Any way to autofocus in "AF-S" mode on Mavic 3 (like on 2)?
2413 6 2022-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rgames
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I just got a Mavic 3 Classic after flying a Mavic 2 Pro for several years.  On the Mavic 2 I could record video using the equivalent of "AF-S" mode (i.e. "autofocus single" mode) on a still camera.  In that mode, you pick a spot and autofocus once on that spot before recording video and then it never changes until the next time you touch the screen to focus.

It seems the only option on the Mavic 3 is the equivalent of "AF-C" mode where it continually tries to update focus while recording.

Is there any way to make the 3 operate like the 2 in that regard?

Thanks
2022-11-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for your feedback. I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. Rest assured that we are doing our best to gather customers' inquiries and work on solutions to provide the best customer service to our consumers. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-11-10
Use props
rgames
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

So I gather the answer is "No"?  You can't focus on the Mavic 3 like we did on the Mavic 2?

AF-S is a pretty basic autofocus mode.  I don't think I've seen a pro/enthusiast camera in the last several decades that doesn't have it.  As I noted, it was present on the Mavic 2.

Anybody else have any ideas?

I find it hard to believe it doesn't exist. There must be some kind of miscommunication here.

Thanks
2022-12-10
Use props
skyscope
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4202785 ft
  • >>>
Germany

rgames Posted at 12-10 15:49
So I gather the answer is "No"?  You can't focus on the Mavic 3 like we did on the Mavic 2?

AF-S is a pretty basic autofocus mode.  I don't think I've seen a pro/enthusiast camera in the last several decades that doesn't have it.  As I noted, it was present on the Mavic 2.

Yes, it's annoying that AF-S is missing.
To avoid autofocus pumping while shooting with AF-C, I switch to MF after autofocusing before I start shooting. It's cumbersome though, and AF-S would be greatly appreciated in one of the next FW updates.

2022-12-11
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Also wanted to mention that switching to MF - manual focus does the trick. You can also turn on Peaking levels in Camera menu to normal or high (maybe it's just normal as the highest available), with this setting you can see in red color what part of your image is in focus, though this might only work for photos, not videos (I use this feature for photos mostly).
2022-12-12
Use props
Brocklll
lvl.3
  • >>>
Germany

Hey,

the mavic 2  and phantom 4 pro, the af-s/af-c switch was in the menu. The mavic 3 had standard af-s from the Release! But, for any reason DJI changed it to af-c (also while recording) in one of the last 2 FW-upgrades.

It's ruining a lot of my shots.

Please DJI,  bring back the the af-s/af-c switch in the fly app!!! Its a must for professionals and quick workflow!

Thank you!!
2023-3-12
Use props
fans354983a4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 133163 ft
Slovakia

Mf je zlé
3-20 08:29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now