Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Rock Castles - Castle of La Yedra and La Iruela, in Jaén - Spain
1312 24 2022-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Discover Spain
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Yedra Castle
The castle of La Yedra, also known as the Castle of the Four Corners, to  differentiate it from the neighbouring Castle of the Five Corners,  offered security and protection to Cazorla in Jaén, Spain, a town that  still preserves architectural typologies and urban structures of clear  Castilian descent.
In the Middle Ages, its strategic location, not so close to the border  of the Nasrid kingdom and defended from surprise attack by the belly of  the mountains, the Guadalquivir riverbed and the Pozo Alcón massif, made  it the seat of the Adelantamiento de Cazorla.
Ferdinand III glimpsed the importance that this enclave and its  territory could have in stopping a possible advance towards Seville by  Arab troops from Almería or Granada, so he commissioned its conquest.
The first fortification was Arab and dates back to the 11th and 12th  centuries, but the image that has come down to us of the castle of La  Yedra corresponds more to the Castilian construction of the 13th and  especially the 14th centuries.
The castle preserves elements of both civilisations that successively  occupied it and shaped its profile and defences. Three successive  enclosures can be distinguished in the castle: the fortress, the  enclosure and the gatehouse.
The alcazar, ordered to be built by the archbishops of Toledo at the end  of the 14th century, coincides with the current entrance to the castle,  and consists of a keep and a small parade ground surrounding it. This  small enclosure is enclosed by the shape that supports it. It is  accessed by a winding, bent passageway, almost a cistern, which would  also serve to facilitate the watering of the neighbouring fountain.
The keep is built with regular masonry and has a square floor plan with a  height of thirty metres. The tower consists of three superimposed  rooms, the ground floor paved on a vault, under which there is a cistern  covered by a half-barrel vault; the first floor covered by a masonry  roof on a wooden frame and illuminated by loopholes; and the second  floor which has three large windows and is covered by a vault.
The oldest part is the wall that the Almohads built with mud and  cobblestones. The Christians built ashlar towers and two courtyards on  top of it in order to prevent the advance of the enemy through the most  unprotected part of the wall.
Lastly, the outer enclosure, which is partially destroyed, is a  Castilian work from the second half of the 13th century, in which rammed  earth alternates with masonry and stonework.

Castle of the Five Corners
The Castle of the Five Corners is located on the hill that dominates  Cazorla, the hill of Salvatierra, 1160 metres high, founded on the  limestone bedrock of the same.
It was built in the last third of the 14th century, on the remains of an  old Arab fortification, contemporary with the keep of the castle of La  Yedra, to reinforce the defence of the capital of the Adelantamiento and  prevent possible offensive actions by the Nasrids of Granada.
It is made of masonry with regular courses and ashlar. The best  preserved element of the castle is the keep, with a pentagonal base,  three of its sides have very approximate dimensions, while the other two  are shorter and are a projection designed to house the box of a spiral  staircase that leads to the different floors of the tower.

La Iruela Castle
La Iruela Castle, a small but spectacular castle, is situated on top of a  steep cliff in the heart of the Sierra de Cazorla, Segura y Las Villas  Natural Park, from where there are breathtaking views of both the town  and its surroundings.
El Eruela, as it is mentioned in certain medieval texts, like Cazorla,  was originally a modest Arab farmhouse which, from the 11th century  onwards, had a protective wall and a small fortification on a promontory  for the safety of the peasants.
Later, that small refuge would end up becoming a rocky castle, small in  size but very difficult to take, with a very extensive panoramic view  over the surrounding territory.
Around 1231, La Iruela was conquered and became part of the  Adelantamiento de Cazorla, and a Christian fortress was built on top of  the existing Muslim fortress.
Within the enclosure is the Church of Santo Domingo, which was built in  the 16th century in honour of the patron saint of La Iruela, Santo  Domingo de Silos.
Due to its architecture and scenic beauty it was declared a Historic-Artistic Site in 1985.

2022-11-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Lovely video!
2022-11-8
Use props
Depp
Captain
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Very cool places.
2022-11-8
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

Astounding. And easy to see why it was declared an Historic Artistic Site.
2022-11-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lovely footage.   
2022-11-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Amazing views.    Need to add these to my must see in person locations.  Thanks for the background on these castles.  
2022-11-9
Use props
Discover Spain
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Glad to know you liked it!!
2022-11-10
Use props
Discover Spain
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 11-8 08:33
Very cool places.

Yes, it's an awesome place. The views of the cities and castles are great. Thanks!
2022-11-10
Use props
Discover Spain
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 11-8 10:37
Astounding. And easy to see why it was declared an Historic Artistic Site.

We have thousands in Spain, so that's not saying much either.
I wanted to give you a link to a complete inventory, and sadly, I can only find partial ones, by dates or under the law they were declared.
Thanks for comment!
2022-11-10
Use props
Discover Spain
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Thanks for watch and comment!
2022-11-10
Use props
Discover Spain
lvl.4

United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-9 02:51
Amazing views.    Need to add these to my must see in person locations.  Thanks for the background on these castles.

You're welcome, and if you get the chance to visit it, do it, it totally worth it!
2022-11-10
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
France

Discover Spain Posted at 11-10 12:18
We have thousands in Spain, so that's not saying much either.
I wanted to give you a link to a complete inventory, and sadly, I can only find partial ones, by dates or under the law they were declared.
Thanks for comment!

I expect you'll be posting more examples soon
2022-11-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Discover Spain Posted at 11-10 12:11
Glad to know you liked it!!

You're welcome!
2022-11-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Discover Spain Posted at 11-10 12:20
You're welcome, and if you get the chance to visit it, do it, it totally worth it!

Definitely have plans to get back to Spain again and hopefully it will be during the spring/summer of 2023.  
2022-11-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Discover Spain Posted at 11-10 12:18
Thanks for watch and comment!

You're very welcome.
2022-11-12
Use props
Discover Spain
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 11-10 12:21
I expect you'll be posting more examples soon

What's the point?, nobody watches the videos
2022-11-13
Use props
Discover Spain
lvl.4

United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-11 05:04
Definitely have plans to get back to Spain again and hopefully it will be during the spring/summer of 2023.

If you finally do, I hope you enjoy it.
2022-11-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Discover Spain Posted at 11-13 03:40
If you finally do, I hope you enjoy it.

No doubt about enjoying it.    I really enjoy every trip back to Spain.  
2022-11-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Discover Spain Posted at 11-13 03:39
What's the point?, nobody watches the videos

I think you're mistaken about that
2022-11-13
Use props
ro_walker
Second Officer
Brazil

Lovely video!
2022-11-17
Use props
Discover Spain
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Glad to know you like it!
2022-11-19
Use props
Carranzg
New
Flight distance : 84780 ft

Spain

Un buen trabajo audiovisual
2022-11-22
Use props
Discover Spain
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Carranzg Posted at 11-22 17:03
Un buen trabajo audiovisual

¡Muchas gracias!
2022-11-24
Use props
Sr. J
New
Flight distance : 16302 ft
Spain

Me ha encantado los planos y la sincronización con la música espectacular.
1-14 14:55
Use props
Discover Spain
lvl.4

United States

Sr. J Posted at 1-14 14:55
Me ha encantado los planos y la sincronización con la música espectacular.

¡Me alegro mucho de que te haya gustado y gracias por comentar!
Si exploras mi canal de YouTube, seguro que encuentras más vídeos que te gusten.
Un saludo
1-15 01:55
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules