Head Tracking Orientation Drift
1680 11 2022-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EiraSYS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2560784 ft
Portugal

This one is difficult to explain. Looks like DJI Avata Head Tracking may have a problem of calculation, or some kind of drift error.

In the video you can see I orbit the first tree to the right, then I try to orbit the second tree to the left and at the same time going up, but that's when something strange happens to the orientation angle between the drone and the goggles or the motion controller. Can't explain it very well, in the end I just gave up the orbit. Similar flight around a windmill end up with me standing up in the opposite direction (180 degrees) to be able to continue flying forward with 0º in the head tracking gauge.

When you use head tracking in M or S Mode and you orbit some object, looking left or right and you keep the motion controller stable forward or turning around the object, then there is no problem. But if you try to orbit the object and if you go up at the same time then there is an orientation drift of the goggles relative to the orientation of the drone. You can end up rotating 180 degrees backwards of the initial goggles orientation to continue looking forward with 0 degrees in the heading gauge, in the direction you are flying.
It's very disorienting and we end up turning the head tracking off.
Anyone having a similar issue?
I know the video shows "Vision system calibration error" but the head tracking drift problem was already there before the crash that resulted in calibration error. By the way, how can this be corrected? The vision calibration software already works for Avata? Thank you.

2022-11-14
Use props
EiraSYS
lvl.4
Portugal

A possible origin of the problem may be related to Euler angle calculations. Or is it calculated using quaternions? Or else a compass error. Who knows...
2022-11-14
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hello, EiraSYS. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry for the inconvenience caused. We highly recommend proceeding with the Vision System Calibration. And yes, you may perform it through the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series). Concerning the orientation or drift issues with head tracking, we need to collect some data from you for further inspection. To maintain security, we sent you a PM. We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your continued support.
2022-11-14
Use props
EiraSYS
lvl.4
Portugal

How do we reset head tracking heading orientation whithout turning it off and back on?
Is there any double button click in Motion Control for that purpose? If not, please DJI, add this functionality!
2022-12-16
Use props
RickCR
lvl.1

Costa Rica

EiraSYS Posted at 2022-12-16 07:19
How do we reset head tracking heading orientation whithout turning it off and back on?
Is there any double button click in Motion Control for that purpose? If not, please DJI, add this functionality!

If you are talking about the drone heading pointer (circle) and the camera heading icon (cross hairs), if I press the big grey pause button (upper-right) then press it again to continue, the icons seem to re-align themselves.
1-25 13:08
Use props
D35Archangel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 291345 ft
Brunei

Takes some getting used to but i think its ok
1-26 05:39
Use props
D35Archangel
lvl.4
Brunei

I think your O is too far from your X. Im uploading the HUD for the above video and will post it here shortly.
1-26 05:54
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

D35Archangel Posted at 1-26 05:54
I think your O is too far from your X. Im uploading the HUD for the above video and will post it here shortly.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZBcKFQO3dg

uh, you're not really *using* the head tracking much.....you are only *peeking*

try it this way from a video i found:

1-26 09:39
Use props
Arkangel
lvl.4
Brunei

The Saint Posted at 1-26 09:39
uh, you're not really *using* the head tracking much.....you are only *peeking*

try it this way from a video i found:

It depends on how much yaw you need. All it does is emulate the yaw for lateral movements and camera angle for vertical pov. When you have a much bigger object then you will need the yaw movements to be more pronounced when the change in direction is less. Its just tools to accomplish an objective. I also use it to correct for the drone's wind compensation whenever the drone tilts to counter high winds.
1-26 14:16
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Arkangel Posted at 1-26 14:16
It depends on how much yaw you need. All it does is emulate the yaw for lateral movements and camera angle for vertical pov. When you have a much bigger object then you will need the yaw movements to be more pronounced when the change in direction is less. Its just tools to accomplish an objective. I also use it to correct for the drone's wind compensation whenever the drone tilts to counter high winds.

Understood but what I meant was, in order to experience the "issue" that some of us are seeing, you need to do more than just casual looking around.  I love the feature but when I "overuse" it, sometimes it appears to get really confusing and I can't seem to get it back "online" and working correctly/accurately.  I have to stop....and realign.  I'm asking the frequent users to give it a good try and see how well it stands up for you....and let us know your experience please.
1-26 15:51
Use props
Arkangel
lvl.4
Brunei

I do sometimes though rarely find i cannot 'sync' up my view to my flight direction but when that happens, pressing pause resets it. This happened early when i was starting to learn to use it but these days i seldom see it anymore. Now i am matching and syncing my flight and view directions as i fly. e.g. if i yawed left for a hard turn, i would make sure the circle hit dead centre of my view and sync up. I will always try keep both the + and o within my peripheral view so i always know where im going and how I will yaw. I think the 'issue' you maybe talking about is when the circle stays at the edges for a prolonged period of time. Maybe.
1-27 05:12
Use props
EiraSYS
lvl.4
Portugal

Tested and yes, now it works, you can reset head tracking heading orientation with the pause button. Click it twice, but wait between each click because the drone needs some time to change its state. In early Motion Controller use the big button, in the most recent Motion Controller 2 use the orange 'Lock' button. The orientation drift keeps happening, mostly when you make tight curves looking side views for orbiting objects. It gets worse if at the same time you want to go up or down the object, like making a spiral orbit of the object. After learning to use manual mode I don't use MC anymore, video gets softer and more fluid  in manual mode than using the Motion Controller. Although for inspection purposes it's better to use the MC, it's much easier to aim a precise location and fly hovering near the object.
2-1 02:47
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules