Avata - easy for beginner
1100 10 2022-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SidneyW
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

This is the easier FPV drone to fly especially for beginner when it is setup properly. The goggle is much better than the Gen1 (2017 for Phantom 4). I am in my 70's and my son in law is in his 50's who never flew drone before. After setup, I spent time getting use to the motion controller. Took a couple of test flights before I gave him a few pointers. He spent about 15-20 minutes in DJI Virture Flight and took off for the first time.  The video shows the first 2 min vs the last 2 min how much he picked up confidence.

I have used Nasa-M, Wookong-M, Phantom, Phantom Vision, Phantom 2, 3 and 4, Spark, Mavic Pro, Mavic 2, Mavic air, DJI Mini. To have success in flying DJI products, one must have good knowledge with PC, internet connectiviity and willingness to learn.  Don't try to hot-shot pilot, follow the (safety rules).

2022-11-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

pretty nice for a first flight, normally you take it to an open field with no obstacles.  the motion controller makes it look easy!  nice fall foliage btw.

2022-11-2
Use props
SidneyW
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Getting too old to remember how to html embed ....  it was baby steps for him at the beginning.
2022-11-2
Use props
Woobisah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1702457 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is easier in Normal/Sport mode, but in Manual/Acro mode there is no advantage other then being able to switch back to Normal mode.
2022-11-2
Use props
SidneyW
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Agree, manual mode is really for more experience pilot into 3D.  3D helicopter pilot did not use stabilizer until mid 2000 until flybarless became popular.  But, good pilots will admit making mistake and learn from it.
2022-11-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there SidneyW. Thank you for sharing these interesting information with us. Here are some information on the benefits of choosing DJI Avata for beginners :

1. When using the standard DJI Motion Controller in one of the combos, you can perform motion control on the aircraft. That is, you can turn your wrist to control the direction of flight, and the aircraft will fly wherever you point to. You can also press the accelerator to control the speed of flying forward, or release the accelerator to let the aircraft hover in place. The control is intuitive and easy-to-learn.
2. With DJI Goggles 2, you can use the head tracking function. Together with DJI Motion Controller, the easy and intuitive control can bring a stronger sense of immersion and allow you to easily complete various kinds of flight movements.
3. As you have mentioned above the DJI Avata is compatible with the DJI Virtual Flight application. When using it with the goggles and remote controller, you can immerse yourself in the vivid scenarios and start flight simulation, get realistic control feedback, and master flight skills and emergency handling methods. As a result, you can be more confident when flying in the real world.

Thank you and keep flying.
2022-11-2
Use props
SidneyW
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

@stephen,  I was merely pointing out how easy it is to fly with motion controller vs traditional RC control. Instead of three stick inputs (aileron, throttle and rudder) , the motion control makes it easy by twisting the hand and trigger the throttle.

Nevertheless, DJI products require good understanding 6-DOF, use of PC or smart phone and network connectivity as I have stated. In the case of Avata with motion controller, calibrating the aircraft, goggle and motion control is a must before flight. Other tips I have come to notice :

1) Formatted SD card from PC might not work. I have to reformat using the goggle.
2) charging the flight battery and google battery requires high power charger; in my case, my laptop charger (thunderbolt) works perfectly. They can be fully charged in less than 35 min.
3) charging the motion controller is another story; it won't charge with USB-C high power charger.  However, USB-C to USB works.

I know some hardcore pilot in FPV will disagree the use of motion controller, and opt for the traditional one for more precise flying.  Specially for 3D flying that motion controller does not provide manual mode. For them, they can always switch controller.  Avata with motion controller allows inexperience pilot to enjoy the sensation in flying FPV mode, and the ability to share their experience.

I have been using DJI mini the most; Avata will soon become my second favorite. Best way to enjoy is to find a friend who is well familiar with DJI products and learn from there.  The flying part is easy (Avata)  than the setup and understand the physics behind it.  Good luck and have fun.
2022-11-3
Use props
SidneyW
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Second son in law, his 2nd flight. Amazingly easy he said.
2022-11-10
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 618904 ft
United States

I find the Avata SUPER easy.   I used to race RC cars semi professionally, I've flown RC airplanes a bit,  and I have a MIni 3 Pro I've been flying.  TBH - the motion controller with the Avata is the most intuitive thing I've ever piloted.   I spent the afternoon cruising around a construction site effortlessly  getting very close to objects, zooming in and out of doorways, etc... all very intuitive.   I did crash once, but turtle mode saved the day.    I love how different this drone is from the Mini 3 Pro which I love as well, but it is good at very different things than this drone is.
2022-11-12
Use props
SidneyW
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I totally agree, Avata is so easy to operate.   I use the 1st gen Mini more than DJI Air, Mavic 2, because it is inexpensive even if I lose it. Since it is less than 250 grams I can take it anyway.  May get the Mini 3 Pro next. I've head a lot of good things about it.
2022-11-12
Use props
SidneyW
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Got this finally. Now I can take the Avata out with 3 batteries. I didn't want to do it with a single battery.

2022-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules