Why timecode starts at some arbitrary number?
887 7 2022-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

The Action 3 is my first camera that records timecodes with the video. So, for example, in QuickTime I can just click the time indicator next to the progress bar to switch from HH:MM to Timecode to Frames.
But I noticed the timecode starts at some arbitrary number. Like one video started at 4 hours X minutes. Another video started at 15 hours and X minutes, etc. Why it doesn't start at zero? What is the logic that determines what hour and minute the timecode will start from?

Texas!
2022-11-15
Use props
fish sticks
lvl.4
New Zealand

You wouldn't be able to sync footage from multiple cameras if their timecodes all started at zero for each video. Don't know about how timecodes are set in the Osmo Action 3 though.
2022-11-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello, osmonauta. Thank you for your inquiry. Currently, the firmware of Osmo Action 3 does not support timecodes. I will take it as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of our relevant team. For the latest updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ). Thank you for your support and understanding.
2022-11-16
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-16 19:52
Hello, osmonauta. Thank you for your inquiry. Currently, the firmware of Osmo Action 3 does not support timecodes. I will take it as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of our relevant team. For the latest updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ). Thank you for your support and understanding.

It is a misunderstanding. I was not asking for anything to be implemented or suggested.

The Osmo Action 3 footage does have embedded timecode. You can see it in DaVinci Resolve or even in QuickTime player. It is a separate track. Hence you can even display it in the QuickTime playa.
2022-11-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

osmonauta Posted at 11-16 19:57
It is a misunderstanding. I was not asking for anything to be implemented or suggested.

The Osmo Action 3 footage does have embedded timecode. You can see it in DaVinci Resolve or even in QuickTime player. It is a separate track. Hence you can even display it in the QuickTime playa.

Hello, osmonauta. We apologize if we misunderstood you. Can you please provide a screenshot or sample video of the embedded timecode you're pertaining to for further checking? We will wait for your response.
2022-11-16
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-16 20:05
Hello, osmonauta. We apologize if we misunderstood you. Can you please provide a screenshot or sample video of the embedded timecode you're pertaining to for further checking? We will wait for your response.

See, in this case I just quickly opened a footage in QuickTime player. It shows the timecode starts at 14:34:36;22. Different footage starts at different timecode offsets, never at 00:00:00;00 and I was wondering why it is.

You can also see it in QuickTime player Info window that there's a separate timecode track for each video footage coming from Action 3.

2022-11-16
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

I make one short movie and the timecode starts, say, at 14:34:36;22. About 2 minutes later I make another short video, and it's timecode starts at, say 16:23:43;01 or some other arbitrary number. I am not sure where these timecode numbers are coming from or what determines the starting time - since it's obviously not zero. And no, it has nothing to do with the actual time (as in time of day) because that's different.
2022-11-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

osmonauta Posted at 11-16 20:16
I make one short movie and the timecode starts, say, at 14:34:36;22. About 2 minutes later I make another short video, and it's timecode starts at, say 16:23:43;01 or some other arbitrary number. I am not sure where these timecode numbers are coming from or what determines the starting time - since it's obviously not zero. And no, it has nothing to do with the actual time (as in time of day) because that's different.

Hi, osmonauta. Thank you for the screenshot. Upon checking the screenshot you provided, we are sorry to let you know that we haven't launched the timecode function yet. The time information you see through different players may be inaccurate, it is not recommended to take it as a reference. Meanwhile, your feedback regarding this issue has been recorded and forwarded to our relevant team for further review. Thank you for your attention and kind understanding.
2022-11-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules