4987 20 2022-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansebfd0e0b
lvl.3
Flight distance : 29206 ft
Canada

Hello,
I use a mini 3 pro with regular battery (<250 grams) and fly strictly for non-commercial purposes. Will my drone still be broadcasting information when remote id law activates ?
2022-10-26
Use props
Rainbow Drones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1155663 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you are in the US, then yes it will always be on. It will be an FAA requirement no matter if you are flying commercial or recreational.
2022-10-26
Use props
fansebfd0e0b
lvl.3
Canada

Rainbow Drones Posted at 10-26 06:49
If you are in the US, then yes it will always be on. It will be an FAA requirement no matter if you are flying commercial or recreational.

I live in Canada. I also wonder if it's enabled by geo zone(USA) or just enabled for all compatible dji drones
2022-10-26
Use props
u77d01
lvl.3
United States

DJI's recent Remote ID guide notes the September 2023 deadline for users who need to have remote ID to upgrade their firmware (and app) to support it. However, they also say this:

16. I bought a DJI Mini 3 Pro just for fun, do I still need to comply
with Remote ID rule?

All pilots of drones requiring registration must comply with Remote
ID rule. If you are operating a drone with a weight of 0.55 pounds
or less (less than 250 grams) for purely recreational purposes, you
do not need to register your drone or comply with the Remote ID
rule, or upgrade the RID-compliant firmware for the Mini 3 Pro.
Please follow the official FAA website for the latest drone
regulations or changes.
2022-10-26
Use props
fansebfd0e0b
lvl.3
Canada

u77d01 Posted at 10-26 11:59
DJI's recent Remote ID guide notes the September 2023 deadline for users who need to have remote ID to upgrade their firmware (and app) to support it. However, they also say this:

16. I bought a DJI Mini 3 Pro just for fun, do I still need to comply

butthere is this new firmware I downloaded today. It says it implemented the remote id function.
2022-10-26
Use props
fansebfd0e0b
lvl.3
Canada

My guess on this one is that this update for today only implements it but there will be an optional update in the future for remote id.
2022-10-26
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

fansebfd0e0b Posted at 10-26 12:01
My guess on this one is that this update for today only implements it but there will be an optional update in the future for remote id.

Hi, fansebfd0e0b. Thank you for reaching out to us. If you are pertaining to the DJI Fly update, it does support the RID function from firmware version v1.7.4 and above. If you would like to register your drone or get the latest drone regulations or changes, please contact the official Transport Canada (https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation). Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-10-26
Use props
fansebfd0e0b
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 10-26 13:28
Hi, fansebfd0e0b. Thank you for reaching out to us. If you are pertaining to the DJI Fly update, it does support the RID function from firmware version v1.7.4 and above. If you would like to register your drone or get the latest drone regulations or changes, please contact the official Transport Canada (https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation). Thank you for your understanding and support.

So updating to the new app and firmware doesn't mean RID of remote id will be enabled in September 2023 right ?
2022-10-26
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

fansebfd0e0b Posted at 10-26 13:44
So updating to the new app and firmware doesn't mean RID of remote id will be enabled in September 2023 right ?

Hi, fansebfd0e0b. Mini 3 Pro's firmware is already FAA RID-compliant. Please refer to the needed firmware updates in the image below.

The FAA’s first Remote ID compliance deadline, for newly manufactured drones that require registration with the FAA, is September 16, 2022, though the FAA announced an extension to enforce it until December 16, 2022. Customers who already own DJI drones do not need to do anything right away, because existing drones are not required to comply with FAA Remote ID regulations until September 16, 2023. DJI will provide firmware updates before that date to bring the most modern DJI drones into compliance. Customers can install those updates at their discretion any time before September 16, 2023.

Please note that the September 2023 deadline is applicable for American FAA only, you may check this thread for more information: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 548&extra=page%3D1. Kindly refer to the link provided above for Canada Aviation Policy. Thank you for your valued support.
2.jpg
2022-10-26
Use props
fansebfd0e0b
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 10-26 14:29
Hi, fansebfd0e0b. Mini 3 Pro's firmware is already FAA RID-compliant.

The FAA’s first Remote ID compliance deadline, for newly manufactured drones that require registration with the FAA, is September 16, 2022, though the FAA announced an extension to enforce it until December 16, 2022. Customers who already own DJI drones do not need to do anything right away, because existing drones are not required to comply with FAA Remote ID regulations until September 16, 2023. DJI will provide firmware updates before that date to bring the most modern DJI drones into compliance. Customers can install those updates at their discretion any time before September 16, 2023.
[Image]

Ok thanks. So If I fly my registered drone in canada the drone wouldn't be broadcasting. But If I go USA, the geo zone automatically turns remote id on. Is that correct ?
2022-10-26
Use props
fans5d3e3440
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4964 ft
United States

Does anyone know, yet, exactly how it's going to broadcast the ID.  I very much doubt there's cellular hardware built in.  Anything else is going to be very short range.  So that only leaves Aeroscope, unless DJI forces everyone to buy add-on cell hardware.
2022-10-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans5d3e3440 Posted at 10-26 14:52
Does anyone know, yet, exactly how it's going to broadcast the ID.  I very much doubt there's cellular hardware built in.  Anything else is going to be very short range.  So that only leaves Aeroscope, unless DJI forces everyone to buy add-on cell hardware.

Not only Areoscope, this will also work for probably most of the systems out there that can already pick up on drone activity. The USAF already have a system that knows if a drone has been turned on and where it was turned on, pretty much the same as Aeroscope, most are probably based on Aeroscope anyway. The remote ID means now they will know WHO turned it on. This rID lark shouldn't be a problem for any of us, the only time it will be a problem is if /when you're flying illegally. This is a good thing, this will be a good deterrent and will hopefully bring about safer flying for manned AC and reduce idiot pilots. only time will tell i suppose...
2022-10-26
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

Ok thanks. So If I fly my registered drone in canada the drone wouldn't be broadcasting. But If I go USA, the geo zone automatically turns remote id on. Is that correct ?
2022-10-26
Use props
Tekstyle
lvl.1
Flight distance : 63091 ft
United States

I want to know why my sub 250g mini 3 is being forced to have shifty, invasive remote id when it's clearly the main reason of having it under the required  weight limit so you dont have to register ... this really makes me mad!
2022-10-26
Use props
Wbear
lvl.3
Flight distance : 28862 ft
United States

Me too.
Read and join the discussion here at: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... id%3D776&page=4
2022-10-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Tekstyle Posted at 10-26 23:21
I want to know why my sub 250g mini 3 is being forced to have shifty, invasive remote id when it's clearly the main reason of having it under the required  weight limit so you dont have to register ... this really makes me mad!

Talk to the FAA .
2022-10-27
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tekstyle Posted at 10-26 23:21

perhaps but don't get it conflated.  under 250g means no registration required (generally) but no registration doesn't necessarily means no rid.  you're not being forced, there will be some 250g drones that don't have rid.  such manufacturers will have decided to opt for the external module for those who need it.  i don't blame dji for including rid in the mini 3 pro (if this is indeed the case).  they already have enough trouble rather than having their drone be known as the drone without rid.  imagine two years from now, thousands of chinese mini 3 pro drones all over creation and none of them have rid.  it will really be known as the drone of choice to own in order to fly under the radar (so to speak).  the lack of rid will be viewed as a stealth drone or a ghost drone designed to be quiet and undetectable (even if it's not true).  finally, dji already filed with the faa and committed to rid in the mini 3 pro; don't think they have much of a choice at this point.
2022-10-27
Use props
JLB768
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1259715 ft
United States

My Mini 3 identifies as a motorcycle, does it still have to have a rid?
2022-10-27
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

Bashy Posted at 10-26 20:05
Not only Areoscope, this will also work for probably most of the systems out there that can already pick up on drone activity. The USAF already have a system that knows if a drone has been turned on and where it was turned on, pretty much the same as Aeroscope, most are probably based on Aeroscope anyway. The remote ID means now they will know WHO turned it on. This rID lark shouldn't be a problem for any of us, the only time it will be a problem is if /when you're flying illegally. This is a good thing, this will be a good deterrent and will hopefully bring about safer flying for manned AC and reduce idiot pilots. only time will tell i suppose...

Was there any discussion regarding handing fines to those that were flying illegally since they know who now?
Or is that a different jurisdiction
2022-10-27
Use props
SpectreOne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 79659 ft
United States

JLB768 Posted at 10-27 11:29
My Mini 3 identifies as a motorcycle, does it still have to have a rid?

No, in that case it would have a vehicle registration requirement and a license plate to identify it!
2022-10-27
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Beta5K Posted at 10-27 12:10
Was there any discussion regarding handing fines to those that were flying illegally since they know who now?
Or is that a different jurisdiction

to my knowledge, there have not been any fines given to those who simply fly without a registration number affixed to their drone or fail to properly register their drone in the database.  I believe it is appropriate to give a "fix it" ticket to those who are truly unaware or make a mistake.  However, if this is one of many violations, you certainly will get hit with it as well as the other violations and for sure, that has happened and resulted in hefty fines.

I understand the implied importance of proper registration and I follow the law but I don't agree with excessive fines and confiscations.  If you drive your car without the proper registration, you can make an argument and mostly get a warning if there is a mistake but if you are wrong, you usually get a reasonable fine or at worse, your equipment is towed/impounded.  under rare circumstance does the government take your car and keep it and nobody has faced fines in the thousands and thousands of dollars even after illegally driving an unregistered vehicle for thousands of miles for several years.

but of course, no criminal would use a car to commit crimes, hurt and kill people, avoid paying taxes, destroy the roads, bridges and other property.  it's those terroristic killer drones that deserve a whopping $10k fine for not having a label while you recreate and have fun flying at the city park for 5 minutes with a "heavy" battery.  lol
2022-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules