Uploading a KMZ file to the DJI Pilot app
6935 12 2022-11-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
test_pilot
lvl.1

Netherlands

Dear DJI community,

At this moment I am quite new to using the DJI matrice 300 rtk and am stuck on a problem. I am trying to create a KMZ file and upload this to the drone. I created a file using the documentation as I found here: https://developer.dji.com/doc/cloud-api-tutorial/en/specification/dji-wpml/overview.html#how-to-use-wpml

I tried to upload this format to the DJI pilot app. But this gives a popup that says only KML imports are allowed. So I was wondering if there is a method to upload this to the drone using the DJI pilot app or a different method is required.

Thanks in advance!
2022-11-3
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

In Google Earth right-click the kmz polygon and choose "save place as.." and save it as a kml
2022-11-3
Use props
test_pilot
lvl.1

Netherlands

Thank you for your quick response. I could not load the converted kml in DJI Pilot yet unfortunately, but it could be the case I did not save the data in the correct way and I have made a slight mistake. I will try this again later. I still have another question. Do you know if commands such as hover time at certain waypoints stored when this conversion to kml is made?
2022-11-3
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

test_pilot Posted at 11-3 07:01
Thank you for your quick response. I could not load the converted kml in DJI Pilot yet unfortunately, but it could be the case I did not save the data in the correct way and I have made a slight mistake. I will try this again later. I still have another question. Do you know if commands such as hover time at certain waypoints stored when this conversion to kml is made?

Hi, Sounds like you are using third party software for flight planning. Which one is it ? Because by going trough Google Earth you have huge chance to lost configuration.  
2022-11-3
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

a kmz is just a zipped kml. you can extract the kmz uzing any zipfile software and use the doc.kml file from it (assuming the kmz and kml contained in it are DJI-friendly)
2022-11-3
Use props
test_pilot
lvl.1

Netherlands

Hi LV_Forestry, As we have a third party Lidar scanner I was trying to make my own software tool for flight planning, as this is not supported in de DJI Pilot app I believe. I was indeed also a bit afraid that by using google Earth some information might get lost.

Thanks patiam for the kmz information.

Also I found out that by updating to DJI Pilot 2 I should be able to upload KMZ files (I was still using DJI Pilot 1 for some reason). Only my format is not completely correct yet, as the pilot app gives an invalid kmz format message when I try to upload it. I will try to fix this. But I think my initial problem is fixed. So thanks!
2022-11-4
Use props
test_pilot
lvl.1

Netherlands

I found out I made a small mistake in the waylines.wpml file that is contained in the kmz. After fixing this the upload to DJI Pilot 2 worked. Thanks again!
2022-11-4
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

test_pilot Posted at 11-4 01:09
Hi LV_Forestry, As we have a third party Lidar scanner I was trying to make my own software tool for flight planning, as this is not supported in de DJI Pilot app I believe. I was indeed also a bit afraid that by using google Earth some information might get lost.

Thanks patiam for the kmz information.

DJI Pilot 2 is fine for LiDAR flight planning. I am using UGCS for flight planning in general.
2022-11-4
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I'm with LV_Forestry- while kml/kmz import of simple polygons for flight planning in an app is safe, I'd be leery of trying to import a kml/kmz of a full mission plan for the reasons stated.
2022-11-4
Use props
test_pilot
lvl.1

Netherlands

Thanks for the feedback. I will take it into account.
2022-11-4
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

test_pilot Posted at 11-4 02:13
I found out I made a small mistake in the waylines.wpml file that is contained in the kmz. After fixing this the upload to DJI Pilot 2 worked. Thanks again!

Hi, there.
Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the updated information.
If you meet any problems later, you can also contact me here or send me a PM.
Thank you for your support in advance.
2022-11-12
Use props
GRIL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15347336 ft
India

Hi,

I am too facing problem importing a kml in the DJI pilot 2 that came with the M3E.

I cannot import a kml that is made a a 3rd party app. I have to re trace that kml again in google earth and then save it as kml. THis kml is getting imported successfully but the re tracing is not accurate as google earth do not provide tools to snap to points. the re traced path is not as accurate as the original path. BTW what is a wpml file?

Kindly help how to import kml in DJI pilot app
2023-12-2
Use props
test_pilot
lvl.1

Netherlands

I do not know if this is useful for people, but using this information I made an open source flight planning tool for the DJI matrice 300 RTK. It is not perfect but it does work. It has only been tested in the Netherlands. Due to certain coordinate transformations it might not work everywhere in the world. But with some small changes it should work in more places. The output is a .kmz file. https://github.com/Marijn-22/dji_flight_planner
4-1 05:09
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules