[SOLVED] Feature Request: Additional Shutter Speed Options
1232 7 2022-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ford4D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7608 ft

United States

Hi again, DJI! This has been a feature I've been meaning to request for a couple months now, but I always forget to write a post about it when I get home from a shoot.
Feature:
The ability to select shutter speeds in multiples of 60, like 120, 180, 240, 300, 360, 420, 480, 540, 600 et cetera.

Explanation:
When I'm doing steady work, I like to set the shutter speed to a higher setting (usually 200 and up) to keep everything as sharp as possible while I'm moving about.

The problem is, in a lot of music studios, live event spaces, and brightly lit outdoor areas with lots of screen like Time Square, they use lights that have a refresh rate / frequency of about 60 Hz per second. So the higher my shutter speed, the more weird lighting artifacts and strange shadows and flickers I get.

This limits me to only shooting at a shutter speed of 30 or 60. (And often I'm shooting content that can't be filmed at 30 or 60fps).

I know the numbers I requested look weird and it adds a lot to the menu. But it would really help in real world practical scenarios.

Edit Feb 9th 2023:
Been meaning to update this thread for a month or two. Because as it turns out there is a solution that was already built into the software of the camera since the very first interations (I'm honestly surprised the DJI reps replying to this thread didn't realize it was already an existing feature!)

Turns out we could set arbitary shutter speeds the entire time. It works pretty similarily to the way that custom white balance works. I discovered this while wondering if the Ronin 4D could be put into a classic style shutter angle mode like the other cinema cameras I work with, and looked up how to do it. (The only resource on this strangely undocumented feature is from a Film and Digital Times magazine article written by Jon Fauer from January 2022 before the Ronin4D was even released — thank God they uploaded it as a PDF and made it indexible to Google!)

Basically you long press on the shutter speed icon (or hold down the physical button) and it gives you additional options. You can change into shutter angle mode, or you can add your own custom shutter speeds! So you can dial in the exact shutter speeds for the lights you're working with (or forced to work around lol) and they'll appear in the list right next to the default values. This is exactly what I was looking for! (Surprised nobody on this board knew the answer).

As far as I can tell, you can't manually enter in decimal values. So if you're shooting at say 23.976 frames per second and you want that exact perfect 180 degree shutter angle look, you need to switch to shutter angle mode. BUT, I bring that up because I was able to get it to save 47.952 as a preset value by then switching back to shutter speed mode.
2022-11-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for your feedback. I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. Rest assured that we are doing our best to gather customers' inquiries and work on solutions to provide the best customer service to our consumers. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-11-10
Use props
Ford4D
lvl.3

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-10 22:34
Thank you for your feedback. I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. Rest assured that we are doing our best to gather customers' inquiries and work on solutions to provide the best customer service to our consumers. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Any update on what the designated team said about this feature idea? Is it something they'd be able to implement at some point with a future update?
2022-11-22
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Ford4D Posted at 11-22 10:59
Any update on what the designated team said about this feature idea? Is it something they'd be able to implement at some point with a future update?

Thank you for your response. We don't have any assurance or timeframe regarding the said suggestion. Please stay tuned to DJI's official website, as we will update the latest news on the official website as soon as we received it. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-11-24
Use props
Ford4D
lvl.3

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-24 02:40
Thank you for your response. We don't have any assurance or timeframe regarding the said suggestion. Please stay tuned to DJI's official website, as we will update the latest news on the official website as soon as we received it. Thank you for your understanding and support.

No no, I'm not asking WHEN. I'm asking what the team THOUGHT of the suggestion. And also if it was something they think they could or would implement sometime in the future.
2022-11-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Ford4D Posted at 11-25 10:11
No no, I'm not asking WHEN. I'm asking what the team THOUGHT of the suggestion. And also if it was something they think they could or would implement sometime in the future.

We haven't received any updates with regard to the said request, Ford4D. We appreciate your patience and understanding with this one. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-11-28
Use props
Ford4D
lvl.3

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-28 02:14
We haven't received any updates with regard to the said request, Ford4D. We appreciate your patience and understanding with this one. Thank you for your valued support.

Okay, since you haven't received any updates from them, could you ask them what they think about adding it as a feature? This is going to be critical to whether I need to buy another piece of equipment. I'd prefer to shoot on the 4D
2022-12-9
Use props
Ford4D
lvl.3

United States

Been meaning to update this thread for a month or two. Because as it turns out there is a solution that was already built into the software of the camera since the very first interations (I'm honestly surprised the DJI reps replying to this thread didn't realize it was already an existing feature!)

Turns out we could set arbitary shutter speeds the entire time. It works pretty similarily to the way that custom white balance works. I discovered this while wondering if the Ronin 4D could be put into a classic style shutter angle mode like the other cinema cameras I work with, and looked up how to do it. (The only resource on this strangely undocumented feature is from a Film and Digital Times magazine article written by Jon Fauer ASC from January 2022 before the Ronin4D was even released — thank God they uploaded it as a PDF and made it indexible to Google!)

Basically you long press on the shutter speed icon (or hold down the physical button) and it gives you additional options. You can change into shutter angle mode, or you can add your own custom shutter speeds! So you can dial in the exact shutter speeds for the lights you're working with (or forced to work around lol) and they'll appear in the list right next to the default values. This is exactly what I was looking for! (Surprised nobody on this board knew the answer).

As far as I can tell, you can't manually enter in decimal values. So if you're shooting at say 23.976 frames per second and you want that exact perfect 180 degree shutter angle look, you need to switch to shutter angle mode. BUT, I bring that up because I was able to get it to save 47.952 as a preset value by then switching back to shutter speed mode.

I'll be adding this to the top of the post as an edit and changing the title of the thread to add  [SOLVED] to it. Hopefully this information helps other people.
2023-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules