Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
The road to nowhere............
777 67 2022-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-16 05:32
Hang it there and hope it gets better soon.

More rain today even though the forecast was for it to stop at 6am and not return until tonight,    I got a good soaking which I realty didn't need today.   
2022-11-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-16 07:40
More rain today even though the forecast was for it to stop at 6am and not return until tonight,    I got a good soaking which I realty didn't need today.

Saves having to shower at home.    Sorry, I'm sure that was a funny event for you.  
2022-11-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-16 11:23
Saves having to shower at home.    Sorry, I'm sure that was a funny event for you.

Well I certainly could have had a good shower this morning.    gales and a lot of rain.
2022-11-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-17 00:36
Well I certainly could have had a good shower this morning.    gales and a lot of rain.

Sorry, I meant to say that was NOT a funny event for you.  Guess I should read my replies before hitting the blue reply button.  
2022-11-17
Use props
ro_walker
lvl.4
Brazil

my pelasure
2022-11-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-17 02:58
Sorry, I meant to say that was NOT a funny event for you.  Guess I should read my replies before hitting the blue reply button.

At least today is dry,  but still a cold damp wind is blowing.
2022-11-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-18 00:54
At least today is dry,  but still a cold damp wind is blowing.

Reminds me of a few days in the Chicago area where the wind was blowing off the lake in the winter and it would cut right through you.  Just chilling all the way to the bone.  
2022-11-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-18 03:45
Reminds me of a few days in the Chicago area where the wind was blowing off the lake in the winter and it would cut right through you.  Just chilling all the way to the bone.

Its warmed uo a bit here,  and my job for the day is done,  luckily it warmed uo as it was an outside job,   mostly.  Had to replace the seat base on the car.  Turned into a seat out job due to the trims that were in the way.
2022-11-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-18 03:51
Its warmed uo a bit here,  and my job for the day is done,  luckily it warmed uo as it was an outside job,   mostly.  Had to replace the seat base on the car.  Turned into a seat out job due to the trims that were in the way.

Sounds like a bit of a complicated job.  Good thing that you are so mechanically inclined.  
2022-11-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-18 04:17
Sounds like a bit of a complicated job.  Good thing that you are so mechanically inclined.

The worse bit was removing the side trims on the seat to gain access to one of the bolts.  There’s no east way to see how they should come off.   And of course it’s slwYs scary messing with thing that have explosives in them.  
2022-11-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-18 04:49
The worse bit was removing the side trims on the seat to gain access to one of the bolts.  There’s no east way to see how they should come off.   And of course it’s slwYs scary messing with thing that have explosives in them.

Very true DA.  I once saw an ejection seat in a A-4 go off inside a hangar when the maintenance person did not "safety" it before doing work on it.  The explosive charge was enough to put him and the seat through the roof of the hangar.  Needless to say he didn't survive the ordeal.  
2022-11-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-18 13:14
Very true DA.  I once saw an ejection seat in a A-4 go off inside a hangar when the maintenance person did not "safety" it before doing work on it.  The explosive charge was enough to put him and the seat through the roof of the hangar.  Needless to say he didn't survive the ordeal.

Is the A4 what they call the Warthog?
2022-11-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-19 01:19
Is the A4 what they call the Warthog?

The A-4 was called the Skyhawk and has a single turbo jet engine with delta wings.  It was made by the Douglas Company.  The A-10 Thunderbolt II is unofficially called the Warthog and has twin turbo fan engines with straight wings.  It was made by the Fairchild Republic Company.  True fact is that it almost didn't go into production due to the airframe not meeting the initial fatigue testing of the 8,000 hour standard.  Minor modifications saved it.  
2022-11-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-19 05:52
The A-4 was called the Skyhawk and has a single turbo jet engine with delta wings.  It was made by the Douglas Company.  The A-10 Thunderbolt II is unofficially called the Warthog and has twin turbo fan engines with straight wings.  It was made by the Fairchild Republic Company.  True fact is that it almost didn't go into production due to the airframe not meeting the initial fatigue testing of the 8,000 hour standard.  Minor modifications saved it.

Ah I looked up the A-4,   certainly a recognisable plane and the A10 s what I was thinking of initially.    8000hours doesn't seem like very much life.
2022-11-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-19 07:00
Ah I looked up the A-4,   certainly a recognisable plane and the A10 s what I was thinking of initially.    8000hours doesn't seem like very much life.

It wasn't but at the time that was the standard for a military aircraft airframe.  Many, if not all the A-4s almost doubled that 8,000 hour standard.  
2022-11-19
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Too hot, too cold, too many jobs to do...you all get the, well picture doesn't seem appropriate.
I forgot batteries too flat.
2022-11-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sky wombat Posted at 11-19 22:05
Too hot, too cold, too many jobs to do...you all get the, well picture doesn't seem appropriate.
I forgot batteries too flat.

Hey,   it takes some effort to break the 51 million feet flown barrier.  
2022-11-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-19 07:23
It wasn't but at the time that was the standard for a military aircraft airframe.  Many, if not all the A-4s almost doubled that 8,000 hour standard.

It's no wonder then how the military spending costs so much money.
2022-11-20
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-20 00:35
It's no wonder then how the military spending costs so much money.

This type of spending continues even to this day.   The carrier-borne F-35C Joint Strike Fighter costs $131.2 million each.  They are two or three times more capable than their predecessors. The good news is these planes are anticipated to remain in service an average of 20 years longer than their predecessors.   Hopefully, they will.  
2022-11-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-20 04:54
This type of spending continues even to this day.   The carrier-borne F-35C Joint Strike Fighter costs $131.2 million each.  They are two or three times more capable than their predecessors. The good news is these planes are anticipated to remain in service an average of 20 years longer than their predecessors.   Hopefully, they will.

I love that plane, but I did smile when I read they stick radar reflectors on it when they fly and want to cooperate with other aircraft and ATC.  
2022-11-20
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-20 05:09
I love that plane, but I did smile when I read they stick radar reflectors on it when they fly and want to cooperate with other aircraft and ATC.

Probably only in peacetime though.  I finally got to see one in person.  It was a static display at an Air Force base in western Florida.  It really is a fantastically designed plane.  The pilot said flying it was like strapping a rocket between your legs and hold on for dear life.  Fastest and most maneuverable plane he said he had ever flown.  Surprisingly he said it was a pilot friendly cockpit.  
2022-11-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-20 05:42
Probably only in peacetime though.  I finally got to see one in person.  It was a static display at an Air Force base in western Florida.  It really is a fantastically designed plane.  The pilot said flying it was like strapping a rocket between your legs and hold on for dear life.  Fastest and most maneuverable plane he said he had ever flown.  Surprisingly he said it was a pilot friendly cockpit.

As far as I recall reading they are used for ferrying flights and training missions but not obviously for active missions unless the mission is to be seen.  
2022-11-20
Use props
Prezzodrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8533 ft

United Kingdom

Ooh.  Not a nice day.
2023-1-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Prezzodrone Posted at 1-18 12:06
Ooh.  Not a nice day.

No,  that one was a challenge
2023-1-19
Use props
Prezzodrone
lvl.4

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-19 01:50
No,  that one was a challenge

Did you have to drive in that?
2023-1-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Prezzodrone Posted at 1-19 11:07
Did you have to drive in that?

Yes I did,  but slower than normal.
2023-1-20
Use props
Prezzodrone
lvl.4

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-20 01:06
Yes I did,  but slower than normal.

A lot slower i would guess.
2023-1-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Prezzodrone Posted at 1-25 12:29
A lot slower i would guess.

It depends on how far you can see,   fog like that is often patchy.
2023-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules