First Crash with the DJI Avata and Motion Controller
1622 14 2022-11-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shawn00m
lvl.2
Flight distance : 142425 ft
United States

I had my first crash today. I really have no idea what happened. I don't think it was the wind - there wasn't much of a wind at the time of the crash. Also, if you watch it you will see it looks like I sent the Avata in a leftward move but I didn't. I'm using the Motion Controller so I can't fly sideways. I was about 800 feet away from an elevated position about 15 feet above where the drone was. There was plenty of trees, sure, but I've flown behind trees before. Could it just be a glitch? Some kind of magnetic interference? Suggestions?

2022-11-6
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Shawn00m. We are sincerely sorry you are going through these difficulties. Are you getting any error codes after this incident? If you do, we highly recommend that you send your drone back to us for further diagnosis and repair. You may submit an online repair request through this link: {https://repair.dji.com/repair/index}. We understand that this is not the answer that you look forward to, but this would be the best thing to do in this situation. In addition, warranty service can be claimed depending on the result of the Damage Assessment. Please note that free data analysis may be supported in this situation if your drone is still under warranty. Your kind understanding is appreciated and thank you for your continued support.
2022-11-6
Use props
hungdang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4931706 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Do you have a video from goggles? Please check how many satellites just before the incident, few people have reported that the MC need GPS to control the Avata probably.
2022-11-6
Use props
Waden
lvl.2
Flight distance : 192661 ft
Switzerland

You cannot fly sideways with the motion controller, but did you fly with the “Head Tracking” ?
2022-11-6
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1420705 ft
  • >>>
Germany

The drone got caught in the branches, that's all.
2022-11-6
Use props
shawn00m
lvl.2
United States

Waden Posted at 11-6 10:15
You cannot fly sideways with the motion controller, but did you fly with the “Head Tracking” ?

No I wasn't using head tracking. The turn left and then the direct left movement was not done by me. It was like someone else had control all of a sudden because I had none.
2022-11-7
Use props
shawn00m
lvl.2
United States

JustName Posted at 11-6 11:38
The drone got caught in the branches, that's all.

Before it hit the branches I lost complete control. The left turn and the left slide was not me.
2022-11-7
Use props
shawn00m
lvl.2
United States

hungdang Posted at 11-6 08:00
Do you have a video from goggles? Please check how many satellites just before the incident, few people have reported that the MC need GPS to control the Avata probably.

Here's the Goggle view. I'm baffled. The moves to the left were not made by me, it was like someone else took over or it just had a mind of its own.

2022-11-8
Use props
shawn00m
lvl.2
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-6 07:40
Hi, Shawn00m. We are sincerely sorry you are going through these difficulties. Are you getting any error codes after this incident? If you do, we highly recommend that you send your drone back to us for further diagnosis and repair. You may submit an online repair request through this link: {https://repair.dji.com/repair/index}. We understand that this is not the answer that you look forward to, but this would be the best thing to do in this situation. In addition, warranty service can be claimed depending on the result of the Damage Assessment. Please note that free data analysis may be supported in this situation if your drone is still under warranty. Your kind understanding is appreciated and thank you for your continued support.

I did not get and error codes before, during or after the incident. I did, however, see this warning screen about 2 minutes before I lost control. Could this have anything to do with my loss of control?

Warning Screen

Warning Screen

2022-11-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

shawn00m Posted at 11-9 09:59
I did not get and error codes before, during or after the incident. I did, however, see this warning screen about 2 minutes before I lost control. Could this have anything to do with my loss of control?

[view_image]

Hi, shawn00m. Thank you for the update and for providing the information. It seems that you have entered a restricted zone and there's a high possibility that causes your loss of control. Moving forward, please check the GEO zone map (https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map) before flying to avoid this kind of incident. You may also request to unlock a zone on this link https://www.dji.com/flysafe if you really need to fly in a restricted area. Thank you for your support.
2022-11-9
Use props
shawn00m
lvl.2
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-9 11:03
Hi, shawn00m. Thank you for the update and for providing the information. It seems that you have entered a restricted zone and there's a high possibility that causes your loss of control. Moving forward, please check the GEO zone map (https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map) before flying to avoid this kind of incident. You may also request to unlock a zone on this link https://www.dji.com/flysafe if you really need to fly in a restricted area. Thank you for your support.

Thank you for your reply
2022-11-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

shawn00m Posted at 11-9 11:15
Thank you for your reply

Hi, shawn00m. You're welcome. Should you have any concerns or inquiries, please do not hesitate to reach us here at DJI Forum. Thank you for your valued support. Happy flying!
2022-11-9
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have crashed mine a few times. Still it keeps on going. Pretty amazed honestly.
2022-11-9
Use props
shawn00m
lvl.2
United States

Visual Air Posted at 11-9 16:39
I have crashed mine a few times. Still it keeps on going. Pretty amazed honestly.

Yeah, I'm impressed how sturdy and resiliant this drone is. I was able to get it back in the air a couple of hours later and it flew just fine. It was just a weird glitch that it went off on its own like that. Next time I will be quicker to hit the emergency brake.
2022-11-11
Use props
OnePixel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 45049 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Hopefully a firmware update will arrive soon
2022-11-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now