Rust under props
1372 10 2022-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Javierz0509
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6321804 ft
United States

As I was inspecting my Mavic 3 props I noticed rust dust under the props, these are the original props from Mavic 3 launch, has anyone else noticed this?

never crash or fly into red dust, this is my Mavic 3 from launch month and the original props.
. Capture.JPG

2'.PNG
2022-11-13
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yes, mines look almost exactly the same too
2022-11-13
Use props
Javierz0509
lvl.4
United States

Monkey007 Posted at 11-13 22:07
Yes, mines look almost exactly the same too

what i am doing is cleaning them and swapping props, after cleaning it with alcohol they seem fine, just wanted to let others know, the drone has been flying great.

also added WD40 to a lint-free pad and wipe the prop shaft without adding anything to the motors, they seem to be fine, like i said before uncovering this the drone been flying great, i dont think it need to be sent to DJI or anything like that.  
2022-11-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for the tip!
2022-11-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've seen the same thing on the bottom of my Air 2S props.  Not sure what causes it but hasn't effected the flight of the drone at all.  I just keep cleaning them every 30 hours.  After initial cleaning the amount of rust dust is now minimal.  
2022-11-14
Use props
Tornado12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 356391 ft
United States

Anytime you see rust, the cause is obvious. Moisture. One form or another, moisture is finding its way to those metal surfaces and then sitting there for extended periods. I have noticed on a few occasions my mavic 3 will form a very light condensation on the body. In my case I attributed this to the water tight case I keep the Mavic 3 in. You put the drone in the case in a house, with air conditioning, then when I open the case in the Florida heat, the drone is still cool and insulated in the case, and In these scenarios I have felt a light condensation form. Really though any big and sudden shifts in temperature like this can cause condensation. Of course there are other ways the drone can get wet. Perhaps you fly through fog in the morning and then stuff the drone in a water tight case afterwards - without allowing it to air dry. That moisture from the fog will sit in little cracks and nooks like the props for extended periods inside a water tight case sealed from all airflow.

Ever since I noticed the condensation a few times, I got to where now when I put my mavic 3 up in my house, I crack the case open so it can breath.
2022-11-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Atmosphere you fly in will cause this also if you ever fly in very cold temperatures you will see ice gather on the props so this will also cause rust to appear. Just simply doing what you’re doing now will keep your drone in good nick.
2022-11-14
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the heads up.  It looks like a bit of oxidation easily removed.  Maybe this is your sign you are not getting to fly your drone enough?  ; )
2022-11-14
Use props
Javierz0509
lvl.4
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 11-14 11:50
Thanks for the heads up.  It looks like a bit of oxidation easily removed.  Maybe this is your sign you are not getting to fly your drone enough?  ; )

That's the thing I do fly my drone LOL, I remember in the past they getting a little bit of condensation but I never thought it would create a film of rust in the prop shaft.
2022-11-14
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you fly over or near the ocean, it's worth wiping the drone down after flying. Sea spray will cause this and it's best to not leave it covered in the corrosive mist.

Nothing to hugely worry about, just don't leave it damp in your bag after flying.
2022-11-15
Use props
Grimtheviking
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for reminding me, just given mine a clean wipe down. I always leave my bag open slightly.
2022-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules