Osmo Action 3 overheating
14620 100 2022-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Knom
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Is this 'crack' really as simple as putting the device into a 'test' mode? Presumably for QC or post repair tests?

If that's the case then at least it will be independent of firmware updates unless DJI decide to stop it.

Edit-
Had the camera recording for the last 40 minutes continuously in the same place I had used to test when I bought it.
Settings 4k/30 HDR.
Previously the camera would overheat 20ish minutes in so the ‘crack’ does something.
Going to test again tonight with a full battery.
Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 6.43.56 am.png
2023-3-6
Use props
Ralf G.
lvl.2
Germany

Knom Posted at 3-6 22:49
Is this 'crack' really as simple as putting the device into a 'test' mode? Presumably for QC or post repair tests?

If that's the case then at least it will be independent of firmware updates unless DJI decide to stop it.

Hello there! I stumbled over that crack file yesterday and I tested it today. Indeed! It works 100%!!! The overheating issue is due to the european regulations. The cam is not allowed to get warmer than 48°C! And this happens very fast, after about 10 to 20 minutes. But using the crack I was able to record over two hours at 4K30, until the battery died. The screens were off, as well as the Rock Steady since the cam was on tripod. The room temperature was about 25°C. I am happy with my OA3 now! To bad nobody from the support is telling the truth. They asked me to send the camera in because of the overheating problem, well knowing it's regulated by software. That isn't nice DJI!!!
2023-3-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Ralf G. Posted at 3-7 07:01
Hello there! I stumbled over that crack file yesterday and I tested it today. Indeed! It works 100%!!! The overheating issue is due to the european regulations. The cam is not allowed to get warmer than 48°C! And this happens very fast, after about 10 to 20 minutes. But using the crack I was able to record over two hours at 4K30, until the battery died. The screens were off, as well as the Rock Steady since the cam was on tripod. The room temperature was about 25°C. I am happy wiht my OA3 now! To bad nobody from the support is telling the truth. They asked me to send the camera in because of the overheating problem, well knowing it's regulated by software. That isn't nice DJI!!!

Hi, there.
May we know if you contact our support before? May we know how you contacted them?
Then we will check the details and reply to you asap.
2023-3-7
Use props
Ralf G.
lvl.2
Germany

DJI Natalia Posted at 3-7 07:07
Hi, there.
May we know if you contact our support before? May we know how you contacted them?
Then we will check the details and reply to you asap.

Both times I contacted the support via website. One time they sent me a return label for DJI Netherland and the other time I got a return label for DJI Germany. The first contact with the support in october was because of the sharpness issue, just after I bought the camera. Then I contacted the support again in mid of november, just after the firmware update. This time because of the temperature problem that wasn't there before the update. Meanwhile I solved the problems by myself without sending in the camera.
2023-3-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Ralf G. Posted at 3-7 07:57
Both times I contacted the support via website. One time they sent me a return label for DJI Netherland and the other time I got a return label for DJI Germany. The first contact with the support in october was because of the sharpness issue, just after I bought the camera. Then I contacted the support again in mid of november, just after the firmware update. This time because of the temperature problem that wasn't there before the update. Meanwhile I solved the problems by myself without sending in the camera.

Thank you very much again for your update, we will check the problem and see how we can do better later.
If there is anything else that we can help with you, please feel free to contact us here.
Thanks again for your support and patience.
2023-3-7
Use props
Ralf G.
lvl.2
Germany

2023-3-10
Use props
DJ DJ
lvl.4
Germany

Ralf G. Posted at 3-10 09:40
https://youtu.be/2P0ubXCI5Hc

I'm ot shure, if this will still work in the next firmware update if you post this in every single thread with overheating problems...
Not that it was a new information...
2023-3-10
Use props
Knom
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJ DJ Posted at 3-10 10:08
I'm ot shure, if this will still work in the next firmware update if you post this in every single thread with overheating problems...
Not that it was a new information...

I think the cat is out of the bag with that one.
Probably best to remove the DJI Mimo app (unless that is your only way to manage your recordings) so the device isn't accidentally updated. That is assuming DJI patch the 'crack'.
2023-3-10
Use props
djiuser_UEOngc7uqh0b
New
United States

It's an SD Card issue which can be eliminated by using a high speed SD card and turning your screen of automatically.  I used an Scandisk Extreme Plus and 30s screen off function and have not had overheating since.
2023-3-29
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

In other words, it was a user error.
2023-3-29
Use props
DJ DJ
lvl.4
Germany

Not necessarily, because it's a single user experience with not enough information. Did he use a slower card before and had overheating under the same conditions or circumstances?

I use a fast SD card (Samsung Pro Plus) and get overheating after about 40 minutes indoors, stationary, 4K, 50fps. In germany with latest firmware, euro safeguard issue, no hack. I can record til the battery is drained in 1080, 25fps, driving, outside in a metal cage. Anything between can result in overheating sooner or later.

No issue for me as I seldomly record takes longer than 10 minutes. And when using it stationary, I mostly use 1080p25. I did not experience overheating at all in real life but could provoke it when I tested its limits.

It's always good to know the limitations of my tools.
2023-3-29
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Action cameras to capture the Moment, not left on to capture it for hours when it happens, use it wisely, we are not and that is part of the overheating cause.

Yes I ride a bike expect to see action, so I just vlog  2 minutes tops at a clip and within a minute I restart another  and dead of Summer or winter never shut down or overheated, only when I had to  force it to. that said, f figure out the  video you want and have fun filming
2023-3-30
Use props
Jonatan.N
Second Officer
Flight distance : 170627 ft

Maxime Bermond Posted at 2-12 01:24
Can it also be done with Action 2?

Unfortunately no...
2023-5-4
Use props
djiuser_EOXiqd4nW3ko
New

Germany

osmonauta Posted at 2022-11-6 04:24
Just tested mine. Started with 77% battery. 1080p / 60fps / RockSteady / full auto / SanDisk Extreme 64G. About 21C room temp. Camera is on tripod. Screen off after 3 seconds. I got 90 minutes and a few seconds recording. If I started at 100% battery (an extra 23%), I’d say that’s close to 2 hours recording. The camera was barely warm to the touch.

Hi Dear,

I have tested as the same condition as yours with the latest firmware, and I can only shoot 1080P60fps with about 25-32 min, and 4k60fps only 16-18min.
So I don't know how to do next. It my problem or the camera‘s problem ?
2023-5-21
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

djiuser_EOXiqd4nW3ko Posted at 5-21 01:32
Hi Dear,

I have tested as the same condition as yours with the latest firmware, and I can only shoot 1080P60fps with about 25-32 min, and 4k60fps only 16-18min.

Can you try a different memory card?
2023-5-21
Use props
Pochoraptor
New

Italy

Good morning. I had the exact same experience with Osmo Action 3 bought in Italy (EU). The product is practically unusable, what is the use of an Action Cam that is unable to reach 30 min in 4k in 2023? I contacted assistance in every way trying to explain the problem, but I only received identical answers copied and pasted from different operators. Then I found the forum, read about the EU limitation and installed the suggested file and now it works fine.

I find the assistance really bad, and the most certain thing is that with Osmo Action 1 this problem did not exist. I recorded for hours in 4k 60fps without any problems.

Thanks to whoever found the solution.
2023-7-14
Use props
SportsVideo
lvl.1

Czechia

Pochoraptor Posted at 7-14 00:02
Good morning. I had the exact same experience with Osmo Action 3 bought in Italy (EU). The product is practically unusable, what is the use of an Action Cam that is unable to reach 30 min in 4k in 2023? I contacted assistance in every way trying to explain the problem, but I only received identical answers copied and pasted from different operators. Then I found the forum, read about the EU limitation and installed the suggested file and now it works fine.

I find the assistance really bad, and the most certain thing is that with Osmo Action 1 this problem did not exist. I recorded for hours in 4k 60fps without any problems.

Hello, yes, there is already a tried and tested solution.
1. Buy new good fast SD card
2. Download file from the link in youtube and place it on sd card:

enjoy
2023-7-14
Use props
DavideSevilla
lvl.2
Spain

I bought my DJI OA3 yesterday. After updating the firmware I did a test recording with 4K/60fps settings. I live in Seville (Spain) and the temperature here is very high right now. I bought a Samsung PRO PLUS 128 GB SD card with read/write speed of 160/120 MBs. I was only able to record about 12 minutes. I extracted the SD, formatted it and put the file with the "heat test" command in the root folder. I re-inserted the card, rebooted the camera and with the same video settings (4K/60fps) I was able to record over two hours. It is clear that the problem is the absurd regulation of the European Union that treats users of electronic devices like children with a matchbox.
2023-7-14
Use props
Webghost
lvl.1

Latvia

johansenfoto Posted at 2022-12-21 06:14
Ah okay.

Have anyone testet this hack?

yes i tested , but after next update of firmware this hack stop working now i got still same problem 1080p 50 fps only 20+ minuts and overhiting.
2023-12-20
Use props
Webghost
lvl.1

Latvia

Hi people , here is my tests with my camera https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICAScVwXeeU   got  same  issue with overheting , added *heat test* solution . It helped until firmware update , In Lettonie   out temp is -10 +25  c  , in 1080p 50 fps mode only 20+ minuts and overheating firmware 01.03.10.30 cam fw 10.00.31.12    sd card Kingston canvas select plus 256g V30 A1     . The second issue is with focus of camera!!!  is out of focus !!! big disappointment.  
2023-12-20
Use props
trek2710
lvl.1
Flight distance : 661814 ft
Denmark

Hi everyone
Same here OA3 stopping recording due to overheating. Latest firmware 01.03.10.30.
Works indoor (around 22C) at a tripod: 4k25p+H264 but nothing else, no enhanced picture, no c-like, no RS.
I get that physics means heat is produced when recording but maybe we can get the option to turn of the low resolution files always created - it might be the small thing allowing us to turn on HEVC and potential c-like/HDR/enhanced etc. Just a thought..
2023-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules