Stabilization on the OA3
904 8 2022-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

A small edit from yesterday and a demonstration of stabilization in different lighting conditions. I thought that there was enough light in the forest for perfect stabilization, but as you can see, it is not, or it still wants to fine-tune it with an update while in the auto mode, because there was enough light (maybe not)....I am starting with the video, so I will have to learn to shoot in manual mode in order to shorten the shutter time and also the post-process in Davinci ;)

2022-11-5
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Stabilization need fast shutterspeed for working best, so if you shoot in 60 fps with 1/120s then it will be working better. But up and down movement can't even be stabilized with a gimbal.

2022-11-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I’m not sure this camera is up to this stabilization, digital stabilization is basically trying to recreate what a 3 axis gimbal does, this what you show is like a 4th axis,  even small gimbal cameras cannot overcome this, so some post stabilization is always needed for this slow walking particularly in lowlight. There are walking techniques that can help but anyone looking at will think you’ve lost your marbles
2022-11-5
Use props
Fr4nk_C45tl3
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I don't think this is stabilization issue. More of the vibrations of the camera than IS. I have a footage from a forest where I ride an MTB, camera was mounted on handlebars and the IS was doing amazing job!

2022-11-5
Use props
fish sticks
lvl.4
New Zealand

Fr4nk_C45tl3 Posted at 11-5 18:26
I don't think this is stabilization issue. More of the vibrations of the camera than IS. I have a footage from a forest where I ride an MTB, camera was mounted on handlebars and the IS was doing amazing job!
https://youtu.be/HxWs4adVw3s

To me, it looks like Rocksteady not being able to keep up with the vibrations from the footsteps. This can happen at slower shutter speeds like the OP already pointed out. DJI recommends 1/200 or faster shutter. On the OA3, there is also an option to prioritize EIS for low light. I guess that bumps the ISO up a bit sooner to keep faster shutter.

I am guessing that you recorded the MTB video in 60fps. That is another way to force higher shutter speed. This is what I do on the A2 when using RS in low light.
2022-11-5
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

I didn't mean upside down stabilization, but that dino Spielberg Jurassic park stomp effect I had the camera on my chest on a clip for testing, but I can already see that in low light it's not a good choice when walking. I understand that for the image to be sharp (without stabilization), the shutter speed must be at least as slow as the focal length of the lens for the photo. Since the video is photos in a row, the principle will be similar, but there is also the variable fps (EIS too), so I will study ;) So the automation in the OA3 itself calculates the shutter speed based on the set fps (x2) and ISO to maintain 180? I'm saying, I have a lot to catch up on, there are only three variables in the photo: time, aperture, ISO... I thought that in that forest in low light, in order not to create the stomp effect, I would rather accept grain from a higher ISO (range is up to 12800), such as shaking of the background and even blurring of the image... Thanks for the answers.
2022-11-6
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Fr4nk_C45tl3 Posted at 11-5 18:26
I don't think this is stabilization issue. More of the vibrations of the camera than IS. I have a footage from a forest where I ride an MTB, camera was mounted on handlebars and the IS was doing amazing job!
https://youtu.be/HxWs4adVw3s

Where there is less light (sun) it is soft. The automatic is trying to hold on to the least grainy shots possible...
2022-11-6
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

HI StevoB
chest mount gives a very strong  sudden impact when foot fall on the ground.
if the shutter speed is larger than 1/200, the distance of shutter blur is quite eye-catching.EIS cannot eliminate the shutter blur, so the blur happens as each step u walk.

2022-11-6
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

out in te open no trees  up above, light must be 12 0'clock high,  you have Priority enabled to help the stutter but that is  how Action cameras today act in a day light low light shot
2022-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules