Please add option to not record LRF files
4037 20 2022-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

I've seen this post in Osmo Pocket 2 forum from last year (2021) where ppl would like an option to not have LRF files written to the card.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-233111-1-1.html

I think this would be a great option. I don't use the Mimo app except to download new FW updates. It is not even on my phone. I have an old phone I no longer use and that's where I put the Mimo app, so it won't even clutter my current phone. I understand LRF files are used by the Mimo app, and it also can be used as proxies in, say, DaVinci Resolve (albeit you have to rename the files first, anyway).

So an option under Settings would be helpful. Some people love the Mimo app and can't live without it, so they can opt-in for the LRF files. And those who don't need it, they will be happy, too.

Thanks!
2022-11-16
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for your feedback. I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. Rest assured that we are doing our best to gather customers' inquiries and work on solutions to provide the best customer service to our consumers. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-11-16
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Makes perfect sense.
2022-11-17
Use props
deztiny
lvl.1
Germany

It would be a really great feature if it would be possible to simply switch off the LRF files via the cameras option menu for people who are not using playback on the camera or transfer to cellphone/tablet. Like me, I am recording long session and then copy them to my PC to edit them and then delete the original files.
There are two big advantages when deactivating LRF files:
1. more usable storage on the microSD card
2. battery lasts longer meaning longer recording time! low resolution LRF a) have to be computed/generated b) have to be written to microSD card simultaniously. My guess regardig recording time with one battery would be an increase of about 20 to 25%? Thats would be really a lot! And it would even be for "free" for people who (as described above) simply don't need the LRF files.
So I guess for a lot of users that would be an awesome feature! Not just a "nice to have" and some "anoyment having to delete files". The files really cost storage and especially a lot of recording time.
2023-3-9
Use props
djiuser_g165iplNTgs2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 164652 ft
United States

I have no use for them and always wondered why i couldnt turn them off like the subtitle track option to turn on or off.. really fills up my memory card fast for no reason and it never even works well on the app so its really pointless for me. I will screen record my iphone to film a flight on my phone which is very rare and bc the fly app always seem to go to a gray screen after awhile of live view with the iphone screen recording turned on.
I basically always just take out the micro sd and put in my computer and transfer it over. But then i have to go in and delete all the .LRF Files off my computer and the sd card if im keeping the video on it..
Please just add the option to turn this on or off. Thats it.. Only a select amount of people even use or even know of this feature.

Thanks
2023-6-24
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

Agree Either  allow the consumer like Sony to set up Proxies or  have a firmware   offered  sooner then latter
2023-6-25
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

I think the LRF files are also used for playback on the camera itself. Maybe making them invisible on the card would be helpful (by adding a period in front of the name) so ppl won’t have to keep selecting them when they want to copy the media to their drive, Whatever…
2023-6-25
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

They should been in their own folder.
2023-6-26
Use props
deztiny
lvl.1
Germany

Hiding the files or putting them in an own folder still a) uses data on microSD b) is wasting a lot of battery time (for computing and writing them simulaniously)  for nothing (except the hassle of having to delet them).
So please please simply make an option in settings to just not create them!
2023-8-2
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

deztiny Posted at 8-2 08:13
Hiding the files or putting them in an own folder still a) uses data on microSD b) is wasting a lot of battery time (for computing and writing them simulaniously)  for nothing (except the hassle of having to delet them).
So please please simply make an option in settings to just not create them!

I think they are used for in-camera previews and possibly in the app, too. So no, it's not gonna happen.
2023-8-2
Use props
deztiny
lvl.1
Germany

osmonauta Posted at 8-2 09:31
I think they are used for in-camera previews and possibly in the app, too. So no, it's not gonna happen.

Its clear why they are created:
1. for previewing on the recording device itself
2. for transfering them to devices like smartphone or tablet.
3. for faster editing start on computers (windows/mac) (otherwise this low res stream has to be computed first)

Thats exactly why we are NOT asking to completly remufe LRF files but we are "only" asking for on option, a switch so that every customer is able to decide if he wants to safe a) storage capacity + b) battery + c) heating of the device if not needing any of those three use cases stated above!
2023-9-26
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

can be  a switch but they chose to control LRV
2023-9-26
Use props
Gribblenator
New
United States

Why is this not a feature yet?  This isn't some tiny little issue.  The device is creating large amounts of non-critical meta data that many, if not most users, could do without.

I'm a software engineer who's worked on everything from embedded systems, to frontend development AND design, to highly scaleable systems, so I understand how much effort it would take to add this feature.  I am reading the user sentiment, seeing the dates (which gives me a good idea of how long Dji has known about this highly valuable to consumer feature, yet ignored it), and have seen how long ago this has come up in many other posts across many other discussion boards, groups, and forums. I know this is a feature you could give to a junior developer, and a mid to senior level developer who is proficient developing with the UI could have it a workng demo before lunch, after standup.
2023-12-10
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

All they need to do is  select the switch off of Proxy they don't. most likly they got rid of the person who developed
2023-12-10
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

Gribblenator Posted at 12-10 02:04
Why is this not a feature yet?  This isn't some tiny little issue.  The device is creating large amounts of non-critical meta data that many, if not most users, could do without.

I'm a software engineer who's worked on everything from embedded systems, to frontend development AND design, to highly scaleable systems, so I understand how much effort it would take to add this feature.  I am reading the user sentiment, seeing the dates (which gives me a good idea of how long Dji has known about this highly valuable to consumer feature, yet ignored it), and have seen how long ago this has come up in many other posts across many other discussion boards, groups, and forums. I know this is a feature you could give to a junior developer, and a mid to senior level developer who is proficient developing with the UI could have it a workng demo before lunch, after standup.

Then people will start complaining that they neither can see the thumbnail of the video in the camera nor play it back. You wil see a bunch of blank thumbnails. Once the LRF is off, you can't bring it back. So you  won't be able to do editing in Mimo either.
2023-12-10
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

Both Action 3 & 4 will not be updated to remove the LRF, by DJI, they can hide the filles, they are not needed to be seen or dumped aong with the .MP4, or .MOV  containers.  The older model, and other companies did the same, they  unhide the  files.  As in the Mobile side of things, its faster work on shadowfiles. proxies, lrv, lrf  and that  nothing we can do about.  Possible the App struggles to get off the LRF when hidden

what  can be used for  the files

and how much space is being wasted, 25% of the sd card?
2023-12-11
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

LRF can be  handled ,

1 option a switch to turn off, the app will not work.

2 option to hide when the camera is plugged in can not see the lrf but  space is still used

3. only visable when sd card is pulled out of camera to  computer,

Problem solved

think gopro finally did this on the hero 12  hid hte file only till sd is pulled, the hero 12
2023-12-17
Use props
Peter-McC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 69485 ft
United Kingdom

deztiny Posted at 2023-3-9 01:26
It would be a really great feature if it would be possible to simply switch off the LRF files via the cameras option menu for people who are not using playback on the camera or transfer to cellphone/tablet. Like me, I am recording long session and then copy them to my PC to edit them and then delete the original files.
There are two big advantages when deactivating LRF files:
1. more usable storage on the microSD card

What would make you think there would be a 20 to 25% saving. I think that it would be negligible as the battery is used to power the drone motors and the amount needed for the software would be tiny. If we split up the chip resources the main part would be controlling flight, navigation and transmitting to the controller. Calculating and writing LRF files would be almost infinitesimal.

The only downside is the space taken up on the SD card. It's not hard to select only MP4 when copying to PC. If DJI remove them then it creates problems for those who want to use various apps etc. We can't have a situation where DJI have to cater for everyone who doesn't want a specific file in their system.

In my opinion this request is misguided.
2-14 03:19
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 2023-12-11 04:30
Both Action 3 & 4 will not be updated to remove the LRF, by DJI, they can hide the filles, they are not needed to be seen or dumped aong with the .MP4, or .MOV  containers.  The older model, and other companies did the same, they  unhide the  files.  As in the Mobile side of things, its faster work on shadowfiles. proxies, lrv, lrf  and that  nothing we can do about.  Possible the App struggles to get off the LRF when hidden

what  can be used for  the files

I just did  30s video in 1080 and it works at about  37% so it is actually more than i expected it to be by a decent margin, one needs to account for this amount when buying SD cards
2-14 04:14
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 2-14 04:14
I just did  30s video in 1080 and it works at about  37% so it is actually more than i expected it to be by a decent margin, one needs to account for this amount when buying SD cards

great to hear  (seri hear not heat)
2-14 04:20
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

I virtually always use 1080p and the files are segmented around 3.8GB for roughly 15 minutes (between 15:10 - 15:25 to be more specific).

So if 15 minutes gives you 3.8GB, on a full charge you get about 150 minutes which comes out to be around 38GB. Bashy's calculation is right, the LRF file is around 34-37%. That would make the total size or LRF files around 14GB (give or take).

So on a full charge, 1080p recording would consume around 52GB storage. The 14GB which is used for the LRF would amount to about an extra hour of storage for 1080p.

Whether this is good or bad, I dunno. I do bike recordings and for my 64GB card recording 2.5 hours in one go in 1080p is more than sufficient. I think it could be more of a concern if you record in 2.7k or 4k, in which case you can get a 256 or 512G card (or two) and off you go.
2-14 08:06
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules