Ireland

What's causing this?

2022-10-30
Use props
ArcticPhoto
Second Officer
Norway

Something in front of your lens.
Could be a filter, a lens shade or some other object causing this vignetting.
2022-10-30
Use props
CuAnnan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69432 ft
Ireland

ArcticPhoto Posted at 10-30 11:13
Something in front of your lens.
Could be a filter, a lens shade or some other object causing this vignetting.

There is nothing in front of my lens. I don't have a filter attached
2022-10-30
Use props
CuAnnan
lvl.4
Ireland

2022-10-30
Use props
ArcticPhoto
Second Officer
Norway

This is from the wideangle camera, right?
Do you see this on all photos, on all apertures? Or is it visible only on smallest aperture (f/11)?
2022-10-30
Use props
CuAnnan
lvl.4
Ireland

ArcticPhoto Posted at 10-30 12:12
This is from the wideangle camera, right?
Do you see this on all photos, on all apertures? Or is it visible only on smallest aperture (f/11)?

It wasn't on all of them, I didn't think to check before deleting the photos on the card. I'll try again tomorrow (weather permitting) and figure out what settings cause it.
2022-10-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

This is normal, depending on where you edit your photos this will be sorted automatically. If you edit in lightroom PS Camera raw the lens correction will automatically fix this. In other photo editors you will need to preform a lens correction. The lens correction is already baked into dji dng file so you should be able to sort in most editing software. Lens correction is a very normal practice with most cameras.
2022-10-30
Use props
CuAnnan
lvl.4
Ireland

hallmark007 Posted at 10-30 14:23
This is normal, depending on where you edit your photos this will be sorted automatically. If you edit in lightroom PS Camera raw the lens correction will automatically fix this. In other photo editors you will need to preform a lens correction. The lens correction is already baked into dji dng file so you should be able to sort in most editing software. Lens correction is a very normal practice with most cameras.

Thanks Hallmark.
2022-10-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

This is probably a DNG right?
2022-10-30
Use props
CuAnnan
lvl.4
Ireland

Wrong thread
2022-10-31
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, CuAnnan. Thank you for your inquiry. Please be advised that the image editing software that you are using does not support distortion correction for DNG images. As hallmark007 mentioned, this is a normal phenomenon. We recommend using Photoshop or Lightroom to view these images. RAW images should be viewed with Photoshop. If you have additional queries, please reach us back. Thank you for your continued support.
2022-10-31
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

It's just the M3 camera design flaw. The circle of image produced by the lens on the Mavic 3 don't cover the entire sensor, so it has to be post-processed with the embedded DNG lens profile in order for the software to crop and interpolate the image to be shown properly.

So in the end, the 20MP image is in reality about a 18MP crop upscaled to 20. This is not only lens distortion correction, is cropping.

On good designed cameras you want the circle of image to be a bit larger than the sensor area, because image quality near the edges of the circle of image is very poor, this poor area is what it ends up being the soft edges of the M3 final processed image.

On all other recent DJI drones that I've tested the circle of image covers the entire sensor.

You basically need to open the image with a compatible program that processes the embedded DNG lens profile, like Lightroom for example, and it will automatically do the trick for you an all the images and it'll fell like the M3 had a proper 4/3 camera well designed.

PS: I wonder if the M3 classic will have the same issue despite having more space to build a proper optic.

PPS: Anyways, in my opinion the telephoto on the M3 is useful and funny enough that I accpet the "sacrifice" of a bit of the 4/3 sensor in order to have it, overall and despite a few errors like these, M3 is just and awesome flying camera.

2022-11-1
Use props
Drey. I
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1757375 ft
  • >>>
United States

The lens is not made to fit the whole sensor to save space.
2022-11-1
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3397539 ft
  • >>>
United States

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 11-1 04:34
It's just the M3 camera design flaw. The circle of image produced by the lens on the Mavic 3 don't cover the entire sensor, so it has to be post-processed with the embedded DNG lens profile in order for the software to crop and interpolate the image to be shown properly.

So in the end, the 20MP image is in reality about a 18MP crop upscaled to 20. This is not only lens distortion correction, is cropping.

I'm also very curious if the Mavic 3 Classic will be cropping the image and upscaling it.  
2022-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules