Barometer Dead in Air
1943 13 2022-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tucandron
lvl.1
Flight distance : 346545 ft
Ecuador

On Saturday I was flying in a crossfit event, taking photos and some videos; when suddenly my Air 2S collapsed to the floor. It was flying at a height of about 6 feet and at a very low speed when it passed. I took the drone, I inspected it; It had no visible damage, because it fell on artificial grass. When downloading the flight information, I noticed that at the time of the crash it indicated the following error: BAROMETER DEAD IN AIR  I went home and there I flew it over the bed (as a precaution) and it had no problem, just like last night I flew it inside the house and without incident.  what could have happened? Has anyone experienced something similar?
2022-11-14
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Post your flight logs and maybe someone can analyze your logs to check if something is not normal...

Find the appropriate .txt flight logs for the flights and upload the .txt flight logs to
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/

Post the resulting urls here.
2022-11-14
Use props
tucandron
lvl.1
Ecuador

RobZilla Posted at 11-14 11:20
Post your flight logs and maybe someone can analyze your logs to check if something is not normal...

Find the appropriate .txt flight logs for the flights and upload the .txt flight logs to

Thanks for the recommendation RobZilla.

Below I insert the link of the recommended page, although the message BAROMETER DEAD IN AIR appears.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/6JCOIHTKHZFOH6DB2W22/

If anyone has experience on this page and can shed light on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

I am afraid of flying the drone higher or in the sea, and losing it.
2022-11-14
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there, tucandron. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to read about the accident. Please note that the barometer is greatly affected by factors such as the environment and air pressure. Since the drone dropped, we highly suggest that you continue to observe for any abnormalities. If it does, please report it right away. As we know, such situations may cause internal damage to the drone. Additionally, you may do a Firmware Refresh on the drone and ensure that you fly in safe environments. Should you have any concerns or inquiries, please do not hesitate to reach us here at DJI Forum. Thank you for your continued support.
2022-11-14
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12401030 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

tucandron Posted at 11-14 17:36
Thanks for the recommendation RobZilla.

Below I insert the link of the recommended page, although the message BAROMETER DEAD IN AIR appears.

Hi,

Had a look at your flightlog, in the log no True value for the "Barometer dead in air"
No other errors in log wich might explain why it dropped down.

BUT drone pitch and roll angles high value at 14m51s, this is the reason for going down. (see my chart of your data).Barometer 'dead' does not make your drone looses its hover stability in pitch and roll angles.
Did your drone hit something at lowering height? of was hit by bird ?  

Dropping down after approx 10 seconds of hovering, lowering height to 6 meter VPS height. (not what you wrote "flying at 6 feet")

Ofcourse barometer is affected by air pressure ! that is why it is a barometer !!  (silly comment of DJI...)Affected by environment...have no clue why DJI wrote that. No idea what DJI meant by that statement.

Understand your being afraid of flying it again, but barometer is not the cause of the incident.

cheers
JJB

analysis2.png
2022-11-15
Use props
tucandron
lvl.1
Ecuador

JJB* Posted at 11-15 01:29
Hi,

Had a look at your flightlog, in the log no True value for the "Barometer dead in air"

Good morning JJB,

Thank you for helping me with the flight information, which looks more accurate than the one used by me, as shown in the attached image.
You are right, I was wrong in the mention of the height, the height at which I was flying was 6m and the fall was on artificial grass (thank God)

The flight was calm, cloudy weather, little wind, on a small soccer field; there were no birds flying nearby and I always had the drone in sight, also looking at the control and when I noticed the strange movements of the camera, I was alarmed and went to the site.

I have tested the drone 3 times at home since Saturday, I have not given it altitude yet, so far everything is running normally.

2022-11-15
Use props
tucandron
lvl.1
Ecuador

DJI Tony Posted at 11-14 20:58
Hi there, tucandron. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to read about the accident. Please note that the barometer is greatly affected by factors such as the environment and air pressure. Since the drone dropped, we highly suggest that you continue to observe for any abnormalities. If it does, please report it right away. As we know, such situations may cause internal damage to the drone. Additionally, you may do a Firmware Refresh on the drone and ensure that you fly in safe environments. Should you have any concerns or inquiries, please do not hesitate to reach us here at DJI Forum. Thank you for your continued support.

Good morning DJI Tony,

Thank you for taking into account what happened.
If, as can be seen in the attached image, the flight was carried out in a safe area; above the soccer field area there are no cables or trees, I was always attentive to what was around.

Both the control and the batteries have the updated filmware, however I will refresh it just in case.

You are right, the barometer is affected by the weather, since it affects the atmospheric pressure, but there were no changes in the weather; As I mentioned before, there was cloudiness but the weather was cool and windless, the flight site is at sea level.

I will take into account the recommendations and observe the behavior of the drone.

vuelo.jpg
2022-11-15
Use props
tucandron
lvl.1
Ecuador

Here you can visually appreciate how the flight went, everything was in order, the drone in sight, good weather and what was reported happened.

2022-11-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

tucandron Posted at 11-15 07:13
Good morning JJB,

Thank you for helping me with the flight information, which looks more accurate than the one used by me, as shown in the attached image.

Hi,

Interesting to see that AirData shows for the last 10 records the warning "Barometer Dead in Air"
and the CSV file from PhantomHelp does not show this warning in text and also not in the corresponding true/false column. Wonder wich one is correct....

But the warning after your drone started to fall down. Have no idea what why the drone pitch and roll values went crazy like it did.....

+ another way of showing your flight
Cheers
JJB
analysis3.png
2022-11-15
Use props
tucandron
lvl.1
Ecuador

JJB* Posted at 11-15 07:33
Hi,

Interesting to see that AirData shows for the last 10 records the warning "Barometer Dead in Air"

One could assume a couple of things:
1. a violent movement of the control levers
2. bird strike.

In the first, it can be seen from the flight history that the movement of these levers was not fast or forced; they were always slightly moved.
In the second, people would have yelled at me for mistreating birds and feathers would have been seen falling or some trace on the drone; that in itself, its casing is impeccable.
2022-11-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

tucandron Posted at 11-15 07:40
One could assume a couple of things:
1. a violent movement of the control levers
2. bird strike.

1. no RC input in the log, so no violent stick moves.
2. possible.
2022-11-15
Use props
tucandron
lvl.1
Ecuador

JJB* Posted at 11-15 07:43
1. no RC input in the log, so no violent stick moves.
2. possible.

The notifications and the drone flight in that program look good in detail, is it paid?
I do not rule out a possibility that it was a bird, perhaps something I did not see, perhaps something was thrown at him that made him fall; but being an event, with people competing on the court, I doubt it.
Now, if it had been a bird and a propeller touched it, should an obstruction alarm go off? because there is nothing to indicate that
2022-11-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

tucandron Posted at 11-15 10:22
The notifications and the drone flight in that program look good in detail, is it paid?
I do not rule out a possibility that it was a bird, perhaps something I did not see, perhaps something was thrown at him that made him fall; but being an event, with people competing on the court, I doubt it.
Now, if it had been a bird and a propeller touched it, should an obstruction alarm go off? because there is nothing to indicate that

If a motor is blocked long enough due to a bird hit than there is such warning in the log.
Not in your log.

If all the props looks good and no sign al all for a birs hit. hope it is nothing serious like a power supply fail to motors etc.

i use my own (only for Windows) analysis program, it was freeware but now trial ware, to keep it using it needs an unlock code for few bucks.

if you are interested i wll sent you the download link. (just PM me)

cheers
JJB
2022-11-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

tucandron Posted at 11-15 07:22
Good morning DJI Tony,

Thank you for taking into account what happened.

You're very welcome. And we appreciate you considering the suggestions provided. We are hopeful that such an accident will not happen again. Happy flying, tucandron!
2022-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules