Look Around While RTH (No Yaw Control while Return to Home)
1234Next >
4601 130 2022-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Element115
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5693497 ft
United States

I noticed with the Mini 3 Pro, it does not allow you to have yaw control while in RTH mode.  In the Spark, Mini, and Mini 2, it is possible to look around while in RTH mode (sort of like headless mode as the drone returns home).  

DJI - Please add this functionality as the Mini 3 is a downgrade in this regard compared to the Spark, Mini, and Mini 2.

Thanks.

Addendum:  I understand Mini 3 has OA and with OA on, yaw isn't possible as the sensors need to be pointed in the direction of flight as many commented.  However, when OA is disabled, the pilot should have the option to yaw and control the camera while RTH as OA has nothing to do with this scenario.
2022-11-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Because in RTH the OA is active DJI does not want us to rotate the Mini3Pro, safety first!

cheers
JJB
2022-11-7
Use props
Element115
Second Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 11-7 09:15
Hi,

Because in RTH the OA is active DJI does not want us to rotate the Mini3Pro, safety first!

Incorrect.  Read my post.  This feature is in every Mini so far but not the Mini 3 Pro.
2022-11-7
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Element115 Posted at 11-7 09:17
Incorrect.  Read my post.  This feature is in every Mini so far but not the Mini 3 Pro.

The Mini 3 is the first Mini with OA.
2022-11-7
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

the mini 3 pro is the first dji mini drone with oa.
2022-11-7
Use props
Element115
Second Officer
United States

The Saint Posted at 11-7 09:45
the mini 3 pro is the first dji mini drone with oa.

OA has nothing to do with this function.

If you're happy with a downgrade that's fine with me but personally, I'd like the features I had with the  cheaper DJI models on this relatively expensive new drone.

2022-11-7
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Element115 Posted at 11-7 10:12
OA has nothing to do with this function.

If you're happy with a downgrade that's fine with me but personally, I'd like the features I had with the  cheaper DJI models on this relatively expensive new drone.

Yes it does, no DJI drone with OA has it.
2022-11-7
Use props
Element115
Second Officer
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 11-7 10:14

That's not a reason.  OA is only active if you turn it on.  YAW while RTH should be available when OA is off.  Are you saying it should not allow you to YAW even when OA is NOT active?  Doesn't make any sense.
2022-11-7
Use props
Element115
Second Officer
United States

2022-11-7
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

RTFM

2022-11-7
Use props
Element115
Second Officer
United States

I know how OA works so no need for education.  My stance remains the same; give us yaw control back while RTH when OA is off.  

You don't need to use it if you don't want to.  I've been using this function for over a decade on my drones and it would be a sad feature to lose, especially on those long RTH trips back.
2022-11-7
Use props
Gusdog
lvl.2
United Kingdom

It's a minor feature that can be replicated manually, quite easily.

If the drone flies sideways the OA cannot work. I'd rather have the OA

2022-11-7
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there. Thank you for bringing this information with us. I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. After the engineers' evaluation, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-11-7
Use props
Element115
Second Officer
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-7 10:55
Hi there. Thank you for bringing this information with us. I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. After the engineers' evaluation, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thank you as I don't think anyone else here actually read my post.  It would be great to get this feature back.

Thanks.
2022-11-7
Use props
Element115
Second Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-7 10:38
In the Mini 3 you cannot disable OA during RTH.  Even if you turn OA off, it enables during RTH.  There is no setting in Fly to alter this behavior.  OA-enabled birds that use Go4 have a toggle to enable OA during RTH so, if you disable it, you can yaw during RTH. unless DJI adds an OA during RTH toggle, you won't be yawing during RTH.

That's an implementation they can change easily.
2022-11-7
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Element115 Posted at 11-7 11:13
Thank you as I don't think anyone else here actually read my post.  It would be great to get this feature back.

Thanks.

we have read and understand what you are talking about, 100%.  please don't try to pretend that you're the only person who knows anything about this.  however, we all understand that even though you have been flying for a "decade" apparently you need to hijack the rth function in order to fly your drone in a straight line so you can get some good video with yaw control.  apparently your skillz don't permit you to do this otherwise on your own; apparently you didn't have the mavic2.

anyway, dji will accept your feature request but i guarantee you they will never allow you to defeat the oa function during rth without first installing a switch.
2022-11-7
Use props
Element115
Second Officer
United States

The Saint Posted at 11-7 11:28
we have read and understand what you are talking about, 100%.  please don't try to pretend that you're the only person who knows anything about this.  however, we all understand that even though you have been flying for a "decade" apparently you need to hijack the rth function in order to fly your drone in a straight line so you can get some good video with yaw control.  apparently your skillz don't permit you to do this otherwise on your own; apparently you didn't have the mavic2.

anyway, dji will accept your feature request but i guarantee you they will never allow you to defeat the oa function during rth without first installing a switch.

Well, I guess it hurts to be wrong.  I don't see anyone pretending here except you.  Have a good day.
2022-11-7
Use props
Element115
Second Officer
United States

Gusdog Posted at 11-7 10:31

You'll still have OA if you enabled it.  If OA is disabled by the pilot, yaw while RTH should function just as it did on Spark, Mini,  and Mini 2.
2022-11-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yes i know....

But the Mini3Pro has OA sensors, so no yawing in RTH !

cheers
JJB
2022-11-7
Use props
Element115
Second Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 11-7 12:49
Yes i know....

But the Mini3Pro has OA sensors, so no yawing in RTH !

Read the post.  OA can be disabled by the user.
2022-11-7
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Element115 Posted at 11-7 11:13

Thanks.

Hi, Element115. My pleasure. We'd like you to know that we appreciate your valuable suggestions. Please note that we already submitted your suggestion for evaluation. Have a good one!
2022-11-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Element115 Posted at 11-7 13:40

Not in RTH, its not possible, as you have already been told by other members, because this drone has OA, and even if the pilot has disabled it, it automatically turns on during RTH, its the same for other DJI drones with OA.

OA during RTH is NOT optional, the media team here will submit your suggestions but DJI will not implement this and certainly NOT in the day and age because DJI has to keep building on safety and will not jeopardise that.
2022-11-7
Use props
Element115
Second Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 11-7 18:06
Not in RTH, its not possible, as you have already been told by other members, because this drone has OA, and even if the pilot has disabled it, it automatically turns on during RTH, its the same for other DJI drones with OA.

OA during RTH is NOT optional, the media team here will submit your suggestions but DJI will not implement this and certainly NOT in the day and age because DJI has to keep building on safety and will not jeopardise that.

Oh really?  I suppose then they will stop selling all drones without OA then?  Sorry, but your logic makes no sense.
2022-11-7
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

how about cruise control?  would you be willing to forgo this request if we are giving cruise control instead?
2022-11-7
Use props
Element115
Second Officer
United States

The Saint Posted at 11-7 18:37
how about cruise control?  would you be willing to forgo this request if we are giving cruise control instead?

Again, READ THE POST.  This is about RTH, not cruise control.

"Mini 3 has OA" is not a valid reason why yaw control while RTH can't be implemented as OA can be disabled by the pilot as I've explained already.  Arguing safety being the reason this isn't implemented on the Mini 3 is ridiculous given we all know that DJI sells plenty of drones without OA where this feature is implemented.  If you are so afraid of turning off OA because you lack flying skills, I get it, but others want this feature and use it quite often.

The exact same thing happened when they launched Mini 2.  They didn't implement this feature and everyone argued (as you others did in this thread) it was because of safety.  Then DJI implemented it on the Mini 2.  I do think this feature was lower priority but will get included soon on the Mini 3.

Just don't use it when they do implement it.   If you do use it, you can think of the posts in this thread and how adamantly against it you were.
2022-11-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 11-7 09:15
Hi, Because in RTH the OA is active DJI does not want us to rotate the Mini3Pro, safety first!

That's any interesting observation, from memory the M2P/Z will not spin/yaw in RTH ( OA off, I rarely use OA ). I recollect wondering why that was and had put it down to the 'yaw-able' gimbal.
Thanks for the possible/probable explanation.

That said, I do think it would be 'nice' to be able to spin/yaw the drone during RTH if and only if OA was off. Sadly I can't imagine that option being added to Go4 but ....perhaps Fly.
2022-11-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Element115, you could perhaps think of it as an opportunity the develop your piloting skills and learn to fly, under manual control, a straight line course whilst yawing the drone. If nothing else the skill would allow you to perform such pirouettes at any stage of the flight rather than in just one or perhaps two.

An interesting name if it refers to Moscovium, half life of 0.65 sec according to Wiki.
2022-11-7
Use props
Element115
Second Officer
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 11-7 19:16
Element115, you could perhaps think of it as an opportunity the develop your piloting skills and learn to fly, under manual control, a straight line course whilst yawing the drone. If nothing else the skill would allow you to perform such pirouettes at any stage of the flight rather than in just one or perhaps two.

An interesting name if it refers to Moscovium, half life of 0.65 sec according to Wiki.

Hi there Sean,
I'd agree with some of the naysayers here but they haven't provided any justification or reason why yaw while RTH shouldn't be implemented in the case where the pilot decides to turn off OA.

As far as piloting skills go, I'm a pretty good precision flyer as I've been flying for nearly 3 decades plus that is not what this thread is about.

Yes, as everyone knows, Moscovium can be used to generate gravity waves for propulsion
2022-11-7
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

Element115 Posted at 11-7 20:15
Hi there Sean,
I'd agree with some of the naysayers here but they haven't provided any justification or reason why yaw while RTH shouldn't be implemented in the case where the pilot decides to turn off OA.

I also did not see your rationale, except for "I used to fly like that." If you need control, fly in manual mode.
2022-11-7
Use props
Element115
Second Officer
United States

Drone.Hunter Posted at 11-7 21:06
I also did not see your rationale, except for "I used to fly like that." If you need control, fly in manual mode.

Your quotes.   Where do I say that?  
2022-11-7
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

Element115 Posted at 11-7 21:09

#12 I've been using this function for over a decade on my drones and it would be a sad feature to lose, especially on those long RTH trips back.
2022-11-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi there Sean,

But we have though, during RTH OA is turned ON automatically. It doesn't matter what the pilot does with OA before hand, you just cannot see the reason for looking...

As for another reason and or justification, i gave that to you as well, Safety, if you're not looking at the direction of travel then you can't see to avoid.

Look, we have given you our best answers based on past uses but this is not to say it won't be implemented BUT, bare in mind that this has already been brought up, it was shortly after release and its still not been implemented so far so take from that as you may.

If i was a gambler and to be fair, I'm glad i ain't as i normally lose, but given that safety is becoming more and more serious with the powers that be, dont get your hopes up, i myself would love to see it returned, it was quite cool to be able to get a different perspective during those erm long journeys home, whilst very rare journeys mind so its not like I'm going to really miss it.
2022-11-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Element115 Posted at 11-7 21:09

Thats called paraphrasing, your actual words were...

..."I've been using this function for over a decade on my drones..."
2022-11-7
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 11-7 21:35
Thats called paraphrasing, your actual words were...

..."I've been using this function for over a decade on my drones..."

he wants it because he feels like "dji taketh away" which is the same, sorry excuse always given.

i wanted a tape deck in my car when it only came with a cd player and i accused lexus of taking away a feature that everybody loves and they gave me in my last car that i had been using for over a decade.  i hated apple for dropping the cd slot, now how am i going to burn cds?  no flash?  
2022-11-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Element115 Posted at 11-7 13:40

uh, oke....i read the post multiple times now.

BUT in RTH the OA sensors are always ON, despite the OFF selection on the APAS menu.

cheers
JJB
2022-11-8
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Mobilehomer Posted at 11-7 10:14

... but the Mavic 3 could get it!!!   
2022-11-8
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Gusdog Posted at 11-7 10:31

Absolutely true!  

Why RTH if you want to film...
2022-11-8
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 11-7 21:58
he wants it because he feels like "dji taketh away" which is the same, sorry excuse always given.

i wanted a tape deck in my car when it only came with a cd player and i accused lexus of taking away a feature that everybody loves and they gave me in my last car that i had been using for over a decade.  i hated apple for dropping the cd slot, now how am i going to burn cds?  no flash?

In that case the Fly App should be scrapped lol, it lost so much in comparison to Go4 and Go4 lost something like "Course Lock" or "Home Lock" when compared of Go. And, from memory, one of those two "locks " allows this pirouetting  to be done at any stage of manually controlled flight.
2022-11-8
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi there Sean,

Everyone knows? I've never even heard of that word before. My bad
2022-11-8
Use props
Cobani
lvl.4
Flight distance : 612503 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

Hi there Sean,

"I'm a pretty good precision flyer" and you use RTH?
"PILOT"?????

You make my day. Stupid people everywhere.

2022-11-8
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules