Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Bashy Posted at 10-31 19:25
That makes no sense, so you're saying, it should broadcast all and sundry up till something DOES happen?
Thats closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

What horse has bolted?

what about our right to data protection?
what about our right to security?[/color
So you actually think EASA will opt out of GDPR in order to break the law in Europe

If they did that without permission they would be breaking the law .
Go read exactly what I wrote on this thread instead  of making assumptions

Lots of apps are and can track peoples movements, so why would someone decide to beat up and rob someone’s drone if they can be identified and put at a location when they can already do it now without being tracked.

I carry almost 12k of equipment with me when I go shooting, should I stop because the risk to being attacked and robbed is tiny . Or should I just carry on with what I do. Lots of people get beaten up and robbed everyday for little or nothing , not one single app has been found responsible for any of these beatings.
2022-11-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-1 01:08
Basically a few drone pilots have to get robbed or killed before Hallmark will concede public broadcasting of the data is a bad idea.

Odd thing is, one or two robbed or killed drone pilots would be more serious drone incidents/deaths than sparked the birth of the entire RID concept.  Just another giant power grab by your friendly benevolent government.  A solution in search of a problem...

VLOS designed to keep everyone safe including everyone else flying. But you excuse for this is no one has ever died or being seriously injured by anyone flying VLOS [EDIT] BVLOS .

So should we all wait until something serious happens before you stop flying VLOS [edit] BVLOS. I think they call this having your cake and eating it.
2022-11-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-1 01:26
Correction:  I stopped flying VLOS long ago.  BVLOS all the way buddy!

My mistake. So you are just waiting for an accident to happen. Well you’ll get what you deserve and it looks like its coming soon.
2022-11-1
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

TXfdMike Posted at 10-30 23:09
Newbie here, just starting out. So because the latest firmware announced that the remote id function is permanent, does that mean that remote id is in fact enabled?  Reason I ask is I'm fixing to (for recreational only) register my m3p due to the heavier plus batteries and I saw the first section on faa site asks if the uas is equipped with remote id. I wanted to know if I am to check the 'yes' or 'no' option?
Don't want to get into any trouble before my first flight.  TIA

Since you are flying recreationally, all of your aircraft will use the same registration number from the FAA. Since receiving my M3 Cine last November, I have been answering "Yes" to the question regarding RID.

All newer DJI aircraft will implement RID with a firmware update as we have just experienced, and there is a list of supporetd aircraft around here somewhere.

As always, in the event you need to change a "Yes" to a "No" (or vise versa) on the FAA site, you can just "Cancel" the aircraft and re-enter the aircraft and you'll be good to go.

P.S. This really is a great forum for information, but with RID on the doorstep and with less than optimal implementation (and delays) there is bound to be some serious backlash and legitimate opinions.
Fly safe!
2022-11-1
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-1 01:18
"not one single app has been found responsible for these beatings"

That's because until RID, no app has been brazen & foolish enough to openly & undefeatably broadcast the wearabouts of users to the general public!  How about we mandate broadcasting the location of politicians, diamond merchants, & armored trucks?  Those armored trucks are a real danger to public safety with all the armor weight.  Certainly responsible for more injury & death than civilian drones.

Maybe he would change his mind if the IRA was tracking him!
2022-11-1
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 10-31 12:48
There is no proof or any indicator that this will happen. Nutters are just that they won’t become nutters because they have an app, its more likely they wouldn’t know what to do with the app.

But simply track anyone using the app, make it easy to catch the culprits if their are any.

True enough for now.  I think people are just inferring from the insane amount of crazy out there.
2022-11-1
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 11-1 07:07
True enough for now.  I think people are just inferring from the insane amount of crazy out there.

Its impossible to get through to Hallmark,yes bad things will eventually happen.
Now when this crap starts next year I am going to have to figure out a way I can fly
and try to defend myself at the same time.It's not a funny issue either it is the truth.
2022-11-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mobilehomer Posted at 11-1 06:54
Maybe he would change his mind if the IRA was tracking him!

You mean like my brothers and cousins, why would you say something so stupid . Are the proud boys hunting down drone users?
2022-11-1
Use props
TXfdMike
lvl.1
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-1 00:48
The third message in the thread answered your question.

Actually post #47 did.  
2022-11-1
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-1 07:47
You mean like my brothers and cousins, why would you say something so stupid . Are the proud boys hunting down drone users?

Must be nice being perfect.
2022-11-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Pastime Posted at 11-1 09:10
Must be nice being perfect.

I suppose its a lot easier than trying to get perfection with 15 different accounts.
2022-11-1
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Wait, everyone keep it on track with the thread.  This is not about arguing.
2022-11-1
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-1 09:37
I suppose its a lot easier than trying to get perfection with 15 different accounts.

Wow ,its funny your figures keep changing all the time,i'm glad this is getting
you rattled.Like to see others disagree with you.
And also why would I need 15 different accounts when one will do.
Hope you also have some protection to keep in your camera bag with you
for when your flight is being tracked ,and you are confronted.
I do not want to hear about stuff like this never happens,it already has with
a pilots privacy being violated.What do you think it will be like when software
is developed for a goof to load on to his smartphone to be able to track your flight.
Get with the program and wakeup
Done
2022-11-1
Use props
Eveezy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 19170 ft
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-30 04:19
Check out Drone Scanner by Dronetag.  Available for both Android and iOS.  If the drone is using Fly App 1.7.8 on the controller data will be available about drones, including real-time height, direction, pilot identification, pilot position, operation description, and location history.  I tested it yesterday and it works as advertised.  Bit scary how much information is available on nearby drones in flight.

I am fully updated on latest firmware and fly app on RC, but my drone is not showing up. Really doesn't matter to me anyway, but I was just curious why mine wouldn't show up while in flight. I tried the app you suggested. While in flght waited about 5 mins or so and nothing was detected by the app.
2022-11-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Eveezy Posted at 11-1 10:44
I am fully updated on latest firmware and fly app on RC, but my drone is not showing up. Really doesn't matter to me anyway, but I was just curious why mine wouldn't show up while in flight. I tried the app you suggested. While in flght waited about 5 mins or so and nothing was detected by the app.

Not sure why it didn't pick up your drone.  Could have been one of the settings on the App.  

I flew yesterday evening and picked up 2 drones on the App that were flying nearby.  
2022-11-1
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-1 11:28
Not sure why it didn't pick up your drone.  Could have been one of the settings on the App.  

I flew yesterday evening and picked up 2 drones on the App that were flying nearby.

What drones did you pick up? My Air 2S doesn't show up on Dronescanner, either.
2022-11-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 11-1 11:54
What drones did you pick up? My Air 2S doesn't show up on Dronescanner, either.

Both were Mavic 3s.  Kind of scary what data it show you on the App.

UPDATE:  To be more specific they were both Mavic 3 E's.  

2022-11-1
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-1 11:58
Both were Mavic 3s.  Kind of scary what data it show you on the App.

UPDATE:  To be more specific they were both Mavic 3 E's.

Yes, that much data is totally unnecessary even for law enforcement!
2022-11-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 11-1 00:49

What horse has bolted?

The horse being "when" something happens! When being the operative word. You're are just being obtuse, you knew exactly what i meant, but...

...lets look at it another way then, how would you feel if an app came out and it's freely available to the public and that it is able to track every single smartphone user and it displays your whereabouts when a decent GPS signal was acquired (Probably your home) and tracks your path throughout the day and it displays a history of this information (google app does it but its not public). How would you feel then? Because that's basically what is going on here with this RID but instead of smartphones its your RC/UAV.

Just put the beatings and muggings etc out of your mind just for a minute, they are hypothetical anyway, look at it from a privacy standpoint, turn your drone on at home to do some testing and whoops, your home address is on the app for all to see, how cool is that eh? Youre up for that i take it?, Youre up for the history of your drones whereabouts to be displayed for the public to see? Now back to the nefarious, remember, i mentioned your home address, remember i mentioned your drones history, all of that is painting a picture, it wont be hard for the criminally inclined to figure out that one of the private properties that you keep turning on at is your home address and they know you have at the very least, an expensive drone.

It does not take much for Reggie Crim to pick up on something that will make their life easier, an example,  there was a time when we would never have believed that card skimming would ever be a thing but it just takes one with half a brain and many follow suit. Why should be wait for that horse to bolt, i.e. why should we wait for something to happen (in case i wasn't clear) before the powers that be realise that broadcasting private information publicly is a bad thing? So before this really takes off lets close that stable door and bolt it before that horse gets out!
2022-11-1
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 11-1 19:15
The horse being "when" something happens! When being the operative word. You're are just being obtuse, you knew exactly what i meant, but...

...lets look at it another way then, how would you feel if an app came out and it's freely available to the public and that it is able to track every single smartphone user and it displays your whereabouts when a decent GPS signal was acquired (Probably your home) and tracks your path throughout the day and it displays a history of this information (google app does it but its not public). How would you feel then? Because that's basically what is going on here with this RID but instead of smartphones its your RC/UAV.

Eventually what we are trying to get through to him will sink in.
2022-11-1
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-1 20:03
Hallmark is in Ireland.  RID doesn't impact him personally.   Easy to be dismissive & cavalier about things when it only affects others.

Glad he is not close by,really hard to get through this individual.
Anyway I am considering a mini 3 pro with standard battery because
I thought I would be safe and not be effected by remote ID.Now It seems
like it may not make a difference one way or the other.Currently have an air 2.
I know it is RID compliant,meaning the mini 3 pro.What a mess.
Have a good one.
2022-11-1
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-31 03:04
It isn't that people are hating on drone users.  People flying openly in public are in public view and, until Democrats decided no-cash bail & non-prosecution of crime was a good idea, criminals didn't generally go after people in plain view.  It's a matter of pilots who fly discreetly, in remote locations, often with several drones, lots of camera & AV equipment, a vehicle, wallet, credit cards, all being served up by government morons to opportunistic thugs.  It is going to happen.  There is no reason for RID data to be broadcast to the general public.  None.  Stop making excuses for the indefensible.

So in short you are a Republican and just don’t like Democrats………. Very funny
2022-11-1
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TonyPHX Posted at 10-31 12:06
I agree with your statistics so far Hallmark, but sadly, as an Arizona resident, do not underestimate the incredible number of idiots out there, or their willingness to immediately reach for the firearm.

Well that is the fault of your gun laws isn’t it nothing to do with drones
2022-11-1
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

...lets look at it another way then, how would you feel if an app came out and it's freely available to the public and that it is able to track every single smartphone user and it displays your whereabouts when a decent GPS signal was acquired (Probably your home) and tracks your path throughout the day and it displays a history of this information (google app does it but its not public). How would you feel then? Because that's basically what is going on here with this RID but instead of smartphones its your RC/UAV.

oh yeah, i forgot about that.  rid will activate when you turn on your drone even in your home (for a sw update) not just when flying in the field.  not good!  
2022-11-2
Use props
JesMar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155079 ft
Sweden

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-2 03:13
Not that I don't like them.  They just aren't very bright, existing in a world of fantasy & make-believe.

I learned a long time ago not to interact with adult children when subjects requiring logic and reason come into play.  They believe that their feelings are actual thoughts, not requiring logic nor reasoning .  That's how children interact with the world, through feelings.  You see that in their replies, which are emotionally based, rather than a well thought out reply.  
2022-11-2
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
United States

The Saint Posted at 11-2 06:09
oh yeah, i forgot about that.  rid will activate when you turn on your drone even in your home (for a sw update) not just when flying in the field.  not good!

Sure wish there was something we could do about this mess.
2022-11-2
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-2 03:13
Not that I don't like them.  They just aren't very bright, existing in a world of fantasy & make-believe.

You hit that right on the head
2022-11-2
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 11-1 23:26
So in short you are a Republican and just don’t like Democrats………. Very funny

They are not likeable and brought that on themselves.
2022-11-2
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
United States

JesMar Posted at 11-2 06:13
I learned a long time ago not to interact with adult children when subjects requiring logic and reason come into play.  They believe that their feelings are actual thoughts, not requiring logic nor reasoning .  That's how children interact with the world, through feelings.  You see that in their replies, which are emotionally based, rather than a well thought out reply.

Your interacting right now by responding to him.
2022-11-2
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 11-1 23:29
Well that is the fault of your gun laws isn’t it nothing to do with drones

nah, don't blame the guns.  It's the idiots.  They will throw rocks if they have to.
2022-11-2
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-2 03:23
Those who would attempt to rob pilots & reach for a firearm don't care about laws.  That's why we call them criminals.  Before slinging mud from across the pond you may want to take a look at the UK's knife crime stats.

Exactly.  Not a big fan of the whole UK telling us how we have everything wrong.  : )
2022-11-2
Use props
Wbear
lvl.3
Flight distance : 28862 ft
United States

Here is a statement from a commercial pilot, he gets it!
Maybe someone will have to sue the FAA to force them to encrypt, or wait for a hack to make it broad cast fake GPS coordinates.

"Full time real estate photographer here, flying over neighborhoods daily under a 107.

I DO get confronted by people who are sure I must be doing something illegal, typically having something to do with their "privacy." This happens about once every couple months, and 90% of the time it's easily diffused by identifying myself as photographing a home for sale. Rarely do I have to go into the whole FAA 107/Federal Airspace schpiel, but if laws were to change restricting where I could fly, my aerial work would look very different and take a major hit.

The biggest current threat to this profession though is Remote ID. As confrontational as some people are already, the last thing we need to give them is an easier way to find the pilot. That won't end well, and it'll be interesting to see what happens the first time the FAA gets sued by a commercial drone pilot who was assaulted because he was required to broadcast his location. Somebody didn't think that through, and I just hope no one gets killed because of it."
2022-11-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-2 03:23
Those who would attempt to rob pilots & reach for a firearm don't care about laws.  That's why we call them criminals.  Before slinging mud from across the pond you may want to take a look at the UK's knife crime stats.

Think you’ll find state side has a higher knife crime than the UK .

https://www.euronews.com/2018/05 ... -us-and-uk-compare-
2022-11-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Check out Drone Scanner by Dronetag.  Available for both Android and iOS.  If the drone is using Fly App 1.7.8 on the controller data will be available about drones, including real-time height, direction, pilot identification, pilot position, operation description, and location history.  I tested it yesterday and it works as advertised.  Bit scary how much information is available on nearby drones in flight.

So are there any personal details about the pilot, apart from name ?. The rest of the information is regarding the flight and the controller is this correct.
2022-11-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

...lets look at it another way then, how would you feel if an app came out and it's freely available to the public and that it is able to track every single smartphone user and it displays your whereabouts when a decent GPS signal was acquired (Probably your home) and tracks your path throughout the day and it displays a history of this information (google app does it but its not public). How would you feel then? Because that's basically what is going on here with this RID but instead of smartphones its your RC/UAV.

lets look at it another way then, how would you feel if an app came out and it's freely available to the public and that it is able to track every single smartphone user and it displays your whereabouts when a decent GPS signal was acquired (Probably your home) and tracks your path throughout the day and it displays a history of this information (google app does it but its not public). How would you feel then? Because that's basically what is going on here with this RID but instead of smartphones its your RC/UAV.

Thats simply not true its just something you’re making up. Its illegal to post any personal data on any person in Europe without permission thats the Law. Your streets particularly in the UK are covered with CCTV thats real and that should be more concerning to you than someone known where you’re flying your drone.

look at it from a privacy standpoint, turn your drone on at home to do some testing and whoops, your home address is on the app for all to see, how cool is that eh? Youre up for that i take it?,

No I wouldn’t and if you bothered to read what I wrote you’d see clearly I’m not up for this. But more to the point you have no information this is going to happen.

it wont be hard for the criminally inclined to figure out that one of the private properties that you keep turning on at is your home address and they know you have at the very least, an expensive drone.

Lots of people know where I live they also know I own drones cars etc and breaking into my home for a drone is the last and least productive thing a thief could do. I do find it strange that with the literally millions of drones in the world the thief’s and criminals are waiting for an app to arrive to suddenly know where to find them. So far drone crime is extremely low.

It does not take much for Reggie Crim to pick up on something that will make their life easier, an example,  there was a time when we would never have believed that card skimming would ever be a thing but it just takes one with half a brain and many follow suit.

So Reggie criminal sees a kid flying a drone in the park, but decides no better wait for an app to surface then we will break into his home search for it and steal it and as soon as he signs out of his account it will be of no use to us or anyone else. I think even dumb Reggie is smarter than that.

You need to wait to see what remote ID entails particularly in Europe before throwing out ridiculous conspiracies. When you know then fine do your worst but starting a petition without even knowing what you’re talking about will soon fall on deaf ears.
2022-11-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-2 13:43
So are there any personal details about the pilot, apart from name ?. The rest of the information is regarding the flight and the controller is this correct.

The Drone Scanner app shows this remote ID data from drones:

Data about nearby drones, including real-time height, direction, pilot identification, and exact pilot position.   
Representation of flight routes or flight directions of the individual devices.
Display of a map to locate the drones and their trajectories.
If entered by the pilot, it will give a description of the flight or purpose of flight.

The location of the flight controller on the two Mavic 3 E's that the App displayed were within 15 meters.  Fortunately, I knew one of the 2 pilots and he was not a happy camper to learn about the App to say the least.

The FAA was warned about this becoming a Privacy Issue and just put up a deaf ear.
2022-11-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-2 14:28

Data about nearby drones, including real-time height, direction, pilot identification, and exact pilot position.   

Pilot identification, is this his name or more phone number + photographic Id etc  included or just his name. In Europe it’s illegal to broadcast  personal data about any person without his permission and you must continually be asked and you and you alone would have to give this information .

2022-11-2
Use props
JLB768
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1259715 ft
United States

Mini 3 is my last drone, we have enough government lookie looing and overreach, I don't need a .gov drone swat team on my porch because I flew to an altitude of 401', I'll spend the money on my sim racing addiction. Those that argue the law is the law, we all roll a stop sign from time to time.
2022-11-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-2 14:28

this can't be good.

"If entered by the pilot, it will give a description of the flight or purpose of flight."

I will enter:  "Warning:  Drone flight protected by 2nd Amendment security.  Do not approach."
2022-11-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 11-2 14:08
lets look at it another way then, how would you feel if an app came out and it's freely available to the public and that it is able to track every single smartphone user and it displays your whereabouts when a decent GPS signal was acquired (Probably your home) and tracks your path throughout the day and it displays a history of this information (google app does it but its not public). How would you feel then? Because that's basically what is going on here with this RID but instead of smartphones its your RC/UAV.

Thats simply not true its just something you’re making up. Its illegal to post any personal data on any person in Europe without permission thats the Law. Your streets particularly in the UK are covered with CCTV thats real and that should be more concerning to you than someone known where you’re flying your drone.

Youre at it again, same blather, different thread.

Youre not understanding properly, again.

1st off, someone has already posted that EU is already wanting this RID, now whether or not it will be the same ID information as whats is shown for the US users is a different matter.

This isn't about people that ALREADY know you, this is about criminals having another tool in their belt.

But alas, there is no reasoning with you, your reality puts your POV above everyone else's, heck, even when proof is added. so on that note, i am out of this conversation with you too.
2022-11-2
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules