3657 18 2022-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

I have Osmo Pocket now 4 years old. Battery lasts about 10 minutes. I did not find batteries for DYI replacement.

DJI told me to send my Osmo Pocket to the DJI Service. But, posting costs 50 EUROS and I dont know how much repair is going to be + Postage Back here. DJI needs to "look at it" to give Battery replacement price. It can easily cost over 100 euros. Here Pocket 1 is sold as new like 199 euros at the moment. What is the point to send it to the Service?

DJI. What we do with these extremely uneconomical electronic waste? Are all these Pockets going to be send to the sand in Africa?

We spend like 500 euros for Pockets and what then after 2-3 years? My Pocket 1 is in excelent condition but Battery is very poor now. What planet earth thinks if all Pockets you have sold are going to be sent to your Repair Center? What was you thinking?

Mobilephones I someway understand. You can give old phone when buying a new phone in the store. But you cant give anywhere these Pockets. So I have over 500 euros electric waste because a small thing called Battery. Do we really need to throw fully working device to the electronics recycling because the battery? Even smartphones are still problem because the battery. Over 60% of smartphone failures comes from battery. But this is not the topic of this now.

What is your responsibility of these devices? These can easily last 5-10 years when correctly used. But it is limited by battery to 2-3 years or even less.

Are these things dangerous when left in the cabinet? Every manual says remove the battery when not used for SAFETY reasons. Can these explode and cause fire because we cant recycle battery?

In the middle of energy crisis and shortage of raw materials.

Don't give us automatic reply. We need some clear statement how to manage with these products. Everyone with these Pocket 1 and 2 devices are struggling with the same thing.

2022-11-16
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Just that you know, modern electronics are made with a limited lifespan. Most people don't care or notice, they are happy to toss it aside and pick up the latest greatest.
BTW

I purchased my Pocket in early 2019. It's still working fine. I guess that makes it "everyone" minus 1.

I'm actually waiting for it to screw up so I can rationalize to my wife a need to upgrade!

2022-11-16
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, there.
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.
We will check the problem you mentioned and reply to you asap.
Thank you.
2022-11-16
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-16 17:23
Hi, there.
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.
We will check the problem you mentioned and reply to you asap.

The OP has checked the solution and has found it too costly.

Now, it's just a bit of a rant.
2022-11-16
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

Curt1591 Posted at 11-16 14:21
Just that you know, modern electronics are made with a limited lifespan. Most people don't care or notice, they are happy to toss it aside and pick up the latest greatest.
BTW

Please don't. Been working 20-30 years in the IT business. This is not the topic.

These Pocket camcorders have fixed firmware. Their lifespan is much longer than smartphone with security updates and operating systems that are required in the internet.

I have a lot of cameras. I use 3-6 cameras still depending of the situation. Often at the same time. Pocket series are actually first device problem with this. Every other video and still camera has removable battery.

Even kids toys we can remove alkaline batteries using screwdriver. For SAFETY purposes.

When buying something new it does not mean you always throw earlier away. We use them both or even 3 at the same time. We don't trash the whole house when front door needs repairing.

Pocket image quality is more than enough for all kind of use. We can anyway use external recorders for sound. The image and stabilization is still there after 5-10 years. Many users are using 1080 because that is a lot in many situations. This is not professional device but even them are using these for b-cams and lecturers or repairers can use it for many purposes as second camera or recording the job.

I think popularity of this device came a bit of surprise for DJI. It was their left hand project in first place because of drones.

This camera would be a lot more popular if battery could be replaced. For DJI it could still sell the Safe plans, accessories and other things to sell. It has nothing to do with money. And sell even batteries.
2022-11-16
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Is that 20 or 30 years?
2022-11-17
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

Curt1591 Posted at 11-17 14:27
Is that 20 or 30 years?

Depends how you want to calculate it but thats not the topic.
2022-11-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Update:
Sorry for the long waiting.
Hope the following tips can help you more with your problem:
DJI Pocket 2 battery is a lithium-ion battery. In order to maintain the activity of the battery and prolong the service life of the battery, it is recommended to charge the battery to 40% - 65% when not in use for more than 10 days and place it in a dry and cool place Store (22°C - 28°C is best), check the battery every three months and perform at least one complete charge and discharge. And when we store it, we should keep it in a waterproof and moisture-proof place

And for more details, you can also check this link:
https://support.dji.com/help/con ... Id=34&re=us&lang=en

We have also forwarded your feedback to the relevant team and will see how we can do better. Thank you for your feedback again.

If there is anything else that we can do, please feel free to let us know.
2022-11-18
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

The battery and ecology question is a very good and important one. Even if most electronics are with a limited lifespan, it still doesn't mean they should be designed as just another thing to throw away after a couple of years have passed. Our planet is not desgned to be a huge junkyard of scrapped items. DJI certainly isn't the only one being guilty of this, but the Pocket cameras certainly would have benefitted from the user-replaceable battery.

I think the smartphone trend is a step backwards when considering the ecological and user-friendliness aspects of the battery question. And not only is it troublesome, expensive and unecological if you need to send it elsewhere to replace the battery of trash it altogether, it is that way too often these things contain proprietary batteries, which means once the company decides to stop manufacturing them, your chances of getting a proper replacement are something between slim and nill.

Hoping the Pocket 3 will take the step into the right direction in this subject.
2022-11-19
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

"Hoping the Pocket 3 will take the step into the right direction in this subject."

The Osmo Mobile has gone from a replaceable battery to an internal fixed.

Off-topic, but funny just the same, you want consumer replaceable ... !?!

2022-11-19
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Curt1591 Posted at 11-19 14:53
"Hoping the Pocket 3 will take the step into the right direction in this subject."

The Osmo Mobile has gone from a replaceable battery to an internal fixed.

That is a trend for many manufacturers, has been for a long time. Whether that is a good or a bad thing is debatable.

As for the clip, I do see your point, and it is kinda funny :-D It sure is true that using standard batteries is not always an option, even on smaller devices. And having a rechargeable battery instead of a one-time-use one is definetely better when talking about the longevity on just the battery scale.

However, I still consider having a user-replaceable proprietary rechargeable battery instead of a just a built-in, trash-the-whole-otherwise-usable-item-when-only-the-battery-is-out is way more ecological and user-friendly. Seeing the state of nature as it is now, I think most can agree that we can't afford making more disposable stuff instead of replaceable ones.
2022-11-19
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Unfortunately, "space" is a problem in many devices.

On a similar note, Apple is finally changing over to USB-C on its portables due to mandates. If only a universal smartphone battery was feasible.
2022-11-19
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Curt1591 Posted at 11-19 16:01
Unfortunately, "space" is a problem in many devices.

On a similar note, Apple is finally changing over to USB-C on its portables due to mandates. If only a universal smartphone battery was feasible.

That is true on many devices, I admit it. For the size of Osmo Pocket cameras, I do not believe that the size would become so much bigger it wouldn't be pocketable anymore. Actually, I think that The Pocket 2 is almost too small without the DIA Handle. But in the same case, it could be that AA/AAA batteries would not have enough power for them. Though I don't see much reason why they couldn't pull off an replaceable battery (though I'll have to admit I'm not an engineer and might not see all the issues that should be considered).

As for the universal smartphone battery, there once was an interesting approach to powering up a phone. You can read about it at https://www.cnet.com/reviews/spareone-plus-preview/ . While clearly not a replacement for a smartphone, it does offer an interesting insight in the approach and certainly would do it's job in emergency situations, just the way it was designed. Maybe if they went far enough with research, they could have implemented some more intrigueing ideas to the mix. But oh well, guess it didn't take off as the phones are no more manufactured...
2022-11-21
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

You could try to sell it for like €50 and mention it only last 10 minutes, or you can get some to change out the battery that know how electronics works.

2022-11-21
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

johansenfoto Posted at 11-21 13:44
You could try to sell it for like €50 and mention it only last 10 minutes, or you can get some to change out the battery that know how electronics works.

Thanks. I know how electronics works and I can easily change it by myself. The problem is that cheapest battery is over 100 euros found from market. DJI has its own line to get these batteries. Pocket 1 and 2 uses the same battery. It is small under 900mah 7,7V small battery that should cost 10 EUR.

When calculating: Pocket around 350-530 EUR, accessories around 500 EUR. If you change Pocket every 2 year it is 1000 - 1500 and 2000 EUR with accessories in 6 years. Sony AX53 came 2015 and that is still sold as new. It is now 7 years "old" but still incredible image 4k quality. So in 6 years if you always buy a new Pocket because of battery you could afford one 1500-2000 EUR camera that lasts 10 years and is build for PRO. The whole Pockets ecosystem does not make any sense. It is a video camera. Pocket 1 has insane 4k 100mb image quality even after 6 years.

The point is. Camera is cheap and we could use three of them at the same time. The another question is. Is that Pocket 2 for 530 EUR worth to pay if it lasts only 2 years or less when used often? It might feel cheap but it is actually very expensive. I bought my AX53 7 years ago. It still gets new batteries. Even the camera itself is sold today as new and it is still manufactured. And 7 years ago that costed me something like 600-700 don't even remember. It is 100 EUR per year by now.

I started this threat because we cant get even third party batteries for Pockets. Using custom self made cells for these makes even less sense. The Pocket ecosystem is terrible from the end side. The device itself is wonderful but its ecosystem is catastrophic.

Also out of the topic it will hit more than hard when people realize in the end that planet is used out of raw materials. Like it is started to happen right now.
2022-11-22
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

You do realize that DJI is a Chinese company?
2022-11-22
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

Curt1591 Posted at 11-22 01:50
You do realize that DJI is a Chinese company?

Yes for 10000%. Every Time I buy something I try to avoid MIC products.
2022-11-22
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Aavalaakso Posted at 11-22 03:52
Yes for 10000%. Every Time I buy something I try to avoid MIC products.

Good luck with that!
2022-11-22
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

Curt1591 Posted at 11-22 13:51
Good luck with that!

It is a hobby
2022-11-22