it was going to hit the house and I used a little stick and it seemed like it was working but very slow in reacting. I landed it with no issues and then shut it all down and did a IMU and Compass calibration on a fresh battery. I flew for about 30 minutes just inside my property and had no issues the second time around. Has anyone seen anything like this maybe with traveling? I'm not sure it's the first time I have taken it somewhere far away from home and the time it picks to act up is sort of random?

Jay Ohio
2022-10-25
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12401030 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

HI,

Your flightlog will explain the HP setting issue....

If you like uplaod your log using this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Post the uploaded link on here

cheers
JJB
2022-10-25
Use props
JayOhio
lvl.4
United States

hmm First time I ever had to do the flight log but it was painless...

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/6LWNL1SOJJESKQDF5G16/

2022-10-25
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I know with the older DJI models ie, Phantoms and Inspire it was advised to calibrate the compass if last flight was more than 50 miles away from your new home point/take off position. I have had calibrate compass message on the M3 but I think that was with magnetic disturbance surroundings... I think some people more of a habit still tend to follow that routine. But whether your issue was caused by that I am not sure. Hopefully your logs will show the reason for the weird actions..
2022-10-25
Use props
JayOhio
lvl.4
United States

Grimtheviking Posted at 10-25 11:19
I know with the older DJI models ie, Phantoms and Inspire it was advised to calibrate the compass if last flight was more than 50 miles away from your new home point/take off position. I have had calibrate compass message on the M3 but I think that was with magnetic disturbance surroundings... I think some people more of a habit still tend to follow that routine. But whether your issue was caused by that I am not sure. Hopefully your logs will show the reason for the weird actions..

I would agree, but the 3rd flight in after being home and it decides to go crazy... I never had any warnings on the screen.
2022-10-25
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

JayOhio Posted at 10-25 11:05
hmm First time I ever had to do the flight log but it was painless...

Hi Jay,

See my chart of your data.

HP was re-set at 3.6 secs after start, just airborne.
As you can see the HP was above your house.
Yellow drone marker is postion of drone at setting HP in the log, thus Drone pos = HP pos.
So the RTH did great job, only HP was few meters away from the actual start position.

LatLon position can vary few meters, so always best to find a takeoff spot with 2 meters free space around.

Compass has nothing to do with GPS setting a HP.
cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
analysis4.png
2022-10-25
Use props
JayOhio
lvl.4
United States

JJB* Posted at 10-25 11:29
Hi Jay,

but no reason for the disconnect ?
2022-10-25
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JayOhio Posted at 10-25 11:20
I would agree, but the 3rd flight in after being home and it decides to go crazy... I never had any warnings on the screen.

Weird things happen with drones.. maybe best to upload logs from the drone to Dji support and see what they make of it.
2022-10-25
Use props
JayOhio
lvl.4
United States

JJB* Posted at 10-25 11:29
Hi Jay,

the take off location seems right, that flat area is a 16x24 flat roof that I launch from just outside my office (second floor) on a daily basis. I've never had an issue from there for the past 2-3 years with the M3 or the air2s.
2022-10-25
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Weird stick position @ 1min 25sec..
2022-10-25
Use props
JayOhio
lvl.4
United States

Grimtheviking Posted at 10-25 11:40
Weird stick position @ 1min 25sec..

I would agree, my normal start movement for the sticks, but I can guaranty that those movements didn't come from my RC PRO, I was in full down movement at that time just trying to fight what I thought was RTH and very slow to respond movements from the RC PRO. I just wanted it down lower to the ground at that point as the RTH kinda scared me cause it looked off course.
2022-10-25
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JayOhio Posted at 10-25 11:49
I would agree, my normal start movement for the sticks, but I can guaranty that those movements didn't come from my RC PRO, I was in full down movement at that time just trying to fight what I thought was RTH and very slow to respond movements from the RC PRO. I just wanted it down lower to the ground at that point as the RTH kinda scared me cause it looked off course.

Yeah, luckily you got it down without hitting your house. Go's to show we have to be on our toes when flying these things.
2022-10-25
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

JayOhio Posted at 10-25 11:32
but no reason for the disconnect ?

No, nothing in the log, no warnings ect.
Stick positions at connecting again looks like a CSC ?

cheers
JJB
analysis5.png
2022-10-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I had a M2P/Z RTH to somewhere about 10m away from the take off point, that would have brought it down in a fir tree.
Since then, once a drone gives me the light sequence to indicate that the homepoint has been set, I send it out to  maybe 200ft and RTH it. (I am deaf so hear no messages and I watch the drone not the screen as my takeoff point is often surrounded by obstacles).
If the drone isn't overhead I bring it overhead and reset the homepoint to the drone's location. Some may say it is unnecessary but it wastes little battery and keeps me happy.
2022-10-25
Use props
JayOhio
lvl.4
United States

So I go to fly again and just let the drone sit and within 5 minutes I get 2 disconnects from it. Something is not right and I have not changed anything still on 1.7.0 cause 1.7.5 had crash issues...
2022-10-25
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had that problem with my M3 when using a standard controller with cable to fly app, (and it turned out to be my cable) but since you are using the RC Pro, only thing I can think of is extreme interference, or product defect.  You will likely get the standard answers from DJI, refresh firmware, reset RC Pro, etc.  Maybe all worth trying.  If you can recreate the same issue at another location then any thoughts on it being interference related may be wrong.

Got any angry old amateur radio operators near your location?  : )
2022-10-25
Use props
JayOhio
lvl.4
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 10-25 16:05
I had that problem with my M3 when using a standard controller with cable to fly app, (and it turned out to be my cable) but since you are using the RC Pro, only thing I can think of is extreme interference, or product defect.  You will likely get the standard answers from DJI, refresh firmware, reset RC Pro, etc.  Maybe all worth trying.  If you can recreate the same issue at another location then any thoughts on it being interference related may be wrong.

Got any angry old amateur radio operators near your location?  : )

LOL I am the angry old Amateur Radio Operator. I just ran 3 batteries through the air2s and no issue at all. Stick a fresh one in the M3 and 3 disconnects without taking off which sucks cause I bought this package new at X-mas time and right out of the box had this same issue. It was fixed and working great till now.
2022-10-25
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-25 14:20
I had a M2P/Z RTH somewhere about 10m away from the take off point, that would have brought it down in a fir tree.
Since then, once  a drone gives me the light sequence to indicate that the homepoint has been set, I send it out to  maybe 200ft and RTH it. I am deaf so hear no messages and I watch the drone not the screen as my takeoff point is often surrounded by obstacles.
If the drone isn't overhead I bring it overhead and reset the homepoint to the drone's location. Some may say it is unnecessary but it wastes little battery and keeps me happy.

I do almost exactly the same, each first flight.  Good idea.
2022-10-25
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

JayOhio Posted at 10-25 16:23
LOL I am the angry old Amateur Radio Operator. I just ran 3 batteries through the air2s and no issue at all. Stick a fresh one in the M3 and 3 disconnects without taking off which sucks cause I bought this package new at X-mas time and right out of the box had this same issue. It was fixed and working great till now.

Hey OM, nice to know another  Amateur on this board.  I'm  area 6.
2022-10-25
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well, sounds like you have isolated the issue to be a device problem if your Air2S is flying with no sweat.  : )  Also, Amateur Radio ops that are angry should get a snickers before going live on the air!   : )

I suspect you have to get it serviced.
2022-10-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Can you please try to connect your aircraft and DJI RC Pro to the DJI Assistant 2 software and kindly please update/refresh the firmware and have a test flight again in an open area to see if the issue persists? You may also want to check the antenna positioning for the remote controller when flying for you to attain the optimal transmission range. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

2022-10-25
Use props
JayOhio
lvl.4
United States

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 10-25 17:37
Hey OM, nice to know another  Amateur on this board.  I'm  area 6.

Bob yes nice to see other operators on the forums, call is KB8O
2022-10-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules