Can this be done in auto
1720 12 2022-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Next summer I have been asked to take low level video of a racing yacht as it sails along.
I was told that it can be done in one of the auto modes. I have only ever used POV and I can't see how that can track and circle a moving craft.
I have never used tracking mode, but this may be the one to use. Can anyone confirm it will allow me to not only track the boat but circle it at the same time. I will need to get in very close at the sides and pull back to maintain distance from the boat as it rounds the pointy end and the arse end.
Remember, this is the original Mavic Pro.
Thanks.
2022-11-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Check out the spotlight feature -
2022-11-19
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

How fast will the racing yacht be going? Can your drone keep up? That may be the limiting factor as to what you can use,
2022-11-19
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Guernsey

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-19 06:31
You can use ActiveTrack to circle the boat as it moves along.  How well it works depends on how fast the yacht is moving.  You are not going to want to be so close that you have to pull in and out as you traverse the bow, stern, and sides.  You'll want to keep sufficient distance so the drone can maintain a smooth, equidistant, orbit around the boat.  I don't know how big the yacht is but I would want at least 100' of separation, enough so the entire boat remains comfortably in the field of view for the entire orbit.

Keep altitude in mind.  If you fly low and lose contact in front of the boat, the drone will stop and possibly be struck by the boat or mast.

Thanks DirtyBird, Food for thought.
I doubt the boat will be going fast, because I don't fly if the wind is above 12 mph, as a general rule. Even at this speed, depending on wind direction and terrain, the speed can practically double as it passes over the headland.
I had a flag raising over a fort to record for BBC, during the Jubilee, Whilst I was waiting, I flew out over the bay for some stills, to pass the time. It was a shock to see the drone was going full power on return but not actually moving. I just dropped below the turbulent layer and used the headland as a shelter.
Back to the problem. I plan to control the flight either from that same fort which is some 60 metres above sea level at that point and in clear view as they (hopefully) pass by, below. Else from the breakwater where the harbour will be calm, sheltered and add interest to the background.
Distance away from the craft will, I think be in the order of 100 to 150 feet as you suggest when circling around. I plan to get a bit closer in to capture the crew waving and doing crew things in separate scenes.
All this is in my head, of course. You point about losing contact is a particularly valid on, because I had such a break this morning. Most odd because I was only about 500 metres away and with clear air between me and drone. Never had that happen since I bought it in 2017-2018. I had to restart the controller to reconnect. OK, in this case, the drone was by now heading home, but you are so right in pointing out that issue. I won't travel in front of the boat now at low altitude. Why be smart and get caught out. Not worth it.
Haven't seen your recent drone adventures for a long time. Last one was the group flight out to a bridge and back. I admit, I did wonder if everyone was going to make it back. Brilliant Vid.
2022-11-19
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Guernsey

DAFlys Posted at 11-19 07:15
Check out the spotlight feature - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M1NVaHwNi0

Thank you for that. Will consider what you say.
2022-11-19
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Guernsey

Mobilehomer Posted at 11-19 08:39
How fast will the racing yacht be going? Can your drone keep up? That may be the limiting factor as to what you can use,

As answered in reply to Dirty Bird, a valid point and one to be aware of. Tanks.
2022-11-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think active track on M1 might struggle, but it’s probably your best option unless you want to fly manually and to do this you probably need to be on the boat or a boat tracing.

2022-11-19
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Guernsey

hallmark007 Posted at 11-19 09:22
I think active track on M1 might struggle, but it’s probably your best option unless you want to fly manually and to do this you probably need to be on the boat or a boat tracing.

https://youtu.be/6FlygOpeEU0

Thank you Hallmatk for the video and comment.
My only experience of this sort of boat filming is this.   https://youtu.be/WYvNYQXH1gU
I hope to build on it.
2022-11-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

AlansDronePics Posted at 11-19 10:27
Thank you Hallmatk for the video and comment.
My only experience of this sort of boat filming is this.   https://youtu.be/WYvNYQXH1gU
I hope to build on it.

I’m sure you’ll figure it out, nice video.
2022-11-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, AlansDronePics. Thank you for reaching out. As mentioned in the comments above, you may use ActiveTrack and circle around your subject. There are three functions in ActiveTrack which are Trace, Spotlight, and Profile. With Profile, you can maneuver the control stick of the remote controller to circle your subject. Moreover, the maximum speed in ActiveTrack for Mavic Pro is 54km/h which can be changed through the speed slider. For more information about ActiveTrack, you may refer to the User Manual (page 19) through this link: {chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/Mavic%20Pro%20User%20Manual%20V2.0-.pdf}.  Should you have any concerns or inquiries, please do not hesitate to reach us here at DJI Forum. Thank you for your continued support.
2022-11-19
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Guernsey

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-20 04:23
Thank you.  Still pondering on your question about which ActiveTrack mode to choose for best results.  A Mavic Pro uses the original "Point of Interest" model where you have to actually hover above & set the point.  It is designed for a stationary object so that mode is out.

ActiveTrack Spotlight Mode holds the drone at a fixed point while panning to keep the target centered in the camera FOV.  That would be useful if you only want to catch the boat as it passes by, but I don't think that's what you envision for your video.

I seem to recall Active Track issues mentioned on the forum with this model of drone and kind of expected all sorts of tales of hard won experience in answer to this post. However, a big white object, close up in a sea of - er - sea coloured sea should help the software to stay locked on to the target. All the posts I recall on the forum when Active Track was new, concerned people on bikes or the occasional vehicle in a car park. I have never seen it used to follow and navigate around a boat.
Is there a reason for that? Most likely such videos were just about the scene and not how it was done.
I have done some no frills flights around anchored ships using manual control and my last one was quite smooth.    I couldn't manage to do the same when the boat is moving though.
It looks like I will have to lay in wait for a passing car and stalk it for practice, then progress to unsuspecting yachts in the harbour. I will be able to test Active track when the better weather comes along.
Thanks again for your help.
2022-11-20
Use props
ro_walker
Second Officer
Brazil

You can use ActiveTrack to circle the boat as it moves along.
2022-12-14
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Guernsey

Active track is the way, I am told. To cold to venture out for a few months, so I have time to practice after hibernation.
Thanks for your reply.
2022-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules