Ronin RS3 Sensitivity Setting
2690 5 2022-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans6381fdf7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

The Ronin S has a ‘sensitivity’ setting. I found this hugely important as it allowed me to make much more precise movements with the gimbal. Not having this ‘sensitivity’ setting means that the follow speed always goes from zero to whatever the follow speed is set to at the same rate. This can make gimbal moves a bit jerky as the follow movement kicks in at the fixed sensitivity rate (which is too fast for my taste). The only way I find to slightly counter this is to reduce my follow speed, but by doing so limits the top end speed of my gimbal movement – so for example if I want to make a move that starts very slowly and then in the same shot start panning very quickly then I can’t do so. If there were a ‘sensitivity’ setting I could do this easily by setting the follow speed higher and the sensitivity lower, so as I start the move I just make small movements with the gimbal and the low sensitivity means the follow speed at this point is low, then I can make bigger movements with the gimbal and will attain the full range of the follow speed I’ve set.
Not having a ‘sensitivity’ setting really seems to be dumbing down the gimbal – removing one setting for people to concern themselves with – but it’s a huge loss.

I have appealed to DJI in the past to reintroduce the sensitivity setting, but I’ve been told “Because of the characteristic of RS2 and the difference between RS2 and Ronin-S, there is no sensitivity setting for RS2 for now. This sensitivity setting has been integrated into the following speed algorithm. It is more user-friendly” – Unfortunately though, this simply isn’t the case, but it does point to my assumption that the only reason it was removed was to make it simpler.

Others have also queried why ‘sensitivity’ has been removed and were told “The acceleration/sensitivity function is designed for the gimbal to respond to sudden acceleration. We added Sports Mode, which can accustom to this scenario” – again this doesn’t really cover it, since my main use for the sensitivity setting was to LOWER the sensitivity/acceleration (not increase it ala sports mode).

Can DJI please reconsider adding the ‘sensitivity’ setting back for the Ronin gimbals? As it is, I think I’m going to have to go back to using the Ronin S since it’s performance (thanks to have manual sensitivity adjustments) vastly outperforms the newer models – which is a shame since there are aspect of the newer models I really like (being more lightweight and locking motors). Is this something DJI can look into?

2022-11-12
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, there.
Thanks for your feedback and detailed information.
We will forward your suggestion to the relevant team and see how we can do better.
If there is anything else that we can help with, please just let us know here anytime.
Thank you for your support.
2022-11-14
Use props
nyvz
lvl.1

United States

YES! I've been saying this since the RS2.  I strongly considered going back to the Ronin-S and directly tested all the RS2, RS3, and Ronin-S side by side and found the Ronin-S was by far the best for follow control because of the sensitivity adjustment. I actually returned my RS3 pro because in my precision long lens tests the RS3 follow control algorithm was substantially worse than the RS2 as well.  I found the RS3 follow control was even worse than the RS2 and the RS2 suffers considerably compared to the Ronin-S for dynamic movements where you have to change speed or direction during the shot because of the lack of sensitivity control.
Frankly if they can't bring back sensitivity they should at least set the fixed sensitivity(acceleration) as high as possible so that any given speed setting allows fully responsive control of the gimbal.
The Ronin-S sensitivity setting was mostly useful just because if you turn the sensitivity all the way up and the speed down, you almost never have to change the settings since you get very fine precise slow movement by turning the handle slowly and very fast responsive movement turning the handle fast.  I've used many generations of gimbals and found the acceleration/sensitivity setting was critical for ease of operation but I generally set it as high as it would go so that I could encompass a larger range of speeds in one set of follow settings.  The way the RS2/RS3 are now, the sensitivity seems to be low so the speed is very linear, meaning any given speed setting has much less range between how slow and how fast it can move depending on the handle movement.  It's quite terrible since there is no speed setting that works for continuous operating or running and gunning on a zoom lens and I have to constantly change my speed settings depending on the focal length and type of shot and if the type of movement or focal length changes during the shot you're basically screwed.

This was extremely clear when I first got the RS2 and did some run and gun shooting on a zoom where I had to quickly go between following people walking a wide lens (needing medium speed setting) and slow slider shots zoomed in on various subjects when they arrived at their destination (needing slow speed setting) and even riding the speed which is very difficult while operating still yielded worse results than I'm used to with one setting on the Ronin-S with sensitivity turned up and speed turned down and not needing to adjust settings at all.  This is also very obvious when I'm capturing b-roll on a super-zoom lens where every time I switch focal lengths I have to dial in speed where I never used to have to with sensitivity turned up.  The sensitivity of the follow response curve as it is now not changeable means that I'm almost always at the wrong speed setting for the shot I want to do and have to carefully set the speed setting through testing to get the best operation for any shot.  I can get away with switching between low and medium for most things but as a long time gimbal operator I can tell the speed is almost always a bit wrong for any given shot, and that wouldn't happen if I could just turn the handle a little faster or slower to get the speed I want, but that isn't possible with the sensitivity so low.

2022-12-8
Use props
fans6381fdf7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

You're absolutely right, and you describe the exact issues I've been experiencing so well. It is hugely disappointing from DJI. For the incremental improvements they've made in the RS2 and RS3 such as auto locking motors etc, I can't believe they've gone backwards on what's most important, which is usability and performance! And you're right, the RS3 is even worse in this regard than the RS2. For every shot I find myself having to manually change the speed setting, and there are some shots I just can't do anymore that used to be easy with the Ronin S, such as a slow precise move into a fast pan. I've actually stopped using my RS2 and RS3 and gone back to using my Ronin S for now. I just hope DJI do take note and this can be fixed in an update for the RS3, or at least in the next model down the line. I fear they're prioritizing simplicity of use over performance    
2022-12-8
Use props
lazymgimbal
lvl.2
United States

+1 for this!  On the Ronin 2 it's called acceleration I believe and on the Rs2 it was called sensitivity but the loss of this control is devastating.  I understand their concern to make the interface more simple but PLEASE let pro users have the option to adjust this in an advanced menu or something!  We also lost control to independently set deadband levels per axis which is huge bummer.
2023-2-12
Use props
fans6381fdf7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I've given up on my RS3. I've just bought a 2nd hand Ronin S and it's miles better than the RS2 and RS3! Crazy that I have to go back to a 5 year old model to be able to make simple sensitivity adjustments. I also think I get less micro vibrations with the Ronin S, not sure why, but maybe something to do with the Ronin S being aluminium rather than carbon fibre.  
2023-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules