12Next >
1724 45 2022-11-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sethgeib
lvl.2
Flight distance : 330226 ft
United States

I recently upgraded from an original Mavic Air to the Mini 3 Pro and would like to request some additional features to the firmware of the device to bring it up to par with my previous drone.

• RAW Only Mode For Stills - I do not want to shoot JPG files, and prefer to work with only RAW files. This includes all panorama modes, as I prefer to stitch RAW images myself inside of Lightroom. JPG files take up space on my SD card and make it difficult to sort my images when transfering them. Please add a RAW Only mode to stills options.
  • QuickTransfer RAW Images - RAW images do not currently transfer during QuickTransfer. I love the feature and I love how fast files transfer, but again, I have no use for the JPG image format. Please adjust the firmware so that RAW images transfer to my mobile device during QuickTransfer.
  • "Night Mode" Lighting Saftey Options - Currently the forward facing green lights blink on and off very slowly, effectively making the drone invisible at night for seconds at a time. This makes it difficult to spot the drone from below when flying the craft at night. Please provide a Saftey section option for Night Mode (maybe an auto mode option as well that detects if it is night outside) that makes the drone's red lights stay on solid/permanently during flight (except when shooting images or video) and then flash green intermitantly like they currently do. This will help with piloting visibility greatly. I am willing to sacrifice some battery life for this feature.

I hope others will support me in these requests for the features. Thanks for your consideration of these features. Have a great day, and keep up the awesome work!

Thanks again!
2022-11-3
Use props
chrisvomradio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3241519 ft
Germany

+1 for quick transfer RAW images
2022-11-3
Use props
PhantomX
lvl.3
United States

Agree on RAW images and precision landing.

Additional request:

•D-Cinelike for Quick Shots
2022-11-3
Use props
SpectreOne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 79659 ft
United States

Agree with RAW only stills, precision landing, and continuous file naming. I would also like laser beams to cut rouge branches down.
2022-11-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, sethgeib. Thank you for reaching out! We have recorded your request and we will provide this feedback to the related department.  Please check DJI's official website for the latest updates. Thank you for your support!
2022-11-3
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Certainly the first 2.
RAW+JPG means i need to remember to delete all the JPGs from each image download or i waste quite a lot of space over time.

And yes, DNG transfer so i can edit in Lightroom on my tablet in the field would be great.
2022-11-3
Use props
sethgeib
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 11-3 09:10
Hi, sethgeib. Thank you for reaching out! We have recorded your request and we will provide this feedback to the related department.  Please check DJI's official website for the latest updates. Thank you for your support!

Awesome, thank you so much! I really appreciate all you guys do to keep the firmware updates coming. So many other great ideas in this thread as well!
2022-11-3
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"Night Mode" Lighting Saftey Options
Two questions relating to that,
1) do the front lights interfer with recording video i.e. do they cause a colour cast in video?
2) in the USA are you not meant to have strobes fitted to the drone for night flight, such strobes to be visible for 3 miles? If that is so isn't your point moot?
2022-11-3
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 11-3 09:52
1) do the front lights interfer with recording video i.e. do they cause a colour cast in video?

Recreational flights do not need strobes. Part 107 flights need them. Sounds backwards, but that's how it is.
2022-11-3
Use props
Gremlin17
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2354931 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Waypoints please, and cruise control. Thank you.
2022-11-3
Use props
sethgeib
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 11-3 09:52

1. I've not typically found the lighting color cast to be an issue on other craft, only when the humidity is high, or in fog, but I understand the Mini might be more susceptible due to its size. This why I mentioned having the lights turn off when recording or shooting photos, as they currently do already. I also definitely want this feature to be toggleable, so in certain situations we can opt out of the additional lighting, if need be.
2. I attach a strobe, but it is to the top of the craft, making it visible to aircraft above. The point of the strobe is for aircraft collision avoidance, not ground visibility. My desire for having a persistent light on the limb LEDs is so I can track the craft from the ground easier, specifically with landing and takeoff. Having the craft essentially disappear for 1.5 seconds between strobes is disconcerting, especially at low altitudes, like landing and takeoff.
2022-11-3
Use props
sethgeib
lvl.2
United States

Gremlin17 Posted at 11-3 10:10
Waypoints please, and cruise control. Thank you.

Oh for sure!!! +1 both of those! You can already do waypoints in hyperlapse, so why not for video?
2022-11-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

sethgeib Posted at 11-3 09:23
Awesome, thank you so much! I really appreciate all you guys do to keep the firmware updates coming. So many other great ideas in this thread as well!

You are most welcome, sethgeib. We are here to help. Thank you for your valued support!
2022-11-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sethgeib Posted at 11-3 09:23

I hate to pop ya bubble but do not get too excited chap, these things can take many, many months or not at all, the reply you got is pretty much standard operating procedure I'm afraid. Some of the suggestions in this thread have been asked for from pretty much day one with the same reply from the DJI media team. All they can do is relay the message for us to someone's inbox.

I too would love to see Precision Landing, Waypoints, Cruise Control, Bump to initiate take-off, Continous file naming and some control during RTH.
2022-11-3
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

We have to hava a JPG format for still photography,not everyone has a computer or the storage space to process RAW.
2022-11-3
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
United States

Pastime Posted at 11-3 20:10
We have to hava a JPG format for still photography,not everyone has a computer or the storage space to process RAW.

I should say a computer capable and the software to process RAW files.
2022-11-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think the idea is to have a RAW only option added, not to lose JPG, that will never happen, not unless a new format ever comes out.
2022-11-3
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 11-3 22:16
I think the idea is to have a RAW only option added, not to lose JPG, that will never happen, not unless a new format ever comes out.

That could be,which makes sense.
2022-11-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

+1 Great suggestions.
2022-11-4
Use props
sethgeib
lvl.2
United States

Bashy Posted at 11-3 19:44
I hate to pop ya bubble but do not get too excited chap, these things can take many, many months or not at all, the reply you got is pretty much standard operating procedure I'm afraid. Some of the suggestions in this thread have been asked for from pretty much day one with the same reply from the DJI media team. All they can do is relay the message for us to someone's inbox.

I too would love to see Precision Landing, Waypoints, Cruise Control, Bump to initiate take-off, Continous file naming and some control during RTH.

You’re not bursting my bubble at all. I work as a software developer, so I completely understand how it works. I was just trying to be positive.
2022-11-4
Use props
sethgeib
lvl.2
United States

Yeah. I didn’t mention removing the JPG option. I understand other people use it. I just wanted "RAW Only" added as a third option.
2022-11-4
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
United States

sethgeib Posted at 11-4 01:49
Yeah. I didn’t mention removing the JPG option. I understand other people use it. I just wanted "RAW Only" added as a third option.

I figured it out now,and yes that would not be a bad idea to have a Raw only option.
2022-11-4
Use props
BroomRider
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1262136 ft
United States

! Requested Option !

I'm still pushing for the (IMO) MUCH more useful option to allow a  sensible attitude indicator, not the soviet-style right/left bank  indicator, which is what DJI uses now.

For example, in any other aircraft, when it banks to the right or left, the bank indicator displays the horizon in relation to the aircraft.

Only the Soviets (Russians now?) use the horizon level to indicate the bank attitude, which is both stupid, backward, misleading & confusing.

You can see an example in the screenshot below; the aircraft is in a hard right bank, even displayed & confirmed by the horizon level in the screenshot & yet the DJI bank indicator level is... what?

Showing a hard bank to the left!?

Some, including DJI it seems, may prefer the backward Soviet-style used currently.

What I & many other pilots would much prefer is the intelligent & conventional right-left bank attitude indicator option to switch between 1 or the other.

After all, we are flying the aircraft looking through the display, & seldom from the ground & even then, we're looking at the aircraft directly, not at the screen.

Such a disparity might even lead to a crash!

I don't think it would be that  complicated to enable...

HOW ABOUT IT, DJI?

Example of DJI bank indicator

Example of DJI bank indicator

2022-11-4
Use props
sethgeib
lvl.2
United States

Dang... you're right BroomRider, that is totally backwards from what I am used to, now that you mention it. You're correct, the blue should indicate horizon level, not craft orientation. I second your suggestion to update that. For reference an see the example of a proper attitude indicator below:

7-24-768x903.png
2022-11-4
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

If you do not turn on the FPV mode, then the camera is always on the horizon. That Radar shows the position of the Drone. It suits me.
But as an option for switching the mode, you can do it, but with a different visual design, so as not to confuse the Radar in which mode.
2022-11-4
Use props
BroomRider
lvl.3
United States

Drone.Hunter Posted at 11-4 07:32
If you do not turn on the FPV mode, then the camera is always on the horizon. That Radar shows the position of the Drone. It suits me.
But as an option for switching the mode, you can do it, but with a different visual design, so as not to confuse the Radar in which mode.

As you can see looking at the screenshot I posted, there are times when the camera is not always level with the horizon; in the 1 I posted, it's not in FPV mode.

I'm unsure what you mean by "But as an option for switching the mode, you can do it"...

I'm not asking for the right-left bank indicator to be switched to the much more common & intelligent display mode, just that the OPTION be available if one should so choose. As I stated in my post.

IF you know of a way to switch the right-left bank indicator to the one I described above, & then another member explained in the post following mine, please do share!
2022-11-4
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

I'm in favor of making a switch, and changing the appearance of the Radar for a visual difference.
2022-11-4
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

You are making one simple mistake. On the Fly app, it is an ATTITUDE indicator, on an airplane, it is a false horizon. Two completely different gauges. PRACTICE!!
2022-11-4
Use props
BroomRider
lvl.3
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 11-4 09:25
You are making one simple mistake. On the Fly app, it is an ATTITUDE indicator, on an airplane, it is a false horizon. Two completely different gauges. PRACTICE!!

I get the difference.

It's a matter of preference.

But, it IS an aircraft, is it not?

For those of us who have actually flown an aircraft, the disparity is beyond annoying.

Fixed-wing aircraft attitude indicators work that way, & so do those in helicopters, which is essentially what the DJI drones are.

IF your assertion is correct, then why, when accelerating, does the horizon rise in the display, as the nose dips down, & when decelerating, does the horizon lower in the display, as the tail dips down? In that aspect, the attitude indicator in the radar display works correctly.

Yet, the right & left bank attitude indicator works just the opposite... the current attitude display is not only inaccurate, it's misleading. This is also true when accelerating & decelerating laterally.

I'm asking for the OPTION to switch the attitude display mode to a more realistic display.

If you like it the way it is, then fine, you practice with it & enjoy it as you like.

Others like myself would much prefer the option to switch the attitude display to the more realistic & conventional display mode.

IF DJI cares to expand their market sales, they'd likely be willing to make this option available, instead of merely leaving it as it is, & with the lazy response of, " Practice!! "

Their reviews shall reflect their decisions accordingly.

You have a really nice day!
2022-11-4
Use props
sethgeib
lvl.2
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 11-4 09:25

I don't think you understand what an attitude indicator is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attitude_indicator An attitude indicator IS a false/artificial horizon. PRACTICE your terminology.
2022-11-4
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

sethgeib Posted at 11-4 10:41
I don't think you understand what an attitude indicator is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attitude_indicator An attitude indicator IS a false/artificial horizon. PRACTICE your terminology.

You realize that article is for fixed wing aircraft? On the Fly app, the horizontal line is the centerline of the camera in pitch and the arms in roll. It makes perfect sense when you look at it taht way. Just like musicians, a guitar, mandolin and banjo are all completely different, bur many musicians paly those and more equally well. PRACTICE!
2022-11-4
Use props
sethgeib
lvl.2
United States

Attitude indicators are the same for rotorcraft as they are for fixed wing aircraft. Example: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/898837/pn/010-GI275-11 Attitude indicators always show the horizon in comparison with the craft, not the other way around. This is because the craft is the pilot's reference point.

The analogy to practicing musical instruments would be like asking a seasoned guitar player to play on a guitar with the strings in reverse order. They are going to be horrible at it. Sure, they could practice with the reverse-ordered strings until they are proficient, but why not just put the strings back in the normal order. This request is not about practice, it is about standards.
2022-11-4
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

sethgeib Posted at 11-4 12:37
Attitude indicators are the same for rotorcraft as they are for fixed wing aircraft. Example: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/898837/pn/010-GI275-11 Attitude indicators always show the horizon in comparison with the craft, not the other way around. This is because the craft is the pilot's reference point.

The analogy to practicing musical instruments would be like asking a seasoned guitar player to play on a guitar with the strings in reverse order. They are going to be horrible at it. Sure, they could practice with the reverse-ordered strings until they are proficient, but why not just put the strings back in the normal order. This request is not about practice, it is about standards.

A quad is not a rotor or fixed wing. It is a new class. Your reverse string analogy is correct. It takes PRACTICE!
2022-11-4
Use props
BroomRider
lvl.3
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 11-4 12:02
You realize that article is for fixed wing aircraft? On the Fly app, the horizontal line is the centerline of the camera in pitch and the arms in roll. It makes perfect sense when you look at it taht way. Just like musicians, a guitar, mandolin and banjo are all completely different, bur many musicians paly those and more equally well. PRACTICE!

You are making not 1, not 2, but 3 simple mistakes!

1. The artificial horizon works the same way, regardless of the type of aircraft (fixed or rotary wing), in all aircraft, except for the soviet/Russian aircraft. There have been documented air tragedies due to pilots being trained & experienced on soviet aircraft, & then later flying Western aircraft, which have become the standard worldwide. Those tragedies have resulted in the total loss of the aircraft involved, & all the lives on board. Just 1 example: Avionics Safety Mode Confusion When reading this, ignore the other mitigating & compounding factors which contributed to the crash; as in, do not miss the point re: the fundamental differences between the soviet- & Western-style attitude indicators.

2. The musical instruments you mentioned in reference to sethgeib's post, all work on the same basic principle & pattern. The order of the strings is all the same, regardless of the minor differences in the instruments themselves. You are completely missing his well-made point!

3. I am asking for the OPTION to change the attitude indicator to correspond to every other Western-style attitude indicator, NOT to make that change global & neither to remove the choice of personal preference. You seem to have the mistaken impression that I'm asking to remove that choice, & making the switch from soviet-style to Western-style mandatory & irreversible.

DJI seems to have developed its control & indicator interface as a result of armchair gaming & flight simulators, not from practical aircraft flight experience. If you are merely simping as a fan-boi for DJI, you are just supporting their errors & showing your own inexperience, arrogance & narrow-mindedness in the process.

I suspect that DJI might also have made their choice as to their mode of attitude indicator display due to both their proximity to Russia, & maybe even their loyalty due to their both being communist countries, but both of those are mere speculation on my part. It might also be simply a combination of arrogance & laziness on their part, similar to your own tone of responses. The issue is in no way a matter of "PRACTICE!" but of being responsive to both globally-recognized flight conventions, & more importantly, to those who make their business what it is today, their CUSTOMERS!

A final word of advice: "PRACTICE!" opening your mind to encompass other options to the status quo. A mind is like a parachute: It only functions when open.
2022-11-26
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

BroomRider Posted at 11-26 06:44
You are making not 1, not 2, but 3 simple mistakes!

1. The artificial horizon works the same way, regardless of the type of aircraft (fixed or rotary wing), in all aircraft, except for the soviet/Russian aircraft. There have been documented air tragedies due to pilots being trained & experienced on soviet aircraft, & then later flying Western aircraft, which have become the standard worldwide. Those tragedies have resulted in the total loss of the aircraft involved, & all the lives on board. Just 1 example: Avionics Safety Mode Confusion When reading this, ignore the other mitigating & compounding factors which contributed to the crash; as in, do not miss the point re: the fundamental differences between the soviet- & Western-style attitude indicators.

As to point number 2, NO the instruments have different tunings, fret and string spacings. MY well made point is this, old dogs CAN learn new tricks. We definitely agree on one point - PRACTICE!!!
2022-11-26
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

* Give me rotation control on RTH, like Mini 2
* Clear warning that you haven't put in the SD card, like Mini 2
* Compass rotation on the blue pointer indicator as RC controller turns, the same as on a phone with RC-N1
* Wind speed estimation
2022-11-26
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

Zoooom Posted at 11-26 07:53
* Give me rotation control on RTH, like Mini 2
* Clear warning that you haven't put in the SD card, like Mini 2
* Compass rotation on the blue pointer indicator as RC controller turns, the same as on a phone with RC-N1

>>  Compass rotation on the blue pointer indicator as RC controller turns, the same as on a phone with RC-N1
What are the problems with rotation?
2022-11-26
Use props
BroomRider
lvl.3
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 11-26 06:58
As to point number 2, NO the instruments have different tunings, fret and string spacings. MY well made point is this, old dogs CAN learn new tricks. We definitely agree on one point - PRACTICE!!!

Again, on the musical instrument analogy, the OP's point has flown way over your head.

Again, on your " PRACTICE! " point, my own point has flown way over your head too.

It's not a matter of any ' practice ' involved; in spite of <5 months of flying any kind of RC aircraft, & being self-taught from the beginning, & having flown >half a million feet, I've not had a single crash or even any other sort of accident or even near accident or even incident.

" Practice! " isn't nor ever has been an issue... it's merely a personal preference, & I'm not singular in my interest in the option. Your implication that it is, borders on both insulting & arrogant, & shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the concept of "Option".

As to DJI, they would do well to keep in mind, there are options. American Drone Companies (the current state of restrictions re: DJI use in the USA)

I can't help but notice that you haven't disputed or denied my prior #1 or #3 points...
2022-11-26
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

BroomRider Posted at 11-26 09:22
Again, on the musical instrument analogy, the OP's point has flown way over your head.

Again, on your " PRACTICE! " point, my own point has flown way over your head too.

OK point 1 - there is NO correct way to do it!!! Russian AND Western are both correct, and take, dare I say it, PRACTICE to become familiar with it!!
Point 3 - option - that is such a miniscule portion of changes that NEED to be implemented by DJI, why dwell on it?One other point, say you vacationed in the UK, or Australia, would you drive on the right-hand side of the road?

Bye, Felicia
2022-11-26
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

Drone.Hunter Posted at 11-26 07:58
>>  Compass rotation on the blue pointer indicator as RC controller turns, the same as on a phone with RC-N1
What are the problems with rotation?

In DJI RC, the compass area is very small, and it seems to have no option on the top left.
In RC-N1, you get the option of drone straight up, or controller straight up.
2022-11-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules