3849 17 2022-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ian in London
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Going out for the day with 2 drones and just the 1 remote.  Quick video showing the process of swapping between the Mini 3 Pro and the Air 2S

2022-10-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am not being awkward, I think you make GREAT videos, truly great videos, but I am puzzled by this one.

Question, is it as easy to swap between the drones if one or both of them have Flyaway coverage and all the appropriate bindings are in place?  If so that would be a point worth making as an addendum to this video.

However, the reason I am puzzled by this video is that where the drones use the same normal controller, and 'here' I am thinking of :-
1) these drones being of the same model (simply because I do not have differing models of drone that use the same controller, unless you count an M2P as being different from an M2Z and a P3Adv as being a different model from a P3Pro), and
2) none of them having Flyaway cover / the bindings associated with the coverage.
then it is a matter of seconds to switch the drone linked to a normal controller, especially if you use the button sequence on the controller to trigger its linking process. I have done this with multiple Mavic Minis, multiple Mini 2s, multiple M2P/Zs and multiple P3Adv/Pros.
Since I 'do not' have different models of drone that use the same controller I have not run into the firmware compatibility thing that you mention but doesn't/didn't that also happen with the previous Smart controller or controllers when switching between various models of drone?
If that firmware issue is as easily dealt with when using a normal controller, would it take more than a few seconds to switch an RC231 between any applicable drones (again flyaway coverage and the associated bindings being excepted)?
If the firmware issue IS NOT as easily dealt with when using an RC231 then, yes,I can see that the DJI RC has an advantage.
2022-10-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very informative video Ian.    Great to see that both drones can be controlled from just the RC.  Makes going a trek much easier.  
2022-10-29
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Another good video with how to process . Nice work
2022-10-29
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-29 02:44
I am not being awkward, I think you make GREAT videos, truly great videos, but I am puzzled by this one.

Question, is it as easy to swap between the drones if one or both of them have Flyaway coverage and all the appropriate bindings are in place?  If so that would be a point worth making as an addendum to this video.

If you have Flyaway cover, a (surprisingly) clear message pops up advising you have 3 or 2 flights to make unless you 'unbind' from the other remote control.  
So, yes, for me, the Mini 3 Pro and the Air 2S it literally is seconds to swap.  And of course, if you choose to only use the RC Remote and unbind a model that does have flyaway cover, then you will be able to swap just as easily.  The only issue will be if you are swapping remotes (as opposed to drones).
2022-10-29
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cheers Ian.
I am not sure I understand you point in the final sentence. Can you rephrase it please?

Post 5 refers 'unbinding from another remote',  if one wants to use only one DJI RC with multiple drones and each of those drones nominally 'has flyaway coverage', can the DJI RC be used with each of those drones without changing  ANY of the flyaway-cover-bindings? E.g if you were out in the wilds with NO internet access? Thanks.
2022-10-29
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

it's a good video.  if you will notice, ian uses all the correct terms (for the most part).  i could be wrong but the firmware inconsistent message that i've seen pop up in the past had to do with battery not being updated.  also with original smart controller, m2z and m2p are different since i chose m2p for my m2z and got rejected.  not sure of the distinctions for the new models in the rc screen.
2022-10-29
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 10-29 08:35
it's a good video.  if you will notice, ian uses all the correct terms (for the most part).  i could be wrong but the firmware inconsistent message that i've seen pop up in the past had to do with battery not being updated.  also with original smart controller, m2z and m2p are different since i chose m2p for my m2z and got rejected.  not sure of the distinctions for the new models in the rc screen.

Interesting, I am fairly certain I changed an M2P to an M2Z, or the reverse, by swapping the camera/gimbal assembly.
2022-10-29
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-29 08:50
Interesting, I am fairly certain I changed an M2P to an M2Z, or the reverse, by swapping the camera/gimbal assembly.

this is in the original sc, under aircraft management, i have both a m2p and m2z listing but i only own the m2z.  the linking process wasn't the best back then so it is possible when i chose m2p that it simply failed and then connected successfully on the 2nd try when i chose m2z.
2022-10-29
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 10-29 09:08
this is in the original sc, under aircraft management, i have both a m2p and m2z listing but i only own the m2z.  the linking process wasn't the best back then so it is possible when i chose m2p that it simply failed and then connected successfully on the 2nd try when i chose m2z.

just for clarity, I am not disputing what you see, I was just commenting concerning my experience/observation.
2022-10-29
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-29 09:38
just for clarity, I am not disputing what you see, I was just commenting concerning my experience/observation.

no worries; i agree they should be the same drones.
2022-10-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice work!
2022-10-29
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-29 08:06
Cheers Ian.
I am not sure I understand you point in the final sentence. Can you rephrase it please?

NP   In my final sentence to you, I'm trying to say that if you get the pop up message warning you that "Item bound to other remote; you have 5 or 4 flights remaining " then it's your call to whether you choose to unbind from the other remote and bind to the current (new) remote.  
So the point I'm making is that if you want to semi permanently change remotes, then it's no issue.  However, if you want to keep BOTH remotes bound to the same drone, then THAT is messy as you will keep getting this 'bound to other device' pop  up and either way, eventually choose one or the other.  
2022-10-30
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ian in London Posted at 10-30 01:07
NP   In my final sentence to you, I'm trying to say that if you get the pop up message warning you that "Item bound to other remote; you have 5 or 4 flights remaining " then it's your call to whether you choose to unbind from the other remote and bind to the current (new) remote.  
So the point I'm making is that if you want to semi permanently change remotes, then it's no issue.  However, if you want to keep BOTH remotes bound to the same drone, then THAT is messy as you will keep getting this 'bound to other device' pop  up and either way, eventually choose one or the other.

Thanks, I get the impression I have annoyed you, that was not my intention. I will leave it at that,
2022-10-30
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-30 03:50
Thanks, I get the impression I have annoyed you, that was not my intention. I will leave it at that,

NP meant No Problem. Defo not annoyed at all. Just hope I've explained it okay.
2022-10-30
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ian in London Posted at 10-30 04:08
NP meant No Problem. Defo not annoyed at all. Just hope I've explained it okay.

Ok  and thanks
2022-10-30
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

When  I do this with the Mavic 3 I get the Bind to drone message..
2022-10-30
Use props
Jake. A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing
2023-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules