1131 23 2022-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ken-W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Received this as a gift and if anyone is looking for some simple impressions, here you go

Compared to my GoPro
1. Battery life is phenomenal
2. Overheating has never been a concern, much less an issue, even with extended recording duration at 4k/60
3. Charging is insanely quick connected to a good power bank (I'm using an Anker 737 140W 24k, but apparently any 30W charger works)
4. The limitations of 8-bit color is very obvious (compared to the 10-bit on GoPro) - banding shows up VERY quickly in post-processing
5. Rocksteady and HorizonSteady are good, but not better
6. Videos aren't even as crisp/clear as what I get out of my older GoPro 97. Slightly more expensive compared to the GoPro Hero 11 Bundle that comes with 2 batteries (compared to 3 with the OA3 Adventure bundle)
8. Swapping from one mount to another tons simpler on the OA3
9. I really miss the Auto Upload to Cloud function on the GoPro

Use cases
- for recording in warmer temperatures at 4k/60 when I'm out in the desert/dunes/mountains and have the camera mounted on the outisde, the OM3 is a better camera
- for short bursts of recording (3-10 minutes), I think I would prefer the GoPro 11 as I need the footage have enough latitude for post-processing.
- for extended days away from the computer but still have access to the internet, you'll need to carry extra microSD cards - GoPro has a useful feature of auto-uploading to cloud (which I can do at cafes, airports, even 5G) and I wipe the card after that, and never have to worry about lost cards

The OA3 seems to be a portable version of the camera I get out of the DJI Avata

If you care about media quality, the OA3 seems to fall behind even my older GoPro 9
If you care about battery endurance, the OA3 is a no-brainer

Hope this helps anyone considering the OM3 as of the time of this post - 29 Oct 2022

2022-10-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice first impressions.  Thanks for sharing.  
2022-10-29
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don't understand how people are recording 4k/60 until battery goes flat when mine overheats and shuts down at 2.7K 50p after 25 minutes
I wish the quality from OA3 was as good as Pocket 2 but it is nowhere near - however it is usable enough recording in good light.
2022-10-29
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

4wd Posted at 10-29 11:48
I don't understand how people are recording 4k/60 until battery goes flat when mine overheats and shuts down at 2.7K 50p after 25 minutes
I wish the quality from OA3 was as good as Pocket 2 but it is nowhere near - however it is usable enough recording in good light.

I have mine mounted on the outside of my Jeep when I head out to the mountains and it’s usually recording for 20-30 minutes at a go. I don’t run mine non-stop only because there are times I stop to shoot landscapes (I shoot large format 4x5 and there’s no point in running 10 min of stationary footage.

How long does yours run till it overheats?

I skipped the OP2 as I have the first-gen OP and it really doesn’t work for my use cases (stuck on the outside of a vehicle going through the dunes at 40-50 km/h or climbing up dusty mountain trails

Oh, another thing I really like about the OA3 - the flawless file transfer between the OA3 and my iPhone 12 Pro Max. Never ONCE had a transfer issue, as opposed to the GoPro app which is slow and unreliable wirelessly, and I have had little luck getting the Hero to play nice over a USB-C cable….
2022-10-29
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Slow memory card?  Screen off?
I should put mine on for testing myself, but have never bothered
2022-10-29
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ken-W Posted at 10-29 12:21
I have mine mounted on the outside of my Jeep when I head out to the mountains and it’s usually recording for 20-30 minutes at a go. I don’t run mine non-stop only because there are times I stop to shoot landscapes (I shoot large format 4x5 and there’s no point in running 10 min of stationary footage.

How long does yours run till it overheats?

I use mine mainly as dashcam in pickup but inside not stuck outside.
It isn't surprising yours doesn't overheat when in 50mph wind!
The screen is set to go off after a minute, if the card is in anyway involved I struggle to see how it has no ill effect until about 25 minutes was recorded.
2022-10-29
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Not sure - maybe the wind cools the unit down? I’ve been shooting quite a bit, never noticed the camera getting as warm as my GoPro. The only thing at the moment is that I’m not entirely happy with the quality of the video. Looks a bit mushy and I’m still working on finding the optimal settings for the cam
2022-10-30
Use props
Rajan17
lvl.1

Finland

same as mine. My one too get overheated after 16-17 min at 15 degrees Celcius temperature. how people are able to shoot without any complain of over heating ?
2022-10-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Are you leaving the screen on ?
2022-10-30
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Thank you for sharing those pros and cons.   I totally hear what you're saying and  enjoy the camera
2022-10-30
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

hallmark007 Posted at 10-30 14:01
Are you leaving the screen on ?

Yep, screen is on
2022-11-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ken-W Posted at 11-1 01:30
Yep, screen is on

Thats why its overheating
2022-11-1
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 11-1 01:42

Mine isn't, it's set to go off after 1 minute
2022-11-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

4wd Posted at 11-2 11:18
Mine isn't, it's set to go off after 1 minute

I have found it works beyond what they say in the blurb, plenty long enough for action camera.
2022-11-2
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

hallmark007 Posted at 11-1 01:42

I think you’ve confused my post with someone else’s (ESD and Rajan's) - my unit doesn’t overheat, even with the screen on…
2022-11-2
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

hallmark007 Posted at 11-2 11:36
I have found it works beyond what they say in the blurb, plenty long enough for action camera.

Likewise - the battery life on the OA3 is insanely good.
2022-11-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ken-W Posted at 11-2 23:44
I think you’ve confused my post with someone else’s (ESD and Rajan's) - my unit doesn’t overheat, even with the screen on…

Ok I see that now. Thanks
2022-11-2
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

It happens, no worries
2022-11-2
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Nice summary.
2022-11-3
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

I will add when comparing OA3 vs. GP11. I will not compare the optical output or the dynamic range, because there the GP11 is a class further (due to dji's own stupidity)
In my hand, the OA3 feels much higher quality and more robust for me, as does the design of the top. Control, intuitiveness, clarity also OA3 better. GP11 has many more settings of different modes and already preset settings, such as painting with light, moving stars... BUT, when I want to change the LED, I have to go deep into the menu, and there is also a lack of touch on the front display, so it is not easy to switch between the back and front finger swipes, I also have errors in turning off the display when filming, it turns off when the saver is active, which is the shortest period of 1 min...rather than 3 sec as OA3 has, I can't set it, with OA3 it can also be done by swiping down during filming .....
I will also mention that the rear display of the OA3 is clearer and you don't need glasses for orientation, as with the GP11 with their tiny letters...
GP11 lacks quick switch and voice prompt, which is addictive on OA3.
It was so quick that I thought of it...
Oh yes, and the GoPro Subscription (€50/year) is also great, endless cloud and replacement of a broken camera for a fraction of the price...

Most of the things I miss on the GP (except for the touch of the front display) can be adjusted by firmware if gopro wants it. Well, the most important thing that I miss on the OA3 is that no firmware can fix it (unless some dji technician is called John Firmware )
2022-11-20
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I've been testing the OA3 for night sky timelapse and have realized that unlike OA1, there is no longer timed shot (interval shooting), ISO cannot be set to one ISO (100) but as a range (100-200). This means I cannot shoot in RAW as it do on the GP and do frame by frame editing in LR and then create the nightlapse in Premiere Pro.

Or am I missing something?

Timelapse does not allow shutter speeds longer than 1/30s, and high ISO noise is so bad that I can't correct it in post.

As such, unless my observations above are wrong and I'm missing out on the correct settings somewhere, the OA3 isn't the best choice compared to the GP for night sky timelapses
2022-11-23
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Ken-W Posted at 11-23 04:41
I've been testing the OA3 for night sky timelapse and have realized that unlike OA1, there is no longer timed shot (interval shooting), ISO cannot be set to one ISO (100) but as a range (100-200). This means I cannot shoot in RAW as it do on the GP and do frame by frame editing in LR and then create the nightlapse in Premiere Pro.

Or am I missing something?

There was already a thread about this. Of course there is interval shooting. It is called Timelapse. The interval shooting was combined into timelapse.

The ISO can be set to single 100, all you have to do is scroll down and set it to 100.

You can shoot RAW. All you have to do is set the Timelapse recording to Video+RAW. The RAW files will be in a separate folder on the memory card.

Timelapse does allow shutter speeds up to 30 seconds even with ISO 100. You have to set the shutter and the timelapse's minimum interval will adjust accordingly.

2022-11-23
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

osmonauta Posted at 11-23 05:23
There was already a thread about this. Of course there is interval shooting. It is called Timelapse. The interval shooting was combined into timelapse.

The ISO can be set to single 100, all you have to do is scroll down and set it to 100.

Let me record a video and share that with you. I’m just not seeing this in OA3 timelapse settings in Manual mode
2022-11-23
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

osmonauta Posted at 11-23 05:23

Thanks! I found it now. Realized I was still in Hyperlapse and needed to switch to Timelapse to get the settings I needed!
2022-11-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules