Sample dataset
3095 17 2022-11-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PaulKofi
lvl.4
Mexico

If anyone has a small Mavic 3 E photo data set to share it would be great!  To confirm quality....
2022-11-9
Use props
TerrainDrop
lvl.2

United States

Here are a couple public datasets that were posted to TerrainDrop:
https://www.terraindrop.com/td/d ... fcdbc64aa4824151d9d
https://www.terraindrop.com/td/d ... 5bcb5e7f80ad01a5958
2022-11-9
Use props
PaulKofi
lvl.4
Mexico

Many thanks Terrain Drop,

how do you download the image data set?
2022-11-9
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

The images do not appear to be those of an M3E. I'm afraid it's just an advertisement for a commercial website. You are asked very quickly to register when you are on the site. It seems that it is possible to download the photos one by one.
update :
Yes it is an advertisement
TD.JPG

The Best option for you is most probably to request a demo to your DJI dealer.
2022-11-9
Use props
TerrainDrop
lvl.2

United States

Not advertising. We haven't made any posts after you raised a stink about it previously. We were repying to a user's question and are just trying to share the requested information...

Both of the posted datasets are for the Mavic 3 Enterprise (camera tags say "M3E").

The links are to the whole datasets. You can download each raw image you want (no way to download them all at once). You do not need to register to view/download publicly shared data. The tool is free to use as long as you manage your data appropriately.

Click on the images at the bottom or use the arrow keys to navigate through them. To go to the image's detail page click the preview at the bottom right corner of the map. Then you can click "Download Original" in the top right where it shows how big the file is next to the full resolution file overlaid on the map.  

Just trying to help.

2022-11-9
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

TerrainDrop Posted at 11-9 16:28
Not advertising. We haven't made any posts after you raised a stink about it previously. We were repying to a user's question and are just trying to share the requested information...

Ah yes I remember you, 5-10% overlap! Please don't do this anymore. Because afterwards, the beginners. those who want to get into the exploitation of professional aerial imagery are based on commercial promises like this one, then come here to express their incomprehension.
The root of the problem is that it's not clear, you promise a 5-10% overlap to do image comparison.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=265101&pid=2882226
I don't know what your experience in photogrammetry is, but please understand that between 10% and 80% overlap, there is a flight time which is very different. This includes higher operating costs. If you do photogrammetry as a hobby, no problem, you have time, you will quickly realize that 10% is not enough, you will come to the forum, we will explain it to you. For a professional it is another story.

And finally, if you find that the comments are stinky, and do not wish to face the remarks, do not come to unpack your goods on a forum. Your software may be very good for certain uses, but in this case, please, developed with concrete cases, if it is able to do photo alignment with 10%, show it to us. Moreover, if this is the case, you will pulverize the market because as I wrote above, the overlap is a huge constraint for us. Manufacturers such as DJI try to enlarge the sensors, but unfortunately on terrain with high relief and obstacles this is not enough.

I wish you the best, if you need to collect user experiences to make your product more efficient, don't hesitate to ask, there are a lot of competent people on this forum.
2022-11-10
Use props
PaulKofi
lvl.4
Mexico

TerrainDrop Posted at 11-9 16:28

Thanks, I was able to manually download a few images from 2 lines and did my test. It would be great for these datasets to have a download all button!
2022-11-10
Use props
patiam
First Officer
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 11-10 01:11
Ah yes I remember you, 5-10% overlap! Please don't do this anymore. Because afterwards, the beginners. those who want to get into the exploitation of professional aerial imagery are based on commercial promises like this one, then come here to express their incomprehension.
The root of the problem is that it's not clear, you promise a 5-10% overlap to do image comparison.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=265101&pid=2882226

A big +1 to everything @LV_Forestry has posted here.

I held my tongue when @TerrainDrop began posting what were clearly advertising pitches for their product on these forums, and stayed out of it when I saw the claims implying photogrammetry could be done with just 5-10% overlap. But upon reviewing the discussion I wholeheartedly agree:
  • If you're going to advertise here you should probably be more up front about it- I appreciate the transparency in your username, however you should be more explicit that you represent a company with a commecial product and that your posts are adverts. And DJI may have something to say about it as well.
  • In your advertising posts you should be more honest. Yes, you have a free product, but for many of the features you tout, a paid subscription is required. Yes, you offer some functionality comparing low-overlap images, but you certainly can't do SfM/photogrammetric stitching @ point cloud + surface model creation with that kind of redundnacy. As @LV_Forestry said, if you could, you'd blow away the competition and revolutionize the industry.
  • The point regarding noob expectations is a good one as well. When you make dubious claims regarding what your product does, you risk confusing folks that are just starting out with this technology and workflow, both delaying their progress towards a fuller understanding of it, and placing a burden on others that have to undo the misinformation you've planted.

Best of luck with your product, sincerely. I'd love to see it succeed.

2022-11-10
Use props
gulfpre
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2885656 ft
  • >>>
United States

Let me know if you need more data, I can get you some zip files of mapping missions, raw & resulting data.
2022-11-10
Use props
PaulKofi
lvl.4
Mexico

gulfpre Posted at 11-10 08:52
Let me know if you need more data, I can get you some zip files of mapping missions, raw & resulting data.

sure gulfpre, if you have some M3E mission with verticales and obliques for 3d mapping I would be interested in getting the images... Thanks
2022-11-10
Use props
EAS
lvl.1
United Kingdom

PaulKofi Posted at 11-10 10:25
sure gulfpre, if you have some M3E mission with verticales and obliques for 3d mapping I would be interested in getting the images... Thanks

I too would be interested in this if possible - thank you
2022-11-10
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

2022-11-10
Use props
TerrainDrop
lvl.2

United States

patiam Posted at 11-10 07:31
A big +1 to everything @LV_Forestry has posted here.

I held my tongue when @TerrainDrop began posting what were clearly advertising pitches for their product on these forums, and stayed out of it when I saw the claims implying photogrammetry could be done with just 5-10% overlap. But upon reviewing the discussion I wholeheartedly agree:

At no point did TerrainDrop ever claim to be photogrammetry. TerrainDrop does not do photogrammetry. I am not sure where idea that came from. There are a millions services out there that do that. TerrainDrop places each image on the basemap individually. To get complete coverage of an area you only need 5-10% overlap to keep from having any gaps. This is clearly different than the requirements of photogrammetric approaches. On purpose.

Our contention, which we thought people here might appreciate, is that you don't always need photogrammetry to solve a problem. Sometimes it is overkill. Sometimes it is cost prohibitive. Sometimes it takes too long. Almost always it loses a lot of the source data. Sometimes the overlap required by photogrammetry is too limiting. The answers that are sought by forestry, agriculture, open water, and other users can frequently not be achieved using photogrammetry due to the very nature of the data.

The only thing that requires payment is storing more than 10 GB of data.
This is all off-topic here though... We were just trying to give the OP what they asked for.
2022-11-15
Use props
TerrainDrop
lvl.2

United States

ro_walker Posted at 11-10 17:03

You cannot download the whole dataset at once. Dropbox or Google Drive is more suited to sharing bulk files. TerrainDrop is intended to let you access a specific image of a specific object with a single click. To download the individual images you click on the preview image in the lower right of the map and click "Download Original".
2022-11-15
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

TerrainDrop Posted at 11-15 15:02
You cannot download the whole dataset at once. Dropbox or Google Drive is more suited to sharing bulk files. TerrainDrop is intended to let you access a specific image of a specific object with a single click. To download the individual images you click on the preview image in the lower right of the map and click "Download Original".

Ok thanks!
2022-11-15
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

TerrainDrop Posted at 11-15 14:59
At no point did TerrainDrop ever claim to be photogrammetry. TerrainDrop does not do photogrammetry. I am not sure where idea that came from. There are a millions services out there that do that. TerrainDrop places each image on the basemap individually. To get complete coverage of an area you only need 5-10% overlap to keep from having any gaps. This is clearly different than the requirements of photogrammetric approaches. On purpose.

Our contention, which we thought people here might appreciate, is that you don't always need photogrammetry to solve a problem. Sometimes it is overkill. Sometimes it is cost prohibitive. Sometimes it takes too long. Almost always it loses a lot of the source data. Sometimes the overlap required by photogrammetry is too limiting. The answers that are sought by forestry, agriculture, open water, and other users can frequently not be achieved using photogrammetry due to the very nature of the data.

You are on a part of the forum that deals with professional solutions. Many people use photogrammetry here. Using percentages, talking about image comparison and the word "overlap" is confusing.

"Terrain drops does not photogrammetry", it was enough to specify it from the early beginning.
2022-11-15
Use props
TerrainDrop
lvl.2

United States

TerrainDrop is a professional solution for providing spatial image search and reporting, but this post was about providing access to sample data (which we provided to try to help another user). Percentages are a common way to describe how much overlap you need to cover something. User's understand what it means. Just because a percentage is used doesn't mean the processing of the resultant data must be photogrammetry. Like, I am 99% sure this is all off topic. See no photogrammetry involved!

I didn't know we had to list everything TerrainDrop was not. TerrainDrop is not a shower product. TerrainDrop does not do you laundry. TerrainDrop is not an elephant. We wouldn't want to upset the elephant people now would we... We will be sure to provide a comprehensive list for everything TerrainDrop is not from here on out so as to avoid confusion.

We were just trying to help and are super sorry to have confused anyone.
2022-11-17
Use props
patiam
First Officer
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

@TerrainDrop thanks for the clarification.
2022-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules