Landing in fog
2243 16 2022-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bishop-perun
lvl.1

Croatia

Hi there,
yesterday I flew Mavic 3 and flew it above the fog. When I lifted it it was clear around me but while flying fog got to my position. So after finishing flight I was engulfed in relatively thick fog. When I started landing it it went into a landing mode around 15 meters high. I panicked because I didn't know what would happen - I supposed due to a fog it thought it was several centimeters from ground when it went into a landing mode so it would shut of motors 15 meters in the air and drop down like a rock. I immediately lifted it a bit up to get it out of the landing mode. Tried again, the same thing. Switched to sport mode hoping it would turn off landing sensor so I could manually safely land it all the way to the ground - but again the same thing. Panicking I started running down the trail hopping against all ods to reach an area with not so dense fog. After trying several times down the trail finally I got to the part where it was a bit clearer so that sensors could read out situation correctly and landed it safely. Later I was thinking and trying to find the answer - in this situation when it gets into landing mode high in the air - would it really turn its engines off or would it continue in landing mode dropping slowly all the way to the ground? And also, is there a way to go totally in manual mode to avoid landing mode and manually land it? Thanks for the answers in advance.
2022-10-30
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12686732 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Not possible to disable Landing Protection !  Many many users have asked DJI to give an option in the FlyApp for many years.....

DJI will not give their users this option.

cheers
JJB
2022-10-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there bishop-perun. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. I am sorry to say that it is not possible to disable landing protection system of the DJI Mavic 3. Just a reminder that flying in heavy fog or clouds may make your DJI Mavic 3 wet, leading to temporarily failure. The DJI drone will recover it's full function once it is dry. For reference I will post some Flight Environment Requirements of the DJI Mavic 3 below. Thank you.

2022-10-31
Use props
bishop-perun
lvl.1

Croatia

Hi JJB* and Stephen and thank you for your quick replies. Ok, now I have an answer to one of my questions, landing mode is not possible to disable. But in that case what will happen when it goes to landing mode high in the air - will it turn its engines off and drop down and destroy itself due to a crash or will it continue  flying slowly down in landing mode all the way down to the ground and land safely?
2022-10-31
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oh look, another reason that "Landing Protection" can in fact be dangerous. DJI just fails to listen when we say we need a switch to turn it off.
2022-10-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

bishop-perun Posted at 10-31 01:01
Hi JJB* and Stephen and thank you for your quick replies. Ok, now I have an answer to one of my questions, landing mode is not possible to disable. But in that case what will happen when it goes to landing mode high in the air - will it turn its engines off and drop down and destroy itself due to a crash or will it continue  flying slowly down in landing mode all the way down to the ground and land safely?

what will happen when it goes to landing mode high in the air - will it turn its engines off and drop down and destroy itself due to a crash or will it continue  flying slowly down in landing mode all the way down to the ground and land safely?
No it won't.
If you hold the left stick down, it will descend very slowly because the downward sensors are indicating that it is just above the ground.

When landing, your drone doesn't cut the motors and fall.
It descends until it can't descend any further.
That's what would happen in the situation you describe.

But if the fog was thick and high, it could take several minutes to finally get it down
2022-10-31
Use props
bishop-perun
lvl.1

Croatia

Thank you Labroides! That's the answer I was hoping for. Doesn't matter that it would take several minutes for it to reach the land, it's only important that it safely lands in the end.
2022-10-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

bishop-perun Posted at 10-31 02:29
Thank you Labroides! That's the answer I was hoping for. Doesn't matter that it would take several minutes for it to reach the land, it's only important that it safely lands in the end.

Doesn't matter that it would take several minutes for it to reach the land, it's only important that it safely lands in the end.
It does if you are a long way up with a low battery.
2022-10-31
Use props
bishop-perun
lvl.1

Croatia

Labroides Posted at 10-31 02:42
Doesn't matter that it would take several minutes for it to reach the land, it's only important that it safely lands in the end.
It does if you are a long way up with a low battery.

Does anybody know with that slow landing speed how much battery percent does it take to fly down let's say 10 meters?
2022-10-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

bishop-perun Posted at 10-31 03:51
Does anybody know with that slow landing speed how much battery percent does it take to fly down let's say 10 meters?

10 metres is something-nothing.
At about 1 ft/sec it only takes 30 seconds to get to the ground.
There have been a number of flyers caught out with their drone up 100 metres or more and taking 5 minutes or more to come down.
2022-10-31
Use props
djiuser_MEAnJds6FJAZ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1280650 ft
United States

It happened to me. No it won’t shut off until it touches the ground. The vision sensors thinks it’s the ground but you also have the infrared sensor on the bottom so it won’t shut if until both sensors confirm landing. You just sit and wait, it will land safely. U can try Turing on the bottom light to help the vision sensor.
2022-12-18
Use props
djiuser_MEAnJds6FJAZ
lvl.1
United States

It happened to me. No it won’t shut off until it touches the ground. The vision sensors thinks it’s the ground but you also have the infrared sensor on the bottom so it won’t shut if until both sensors confirm landing. You just sit and wait, it will land safely. U can try Turing on the bottom light to help the vision sensor.
2022-12-18
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_MEAnJds6FJAZ Posted at 12-18 11:16
It happened to me. No it won’t shut off until it touches the ground. The vision sensors thinks it’s the ground but you also have the infrared sensor on the bottom so it won’t shut if until both sensors confirm landing. You just sit and wait, it will land safely. U can try Turing on the bottom light to help the vision sensor.

oke,  so in a pitch dark night it will never shut off?  as it need both sensors.....

2022-12-18
Use props
djiuser_MEAnJds6FJAZ
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 12-18 11:27
oke,  so in a pitch dark night it will never shut off?  as it need both sensors.....

No when landing your bottom light turn on automatically idk what drone you have but I think all DJI drone have that.
2022-12-18
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_MEAnJds6FJAZ Posted at 12-18 17:21
No when landing your bottom light turn on automatically idk what drone you have but I think all DJI drone have that.

not all DJI drones have a landing light.

Only 1 sensor is measuring height, so only 1 sensor for the shut off of after landing.

cheers
JJB
2022-12-19
Use props
Andreai92
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9056693 ft
Italy

have you simply tried to switch obstacle avoidance off?
On page 31 of the 1.8 version of the Mavic 3 manual I read this information and it seems working fine..
2022-12-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer posted something a few days ago that might be of use if you have space around a fogged in landing spot and were 'stranded' 'up high'. from page 68 of the 1.6 version of the Mavic 3 manual.
2022-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules