Z Axis problems with weight and heavier (approved) lenses
1456 4 2022-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
agoldie
lvl.1
Japan

When I attach the Dji weight and use approved heavier lenses such as the Sony 85mm F1.4 G master the Ronin 4D Z axis will beep after a short time and collapse.
is anyone else experiencing this problem and is there any fix for this?
I bought this super expensive biut of metal so I can use these heavier lenses (approved by DJI) but I can't film fro more than a minute or two before it will make a beeping sound and collapse ruining the footage.
Any help would be appreicated.
Thanks. A.
2022-11-7
Use props
Ford4D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7608 ft

United States

You might be doing something wrong. Did you balance the lens and weight first? You need to make sure that the lens and weight are neutral, neither tipping forward or backward on the pitch axis with the camera off (or at least the gimbal disabled).

Then turn the camera on and do an Auto-Tune immediately.

(Make sure that none of the axises are physically locked as well, that can cause issues).

I don't have the counterweight yet, but I'm able to use the Sirui 35mm anamorphic by sliding the forward-backward balance all the way backward (towards the camera side) in order to take as much of the weight off the front (lens side) as possible. Then the gimbal compensates and I'm able to shoot continuously without the problem you describe. The stabilization isn't as great, because the gimbal motor is constantly compensating the pitch just to keep the lens from dipping down. But it's super duper usable, and not at all janky when used carefully.

Edit: Also, make sure AFTER doing the autocallibration that you check the Z-axis is calibrated properly. About 2 minutes into this video explains it, but basically you need to turn the Z-axis knob left or right until it centers out. You're basically adjusting the spring tension, from what I understand.
2022-11-8
Use props
agoldie
lvl.1
Japan

Ford4D Posted at 11-8 11:23
You might be doing something wrong. Did you balance the lens and weight first? You need to make sure that the lens and weight are neutral, neither tipping forward or backward on the pitch axis with the camera off (or at least the gimbal disabled).

Then turn the camera on and do an Auto-Tune immediately.

Thanks! This video is great. I had done all the balancing correctly apart from the z axis.  I'm hoping this will solve the problem.
2022-11-8
Use props
Ford4D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7608 ft

United States

agoldie Posted at 11-8 15:42
Thanks! This video is great. I had done all the balancing correctly apart from the z axis.  I'm hoping this will solve the problem.

Awesome! Let us all know how it goes. Want to see a fellow Ronin 4Der doing well!
2022-11-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

agoldie Posted at 11-8 15:42

Hi, there. Sorry for the late reply.
May we confirm if your problem is resolved now?Please keep us updated on your issue.

And if there is anything else that we can help with, please feel free to let us know as well.

Thank you for your support.
2022-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules