Mavic pro/Dji goggles cellular connection
1104 17 2022-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
neil4374
lvl.2

Japan

HI,I have a Mavic Pro and some Dji goggles. I am thinking of changing my phone for a tablet when flying the drone.
My aim is to be able to utilise every function available on the mavic pro and the dji goggles. So after researching I found out that a cellular tablet will allow me to do all of this. As appossed to a  wifi only tablet which will mean saving maps at home on wifi and a few other things won't function.
My question is: Will I benefit from the cellular tablet having a data plan(internet access) or is there no benefit?
Thanks
Neil
2022-11-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. There is no need to have a cellular service when flying your DJI Mavic Pro instead it is recommended to place the mobile device in airplane mode. You only need an internet connection once you perform a firmware update or check the firmware. Hope this helps. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-11-5
Use props
neil4374
lvl.2

Japan

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-5 00:57
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. There is no need to have a cellular service when flying your DJI Mavic Pro instead it is recommended to place the mobile device in airplane mode. You only need an internet connection once you perform a firmware update or check the firmware. Hope this helps. Thank you for your valued support.

Thank you! But don't I need a gps chip in the phone or in the tablet to use all the intelligent flight modes the mavic has? Does airplane mode disable the gps in the phone or only the cellular connection?
2022-11-5
Use props
neil4374
lvl.2

Japan

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-5 00:57
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. There is no need to have a cellular service when flying your DJI Mavic Pro instead it is recommended to place the mobile device in airplane mode. You only need an internet connection once you perform a firmware update or check the firmware. Hope this helps. Thank you for your valued support.

And may I also ask if I do use a ipad with wifi only but I thether a hotspot from my phone will it use a small amount of data? I wont be live streaming or uploading any videos while flying. THat will all be done from home over wifi or LAN
2022-11-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

neil4374 Posted at 11-5 01:14
Thank you! But don't I need a gps chip in the phone or in the tablet to use all the intelligent flight modes the mavic has? Does airplane mode disable the gps in the phone or only the cellular connection?

Thank you for your prompt response. Yes, you don't need any cellular data or internet connection to use the intelligent flight modes, you may access this feature by flying the unit at a certain height and then enabling the feature without any usage of internet. In addition, you may access the app and use the drone as normal without connecting the mobile device to any internet connection. Hope this helps. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-11-5
Use props
neil4374
lvl.2

Japan

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-5 04:33
Thank you for your prompt response. Yes, you don't need any cellular data or internet connection to use the intelligent flight modes, you may access this feature by flying the unit at a certain height and then enabling the feature without any usage of internet. In addition, you may access the app and use the drone as normal without connecting the mobile device to any internet connection. Hope this helps. Thank you for your valued support.

Thank you for being so helpfull. Thank you all
2022-11-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

neil4374 Posted at 11-5 05:07
Thank you for being so helpfull. Thank you all

You are very much welcome. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. We are more than happy to help. Thank you for always choosing DJI!
2022-11-6
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-5 04:33

Only 1 flightmode uses GPS to gobut i don´t trust the "Follow me" mode. The phone sends the false GPS position to the AC and the AC tries a fyaway. I use more the Active Track instead as "Follow me" That´s my way to avoid FA´s .  
2022-11-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Peterx Posted at 11-8 10:58
Only 1 flightmode uses GPS to gobut i don´t trust the "Follow me" mode. The phone sends the false GPS position to the AC and the AC tries a fyaway. I use more the Active Track instead as "Follow me" That´s my way to avoid FA´s .

Hello there. Thank you for your feedback. Can you please tell us more about the issue? Did you get a error message when you experience the issue? Kindly please provide us the screenshot for us to check it here on our end. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2022-11-10
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Germany

First time i tried with my P3S and an older Samsung 5mini,the GPS receiver was acting to wrong coordinates. I could stop it the left stick. My iPhone 6 acted like this with my Mavic and the same reaction of the AC.
But no fly away. It´s a couple of years ago,but i don´t  have a screenshot yet. For sure the GPS on both 2 AC´s are acting accurate,did nothing wrong. That was the mobiles i used for flight.
2022-11-14
Use props
neil4374
lvl.2

South Korea

But I still need the answer to the question!!
Don’t I need a mobile device with a gps chip in it to be able to use all the mavic pros functions. I know I can fly in airplane mode with no cellular or wifi. But surely I need a gps enabled device???
2022-11-14
Use props
fans707d29ff
lvl.2

South Korea

Thanks all for the help. I will give it fly and see. But  it’s an iPad and I have also been told in won’t share gps location. The answer seems a tablet with gps.
2022-11-14
Use props
fans707d29ff
lvl.2

South Korea

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-14 07:44
If you have an Android device, those generally have GPS capability regardless of if they are cellular enabled.  Apple devices without cellular do not have GPS but, not being a fruit phone fan, this may have changed with the current crop of Apple phones & tablets.  For maps & firmware updates you can use your phone as a Mobile Hotspot.

I have an iPad without gps.
2022-11-14
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Germany

For the Flight itself you don´t  need any cellular or GPS in mobile.
2022-11-17
Use props
fans707d29ff
lvl.2

South Korea

Peterx Posted at 11-17 23:56
For the Flight itself you don´t  need any cellular or GPS in mobile.

Other people have told me that for follow me mode GPS is needed. I will have to try it for myself. I am still a beginner so I havent got it out of begginner mode yet. I am in quarantine at the moment and cant go outisde! To try it!
2022-11-18
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Germany

The copter has GPS itself in his shell. The only flight mode that needs GPS in mobile is "Follow me"  Other flight modes don´t need it in mobile.  I use alternative to "Follow me" the "Active.Track"-mode. If the copter loses me then it´s hovering in the place it lost my silouette.
If you have a Mavic copter then use that mode if the Active track a part of the Firmware is.
2022-11-20
Use props
fans707d29ff
lvl.2

South Korea

Peterx Posted at 11-20 02:47
The copter has GPS itself in his shell. The only flight mode that needs GPS in mobile is "Follow me"  Other flight modes don´t need it in mobile.  I use alternative to "Follow me" the "Active.Track"-mode. If the copter loses me then it´s hovering in the place it lost my silouette.
If you have a Mavic copter then use that mode if the Active track a part of the Firmware is.

Thanks for the advice
2022-11-20
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

First time i tried with my P3S and an older Samsung 5mini,the GPS receiver was acting to wrong coordinates.
2022-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules