A question for DJI. With drones that have obstacle avoidance that...
887 8 2022-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

can cause a drone to climb. If the drone starts the RTH procedure BELOW the RTH height can obstacle avoidance force the drone above the RTH height.
Alternatively if any members have experienced a drone breaking the RTH height because of obstacle avoidance or getting 'stuck' behind an obstacle that was higer than the RTH height PLEASE, 'speak' up.

Second question, if the drone started the RTH ABOVE the RTH height can obstacle avoidance force the drone to climb?

2022-10-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

A question for DJI ??
You should know by now that you won't get DJI to answer technical questions here.
About the best you can hope for would be ...
Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. I hope that our valued DJI members can provide the best information for this inquiry. Thank you for your valued support

Do a little testing if you want to find out.

2022-10-31
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Actually I have had some straight forward answers from DJI, they are rare but they exist.
But thank you for your comment.
2022-10-31
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. Would you please tell us one specific aircraft model? The RTH logic varies with aircraft models.
2022-10-31
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 10-31 22:17
Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. Would you please tell us one specific aircraft model? The RTH logic varies with aircraft models.

Lets say a Mini 3 Pro. Thanks
2022-10-31
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

I think your questions can be answered by combining two parts in the User Manual(See picture).
Based on your context, the aircraft ascends to set RTH height when RTH, we can only presume the scenario you said is under Smart RTH plus the aircraft is farther than 50 m from the Home Point when RTH begins.
Under Smart RTH, the aircraft will initiate Straight-line RTH, the said situation:  If the drone starts the RTH procedure BELOW the RTH height, can obstacle avoidance force the drone above the RTH height?
Precisely, the drone will ascend to the preset RTH altitude, not because of obstacle avoidance.
a drone breaking the RTH height because of obstacle avoidance or getting 'stuck' behind an obstacle that was higer than the RTH height
if the drone started the RTH ABOVE the RTH height can obstacle avoidance force the drone to climb?
From my perspective, the two questions are the same, so I will answer in one.
the aircraft will not fly over the set RTH height. In this case, the aircraft will hover behind the obstacle.
You may control the aircraft to descend to a certain height or bypass the obstacle, otherwise, the aircraft will hover to the point to initiate Low Battery RTH.

2022-11-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ok and thanks
2022-11-1
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Wanda Posted at 11-1 01:13
I think your questions can be answered by combining two parts in the User Manual(See picture).
Based on your context, the aircraft ascends to set RTH height when RTH, we can only presume the scenario you said is under Smart RTH plus the aircraft is farther than 50 m from the Home Point when RTH begins.
Under Smart RTH, the aircraft will initiate Straight-line RTH, the said situation:  If the drone starts the RTH procedure BELOW the RTH height, can obstacle avoidance force the drone above the RTH height?

uh...

A simple question...
if the drone started the RTH ABOVE the RTH height can obstacle avoidance force the drone to climb?

DJI answer....
From my perspective, the two questions are the same, so I will answer in one.
the aircraft will not fly over the set RTH height. In this case, the aircraft will hover behind the obstacle.

Not correct.....a Mini3Pro drone will climb in a RTH (RTH started > 50 meter from HP) to avoid an obstacle, even if it started a RTH flying above the RTH setting.
if weather permits i will make video for this.....

cheers
JJB

2022-11-1
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

JJB* Posted at 11-1 04:11
uh...

A simple question...

Thanks, for your reaching out, JJB
Please keep us updating.
2022-11-1