No Fly Zones & Firmware
1958 10 2015-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bfarnham100
New
Flight distance : 951 ft
United States

My apoligies if this is a repeat, but I searched and could not find the topic...

Does the Phantom 3 (Professional) firmware include no fly zone restrictions as the firmware for Phantom 2 did? Or are we on our own for that. I need to know for possible FAA COA documentation. I don't want to claim something that is not there.

Thanks!
2015-8-13
Use props
Cables
New

Canada

yes im pretty sure it does
Check this Link http://flysafe.dji.com/no-fly
2015-8-13
Use props
chris
lvl.2

Finland

connect your controller to device open app get map large and scroll around to airports and they show up as red no fly zones so they are in firmware I guess

I cant upload picture from app on mobile
2015-8-13
Use props
myhondas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12100 ft
United States

Any tower controlled airport and many non-towered airports are no fly zones in the usa.
Not all show up on the maps, but  get in range of one and you will get the warning on the pilot app.
I have flown in the warning areas of airports and had no problem as long as you respect the altitude restrictions.
As a pilot, I don't want to hit a drone with my plane and as a drone pilot, I don't want to lose my bird to a plane strike and be
responsible for bringing a plane down with the resulting lawsuits, criminal and civil damages, etc.
2015-8-13
Use props
Stealth...
lvl.2

Netherlands

I'm living near an airport (Amsterdam) and my P3 showed the no-flyzone and even all leds of my bird turned red warning me for this restricted area.
2015-8-13
Use props
JDLVphantom
lvl.1

United States

Cables Posted at 2015-8-14 02:17
yes im pretty sure it does
Check this Link http://flysafe.dji.com/no-fly

The DJI map is not correct - it is only showing right at the airports - not the 5 mile exclusion zone.  I would use https://www.mapbox.com/drone/no-fly/ for a more accurate map of no fly zones
2015-8-13
Use props
supercrackmunke
lvl.1

United States

JDLVphantom Posted at 2015-8-14 04:12
The DJI map is not correct - it is only showing right at the airports - not the 5 mile exclusion z ...

I'm a little wary of that map. It says I live in a no fly zone listed as "Temporary Flight Restrictions" but the airport just down the street isn't listed as such. It IS a very tiny airport, and they do allow R/C planes in an adjacent field so long as you don't cross the road near the hangars. (You can't launch the your drone though, the app wont let you.
2015-8-13
Use props
stvnvicbc
lvl.2

Canada

supercrackmunke Posted at 2015-8-14 04:48
I'm a little wary of that map. It says I live in a no fly zone listed as "Temporary Flight Restric ...

The firmware/app does not have all the ATC marked.  The main airport in town here is on their map and i believe it is actually hard geofenced into the hardware, however our downtown harbour is also an active ATC aerodrome, does not appear on the DJI interface and is not included in the geofencing.  The park where several Phantom Operators fly is well within this NFZ.  (ATC Control from Surface to 2500').

As an aside, it also does not show the NFZ's around our prisons/jails or Military establishments.
2015-8-13
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

JDLVphantom Posted at 2015-8-14 04:12
The DJI map is not correct - it is only showing right at the airports - not the 5 mile exclusion z ...

"The DJI map is not correct" - it would be great to see the maps on a competing UAV product to compare - it might be a case of garbage-in/garbage-out.  I doubt DJI is stripping off information since they went to all the trouble of including it in the first place.  

And agree with JDLVphantom's link of No-Fly Zones.  I tend to fly in the same places.  So I printed screen shots of the maps from those areas and laminated them.  I carry them in my flight bag in case I get the classic know-it-all trouble maker telling me I can't fly here.  Then I politely whip out the maps.
2015-8-13
Use props
supercrackmunke
lvl.1

United States

stvnvicbc Posted at 2015-8-14 04:57
The firmware/app does not have all the ATC marked.  The main airport in town here is on their map  ...

I was just looking at military bases and their no fly zones the other day (as I live next to a Navy site) and noticed that several were missing from the DJI map, as well as many other maps. I'm not saying it's a bad map, or that the DJI map is better, only that you should still be careful as some of the smaller airports aren't marked.
2015-8-13
Use props
d.hautle
lvl.2
Flight distance : 118766 ft
Switzerland

It does contain no fly zones. I live next to an airfield that has been closed for several years now, but they still have the no fly zone, which is very annoying: a message "your are in a restricted area" pops up every 5 seconds :/. Sent an email to DJI, they said they would remove it and instead they made it bigger :O
2015-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules