Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Connecting a Lavalier Mic to Osmo Action 3
7787 27 2022-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hello

I want to connect a wired external Mic to the Osmo Action 3. I have an AGPTEK external mic that came with a bunch of connectors but it does not work.

Does anyone know what cable I need to connect such a simple mic. I know it needs to be a USB C to 3.5 mm Jack but I have one of those and it does not work.Is there somthing I am missing ?

My Mic has this end which I think is TRRS see pic below

Mic End.jpg
2022-11-12
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am thinking this is the Apapter. Am I possibly correct

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headpho ... 60826_t1_B07N355W9M
2022-11-12
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Couldnt wait  lol so I have bought one of these works with Osmo Pocket somight work with Action 3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B094 ... ef_=chk_typ_imgToDp
2022-11-12
Use props
DaveInMoto
lvl.2
Italy

i've used the huawei USB C earphones for smartphones, cut the earphones out and works brilliant directly with usb C. I use it in my helmet for motovlog and the quality i think is very good with 0db in the camera settings.
2022-11-12
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I bought BOYA BY-K4 that works great, but not for vlogging since my BOYA mic is too powerful when driving
2022-11-12
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use this one, but you do have to be careful with input volume because it is so easy to overdrive the Action 3 and distortion creeps in on peaks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/prod ... e?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2022-11-12
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Iancraig10 Posted at 11-12 03:25
I use this one, but you do have to be careful with input volume because it is so easy to overdrive the Action 3 and distortion creeps in on peaks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08K2X8FL4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That one is TRS Rather than TRRS. So not sure what is going on. Also that link says unavailable.

This is all a tad complicated lol
2022-11-12
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there, Bigplumbs. Thank you for your inquiry. To connect your Lavalier Mic to your Osmo Action 3, you need to use adapters mainly an Audio adapter cable and a 3.5mm female-to-female audio adapter. Moreover, the USB-C to 3.5mm male plug (TRS) should be able to support 48K/16 bits digital types and the female jacks on both sides should have TRS specifications. The connection method is as follows:
Osmo Action 3 (USB-C female jack) → Audio adapter cable (USB-C male plug) → Audio adapter cable (3.5mm male plug) → Audio adapter cable (3.5mm female jack) → Audio adapter cable (USB-C male plug) → Microphone (3.5mm male plug).
Additionally, here are the recommended brands of accessories that have been tested:
For Audio Adapter Cable:
1. Mailada: C35L/T;
2. BOYA: BY-K2;
3. Saramonic: SR-C2001;
For the 3.5mm female-to-female audio adapter, there is no recommended product. Any products that meet the requirements will work. Should you have any concerns or inquiries, please do not hesitate to reach us here at DJI Forum. Thank you for your continued support.
2022-11-12
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

you will need an adapter trrs to usbc
2022-11-12
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 11-12 04:25
you will need an adapter trrs to usbc

Thats what I thought. Lot more understandable than the long text from DJI above
2022-11-12
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 11-12 05:21
Thats what I thought. Lot more understandable than the long text from DJI above

But take note of TRRS not TRS.
To be honest it's probably best to just buy a half decent USB-C mic since everything is going that way finally.
2022-11-12
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 11-12 02:04
Couldnt wait  lol so I have bought one of these works with Osmo Pocket somight work with Action 3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B094VPY9Z2?psc=1&smid=A1P6S9CQ334XGO&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Good deal on that just now I just bought it even though I have one similar - so I can leave one in car all the time.
2022-11-12
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

4wd Posted at 11-12 05:42
Good deal on that just now I just bought it even though I have one similar - so I can leave one in car all the time.

Well lets hope it works. To be honest I got so confused and it was only £11 with the discount so I just decided to buy it and see lol
2022-11-12
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

4wd Posted at 11-12 05:42
Good deal on that just now I just bought it even though I have one similar - so I can leave one in car all the time.

Mine arrived today and guess what it does not work.

I suppose as DJI were little help you just keep buying stuff till you find one that does work
2022-11-13
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So to be clear does anyone know of a USB C wired Lav mic that works with the Osmo Action 3
2022-11-13
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 11-13 06:48
So to be clear does anyone know of a USB C wired Lav mic that works with the Osmo Action 3

Https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0963DLZCH/

Note there are two versions one is somewhat directional
Well three versions if you want additional cable.

Reading between lines the one you got states will work with Action 2 and Osmo pocket/pocket 2 - they do use a different protocol and need their special adapter for 3.5mm inputs.
Whereas with Action 3 any cheap adapter cable will do. Or a cimple USB-C as sold for android phones.
I have pocket 2 when mine arrives it will go with that.
2022-11-14
Use props
alloffroad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6339409 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I purchased this one from Amazon, and it does NOT work with a Video Mic Go or a Video Mic Pro on the Osmo Action 3

2022-11-14
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

alloffroad Posted at 11-14 19:34
I purchased this one from Amazon, and it does NOT work with a Video Mic Go or a Video Mic Pro on the Osmo Action 3

[view_image]

You will need a TRRS input plug, or a TRS converted to TRRS with further adapter.
Then it should work.
2022-11-15
Use props
agcruise
lvl.1
Flight distance : 885381 ft
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2022-11-12 04:08
Hi there, Bigplumbs. Thank you for your inquiry. To connect your Lavalier Mic to your Osmo Action 3, you need to use adapters mainly an Audio adapter cable and a 3.5mm female-to-female audio adapter. Moreover, the USB-C to 3.5mm male plug (TRS) should be able to support 48K/16 bits digital types and the female jacks on both sides should have TRS specifications. The connection method is as follows:
Osmo Action 3 (USB-C female jack) → Audio adapter cable (USB-C male plug) → Audio adapter cable (3.5mm male plug) → Audio adapter cable (3.5mm female jack) → Audio adapter cable (USB-C male plug) → Microphone (3.5mm male plug).
Additionally, here are the recommended brands of accessories that have been tested:

Hello Tony,  I have been reeaaally struggling with this issue too.  I really like all other aspects of the the OA2 so I am motivated to solve this problem.  I won't get into my curiosity about this particularly curious engineering.  I have read your post a few dozen times and I don't quite get it.  I think you are saying that the four components are:
OA2 (female USB-C)
cable with male USBc and male 3.5
cable with female 3.5 and male USBc
lav mic with male 3.5
If I am reading your post correctly, that would suggest connecting a male USBc to a male 3.5
Lav mic with male 3.5.

Could you please clarify?
And can you confirm that a lav mic with USBc male will not work?

Thank you very much
  -Al in Seattle
2023-3-10
Use props
fansd23f3543
lvl.1
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2022-11-12 04:08
Hi there, Bigplumbs. Thank you for your inquiry. To connect your Lavalier Mic to your Osmo Action 3, you need to use adapters mainly an Audio adapter cable and a 3.5mm female-to-female audio adapter. Moreover, the USB-C to 3.5mm male plug (TRS) should be able to support 48K/16 bits digital types and the female jacks on both sides should have TRS specifications. The connection method is as follows:

Hello Tony,  I have been reeaaally struggling with this issue too.  I really like all other aspects of the the OA2 so I am motivated to solve this problem.  I won't get into my curiosity about this particularly curious engineering.  I have read your post a few dozen times and I don't quite get it.  I think you are saying that the four components are:
OA2 (female USB-C)
cable with female 3.5 and male USBc
lav mic with male 3.5
If I am reading your post correctly, that would suggest connecting a male USBc to a male 3.5
Lav mic with male 3.5.

Could you please clarify?
And can you confirm that a lav mic with USBc male will not work?

Thank you very much
  -Al in Seattle
2023-3-10
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This whole process should be simple but it is very confusing. I gave up after spending quite a lot of money and have several bits of stuff that doesn’t work.

I think DJI do this on purpose to sell their stuff
2023-3-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fansd23f3543 Posted at 3-10 17:59
OA2 (female USB-C)

Hi, Al. Thanks for reaching out. Here are the answers to your questions:
1. The components would be the following:
a. DJI Action 2 female USB-C;
b. An Audio Adapter (USB-C to 3.5mm male plug (TRS);
c. 3.5mm female-to-female audio adapter;
d. Lavalier Mic 3.5mm male plug.
The USB-C male of the audio adapter should be plugged into the USB-C port of the DJI Action 2. The other end of the adapter which is the 3.5mm male plug should be plugged into one end of the 3.5mm female-to-female audio adapter, and the 3.5mm male plug of the external microphone should be plugged into the other end of the female adapter.
2. Regarding the external microphones using USB-C male plug, there is no need for adapters. You can just directly plug it into the DJI Action 2's USB-C female jack. However, since the specific microphone you're inquiring about is not included in our recommended list, we cannot completely guarantee the result, but you can always try.
For your reference, here is a list of the recommended external microphones:
1. DJI: DJI Mic;
2. Soaiy: MK3;
3. Fifine: FJ230;
4. Latzz: A3
5. Lenovo: UM6S;
6. Saramonic: U3A.
We hope this helps. Please let us know if you need further clarification. Have a nice day.
2023-3-11
Use props
fansd23f3543
lvl.1
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 3-11 00:25

Thank you.  this helps.  And I actually misspoke, I actually have the OA3 not the OA2.  Same set up?
Thanks again-
  -Al
2023-3-11
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fansd23f3543 Posted at 3-11 08:57
Thank you.  this helps.  And I actually misspoke, I actually have the OA3 not the OA2.  Same set up?
Thanks again-
  -Al

You are most welcome. And yes, it's the same setup.
2023-3-11
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26296 ft
Denmark

Buy Apple usb c jack adaptor. works perfekt for that trrs jack. Boya k4 sucks, have it, just bad produkt.   
When you need that crisp audio trs or usb c lav is the way, no one have tested any other trs adsptors or usb c lav yet, only that boya.
2023-3-14
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

phone mic is posted why buy apple th yare like oranges
2023-3-14
Use props
djiuser_RtgHVTggKVHK
New
Canada

DJI Tony Posted at 3-11 00:25

Hi Tony,

Help me understand something - and maybe this is because this is a post from 2022 - but I'm unable to find ANY of the "mics" you've recommended in this list.

I'm trying to get the COMICA Vimo C3 to work with the camera and I'm having zero joy.  I have all the right connectors, but still nothing.  So - does DJI have any recommendations for actual wireless lavaliers?  Because the list you've provided are mics that either don't exist anymore, or are not what has been requested.

Thanks
2023-8-14
Use props
lutzmix
lvl.4
Germany

djiuser_RtgHVTggKVHK Posted at 8-14 13:47
Hi Tony,

Help me understand something - and maybe this is because this is a post from 2022 - but I'm unable to find ANY of the "mics" you've recommended in this list.
Boya K04 is ok
you can try a cheap chinese cable 30cm usbc-trs
Aliexpress Foto Shop
put it in the camera usbc port and mic symbol popup

Mobile Mate Arena shop samsung usbc-trrs
Screenshot_2023-08-15-10-04-18-360_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
IMG_20230807_154046.jpg
Screenshot_2023-08-15-10-30-54-529_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
2023-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now