How many miles is a lot of miles?
1881 37 2022-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20369816 ft
United States

I have been flying my mini 2 for a while and last night when doing  updates I noticed I have now flown 555 miles in 54 hours flight time  within 187 days since I got the drone.

My  question is how many miles can I fly a mini 2 in its life time?  is it  like a car after so many miles/km?  Do things need to be maintained? I  have changed the propellers a few times and I have never crashed the  drone. But I would imagine after awhile things will start wearing out.

That is why I posted this thread to learn if i should be concerned about Aircraft fatigue or anything like motor burnout during flight?

2022-11-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Ms Ivy. Thank you for reaching out. Most DJI products do not have an indicated life span including the DJI Mini 2. You may continue flying the drone as long as it operates. Just note that wear and tear are normal in electronic products sold on the market currently. Additionally, we have certain recommendations on how you can maintain your drone. Please refer to this link and check relevant safety measures and proper maintenance of your drone: {links: (https://www.dji.com/mini-2/downloads) (https://store.dji.com/guides/properly-maintain-drone)}. DJI is dedicated to providing quality products. With proper use and care, you should be able to use your drone for a longer time. Should you have any concerns or inquiries, please do not hesitate to reach us here at DJI Forum. Thank you for your continued support.
2022-11-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Life span can be somewhat similar to a car's lifespan.  It is based on quality of the build and if premium parts were used.  Also, how well it's maintained and how roughly it's been operated and what environment it has been operating in.  The motors and props will wear out much sooner when flown mostly in Sport's mode and extremely hot climates for example.  All of this and more factors into the lifespan of a drone.  I'd bet that most pilots move up to a newer drone and just retire the old one before it is no longer flyable.
2022-11-1
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

I would venture to suggest that, with due care, there's plenty of life still to be had from your drone.  How much? That's like the old question: How long is a piece of string?
2022-11-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I would imagine after awhile things will start wearing out.
There's not much to wear out on your drone.
The brushless motors have a life of thousands of hours.
Your propellers should last hundreds of hours if they are only chopping air.
2022-11-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have 1000 miles on my Mini 2 and 2300 miles on my Mini 3,  both are still in excellent condition still.   Mini 3 is on the orginal props.
2022-11-2
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

2300 miles on your Mini 3 already... How do you find time to sleep,
2022-11-2
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23418189 ft
United States

No Original Thought Posted at 11-2 06:12
2300 miles on your Mini 3 already... How do you find time to sleep,

I mean... It is possible. If they received it on the day it was released and flew it every day since then, that's around 13 miles per day. One battery could feasibly give around 10 to 13 miles if they held down full stick the entire time.
2022-11-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Actually its 2311 miles

2022-11-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

blue_canyon21 Posted at 11-2 06:39
I mean... It is possible. If they received it on the day it was released and flew it every day since then, that's around 13 miles per day. One battery could feasibly give around 10 to 13 miles if they held down full stick the entire time.

I have 3 regular batteries and the plus battery,  although the plus is currently with DJI for defective tabs breaking.   Currently at 2311 on Mini3,  would be more but the poor thing doesn't handle wind too well.
2022-11-2
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
United States

How many flights? Just curious...
2022-11-2
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 11-1 08:31
Hi, Ms Ivy. Thank you for reaching out. Most DJI products do not have an indicated life span including the DJI Mini 2. You may continue flying the drone as long as it operates. Just note that wear and tear are normal in electronic products sold on the market currently. Additionally, we have certain recommendations on how you can maintain your drone. Please refer to this link and check relevant safety measures and proper maintenance of your drone: {links: (https://www.dji.com/mini-2/downloads) (https://store.dji.com/guides/properly-maintain-drone)}. DJI is dedicated to providing quality products. With proper use and care, you should be able to use your drone for a longer time. Should you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact our DJI support at http://www.dji.com/support, we are always here to help.

Thank you for the information very helpful
2022-11-2
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

Thank you for your post DAflys good to know I am not the only one that flys 10 plus miles a day & that makes
me happy  to learn that my mini 2 has a while to go.
2022-11-2
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-1 19:54
I would imagine after awhile things will start wearing out.
There's not much to wear out on your drone.
The brushless motors have a life of thousands of hours.

I have replaced the propellers twice since i owned the drone.  once after 200 flights and the second time i had noticed a stress crack going down the back left prop  after another 100 fights so i replaced them all for safety reasons 12 props are cheap compared to loosing a beloved drone.
The motors are my biggest concern . then the circuitry of the drone. I know things wear out over time that is why i was inquiring  

Thank you for your reply
2022-11-2
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 11-1 12:44
I would venture to suggest that, with due care, there's plenty of life still to be had from your drone.  How much? That's like the old question: How long is a piece of string?

Thank you for the reply .
I do plan on flying this little mini until the wheels fall off so to speak
2022-11-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

blue_canyon21 Posted at 11-2 10:09
How many flights? Just curious...

I do t know how to tell that one.  But at a guess.  7000minutes / 20min avg flight is 350.
2022-11-2
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-1 10:22
Life span can be somewhat similar to a car's lifespan.  It is based on quality of the build and if premium parts were used.  Also, how well it's maintained and how roughly it's been operated and what environment it has been operating in.  The motors and props will wear out much sooner when flown mostly in Sport's mode and extremely hot climates for example.  All of this and more factors into the lifespan of a drone.  I'd bet that most pilots move up to a newer drone and just retire the old one before it is no longer flyable.

Great reply thank you for the information
I like to operate when its cooler in the evenings or at sunrise .. though I do fly in areas of the Mountains that sometimes have  ground fog. which I properly should not do
I am very careful to not do stupid things like fly in or around stands of trees or take into wet area's that may put in danger of a crashing in water . so My biggest concern was the motors  quitting during flight which would be catastrophic
2022-11-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ms Ivy Posted at 11-2 10:19
Thank you for your post DAflys good to know I am not the only one that flys 10 plus miles a day & that makes
me happy  to learn that my mini 2 has a while to go.

No probs ms ivy.
2022-11-2
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

Ms Ivy Posted at 11-2 10:25
Thank you for the reply .
I do plan on flying this little mini until the wheels fall off so to speak

My philosophy too
2022-11-2
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Ms Ivy Posted at 11-2 10:15
Thank you for the information very helpful

Glad that we could be of assistance, Ms Ivy. We hope you continue to enjoy your DJI Product. If you have further questions, please post here at DJI Forum. Thank you for your continued support!
2022-11-2
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

It all depends. Are you riding or crawling?
2022-11-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Ms Ivy Posted at 11-2 10:30
I like to operate when its cooler in the evenings or at sunrise .. though I do fly in areas of the Mountains that sometimes have  ground fog. which I properly should not do
I am very careful to not do stupid things like fly in or around stands of trees or take into wet area's that may put in danger of a crashing in water . so My biggest concern was the motors  quitting during flight which would be catastrophic

My biggest concern was the motors  quitting during flight which would be catastrophic
The reliability of your motors should be the least of your worries.
Brushless motors have an exceptional reliability.
2022-11-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Ms Ivy Posted at 11-2 10:30

You're very welcome Ms Ivy.  With brushless motors they tend to last much longer than non-brushless motors.  Before every flight I check the props for cracks and also spin all 4 motors to make sure they are turning freely.  I had one motor on a Mini 2 that got some sand particles in it and it didn't turn smooth so I blew it out with canned air.  Still didn't help so I replaced it myself.  I didn't want to take any chances on it.  I have had to replace a couple of batteries but that was before I bought some spares and got up to around 190 charges and was seeing a little bloating so disposed of it.  
2022-11-2
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-2 13:55
My biggest concern was the motors  quitting during flight which would be catastrophic
The reliability of your motors should be the least of your worries.
Brushless motors have an exceptional reliability.

That is great to know
2022-11-3
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-2 14:07
You're very welcome Ms Ivy.  With brushless motors they tend to last much longer than non-brushless motors.  Before every flight I check the props for cracks and also spin all 4 motors to make sure they are turning freely.  I had one motor on a Mini 2 that got some sand particles in it and it didn't turn smooth so I blew it out with canned air.  Still didn't help so I replaced it myself.  I didn't want to take any chances on it.  I have had to replace a couple of batteries but that was before I bought some spares and got up to around 190 charges and was seeing a little bloating so disposed of it.

I have about 70 cycles on all 3 batteries I currently own. and I found a hobby store that is a DJI dealer that sells 2 replacement batteries and a new charging hub for around $149. I seen them when bought a new C type controller cord from them because I had chop the other one by accident when closing up the controller in hast lesson learned.
2022-11-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Ms Ivy Posted at 11-3 06:37
I have about 70 cycles on all 3 batteries I currently own. and I found a hobby store that is a DJI dealer that sells 2 replacement batteries and a new charging hub for around $149. I seen them when bought a new C type controller cord from them because I had chop the other one by accident when closing up the controller in hast lesson learned.

With only 70 cycles your batteries should be good for a lot more use.  
2022-11-3
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-3 09:48
With only 70 cycles your batteries should be good for a lot more use.

All 3 of my original Fly More batteries started swelling at 80 cycles with around 18 hours of use each.

I contacted DJI about it and they replaced all of them on warranty.
2022-11-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

blue_canyon21 Posted at 11-3 11:41
All 3 of my original Fly More batteries started swelling at 80 cycles with around 18 hours of use each.

I contacted DJI about it and they replaced all of them on warranty.

That's great to hear that DJI replaced all of them under warranty.  
2022-11-4
Use props
Drey. I
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1757375 ft
  • >>>
United States

I know right
2022-11-4
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

Not just a lot of miles... Is this the most popular forum post ever?

Over a million views and a comment for every view!
Screenshot_20221105-140802.png
2022-11-5
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

No Original Thought Posted at 11-5 06:10
Not just a lot of miles... Is this the most popular forum post ever?

Over a million views and a comment for every view!

Dang...lol
2022-11-5
Use props
hesveymartin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 192825 ft
Philippines

DowntownRDB Posted at 2022-11-3 09:48
With only 70 cycles your batteries should be good for a lot more use.

how and where can we see the number of battery cycles please? thank you!
2023-6-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's shown in one of the menus or sub menus in the App but I can't remember where.
With some drones it is recorded in the flight log but seems to have disappeared post Mavic Mini.
You can get a count in Airdata but be aware that the count is based on, at a guess, how many times Airdata has 'seen' a significant charge increase i.e. if a battery's history on Airdata is incomplete then the count is inaccurate.
2023-6-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

hesveymartin Posted at 6-25 07:19
how and where can we see the number of battery cycles please? thank you!

2023-6-26
Use props
hesveymartin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 192825 ft
Philippines

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-26 03:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=869Wej5k2NI

Thanks DowntownRDB!!
2023-6-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

You're very welcome.  Hope you have a great week.
2023-6-26
Use props
HerbA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1209682 ft
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2022-11-1 08:31
Hi, Ms Ivy. Thank you for reaching out. Most DJI products do not have an indicated life span including the DJI Mini 2. You may continue flying the drone as long as it operates. Just note that wear and tear are normal in electronic products sold on the market currently. Additionally, we have certain recommendations on how you can maintain your drone. Please refer to this link and check relevant safety measures and proper maintenance of your drone: {links: (https://www.dji.com/mini-2/downloads) (https://store.dji.com/guides/properly-maintain-drone)}. DJI is dedicated to providing quality products. With proper use and care, you should be able to use your drone for a longer time. Should you have any concerns or inquiries, please do not hesitate to reach us here at DJI Forum. Thank you for your continued support.

Thanks for the maintenance doc. I'm only at 184 miles flown at 40.9 hours, so I have a (hopefully) long life ahead of my drone, will treat it like my car and do the work to keep it optimal, this helps in doing so.
2023-6-26
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

HerbA Posted at 6-26 08:47
Thanks for the maintenance doc. I'm only at 184 miles flown at 40.9 hours, so I have a (hopefully) long life ahead of my drone, will treat it like my car and do the work to keep it optimal, this helps in doing so.

You are most welcome! Please reach us back here should you have other concerns.
2023-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules