Zebra (overexposure warning) Bug / Flaw, please forward to DEV.
1883 5 2022-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
skyscope
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4202785 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hello DJI Team,

Zebra is the only useful tool in the Fly App for getting overexposure warnings, for example for not to lose details in clouds.
However, the zebra function works very poorly with the Mavic 3 (Classic) in D-Log.

D-Log clips at 84 IRE in NLE's waveform scopes (about 856 in Resolves data levels), but Zebra is already shown on the DJI RC in D-Log View at 80 IRE (about 820 Data Levels), which means about 2/3 f-stops too early.

It is even worse if you activate the Log Display Assistant (ultimately a Display LUT), then the zebra is displayed another f-stop earlier, so about 1 2/3 f-stops are wasted if you orientate yourself on it. Or in other words: 1 2/3 stops of usable data in the container is wasted, if you use Zebra for Overexposure warning.

Please pass this on to the dev team. It would also be nice if the display assistant tool still take the real log clipping of the footage into account, not the Rec709 display clipping after applying the LUT

Thank you!

Besides that, the Mavic 3 Classic is awesome, especially the D-Log implementation - very close to S-Log3, which simplify things a lot. Finally a huge upgrade from the Mavic 2 Pro reagarding dynamic range, color and details. Great job!

2022-11-10
Use props
Phantom_Film
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1609482 ft
Greece

+1 for me, i also noticed that zebra comes in too early... I hope Dji will look into this and fix it in a future update.
2022-11-10
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

I only understood about a third of what was said, but I appreciate users like you nudging DJI in the right direction!!!
2022-11-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for your feedback. I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. Rest assured that we are doing our best to gather customers' inquiries and work on solutions to provide the best customer service to our consumers. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-11-11
Use props
Eddo
New

United States

Same here, the Overexposure Warning (zebras) is way off. And the D-Log Display assist is too. Why can't we have an adjustable zebra setting like cameras do, and the ability to load our own LUTs, like cameras do? It seems simple enough. As it is now I'm not liking the M3 much. I sold my Air2S for the M3's better image, but if I can't easily expose the image it sucks.
2022-11-27
Use props
ZmoothOperator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 187516 ft
Norway

"It is even worse if you activate the Log Display Assistant (ultimately a Display LUT), then the zebra is displayed another f-stop earlier, so about 1 2/3 f-stops are wasted if you orientate yourself on it."

So exposure is actually measured AFTER display assists. That's silly, and surely they can fix that...?
2022-11-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules