Buying used drone
8043 17 2022-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paul1966
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Looking at getting a used Mini 2 and just wondering is there anything specific I should check and look for when buying a used one, is it a case of if it takes off and hovers it should be ok?
2022-11-21
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Make absolutely certain it has been removed from the previous owner's account. He MUST remove it, DJI aon't and no one else can.
2022-11-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What Mobilehomer means is that all the special bindings, between the drone and the previous owner's DJI account AND between the controller and the drone have been undone.
These bindings are associated with the previous owner having Flyaway insurance cover on the drone. They are NOT the linking that is used for control purposes.
2022-11-21
Use props
Paul1966
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Ok thanks, so is there any way I can check this has been done or do I take their word for it. If they are saying they can demonstrate the drone flying then at that time they must have it registered to them still, so i guess after that they deregister it, is that done through the  DJI account?
2022-11-21
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

IF you are buying face - to - face, watch him remove the drone from his account. If you already have an account, activate it to yours. If you can't, I would walk.
2022-11-21
Use props
Paul1966
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Ok I have downloaded the fly app to my phone so i assume if i can register the drone to my app i am good to go.
2022-11-21
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Paul1966 Posted at 11-21 12:25
Ok I have downloaded the fly app to my phone so i assume if i can register the drone to my app i am good to go.

Yep you should be good to go. And if you decide to not buy, unbind while he's watching and delete Fly, just to satisfy him.
2022-11-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You do not have to "register" or  "activate" the drone in anyway in connection with the app, unless the drone is an unused replacement, in which case you will have to activate it. If it is a used drone all that you have to do is log in to the app, preferably at YOUR home etc., and then connect the App/phone to the controller. DO NOT log out of the App unnecessarily, it's a pain in the derrier if you forget you have logged out and end up wnating to log in where there is no connection to the internet.
If you are buying face to face then, before you hand over any cash, use your own phone and app and check that there are no bindings showing in the app as well as, if possible, checking/watching the seller's app etc.for the same thing. I think you check binding under''device management'' which can be found in the profile section on the front page of the app.

I suspect that you would not have to start the motors to do that so I don't think a seller would object to you using your phone etc..
If it's a remote sale/purchase then, and via ebay messages NOT email,  ask the seller if the drone has been unbound from the seller's account and if the controller has ALSO been unbound from the drone. KEEP those messages, they form part of the description of the drone. If the controller remains bound to the drone then I believe you can not use another controller with the drone or are limited to 5 flights with the alternative controller.

I do not think you can bind the app/drone/controller in the way the original owner MAY HAVE ( it isnt a prerequisite that they have, none of my mini 2's are bound ) unless you yourself buy Flyaway cover and you may not be able buy Flyaway cover if teh drone was bound to the original owner's account. For a 2nd hand Mini 2 I doubt the flyaway insurance is worth it.

It might be worth asking DJI if, if the drone was covered by CARE REFRESH & flyaway insurance, does the CARE REFRESH portion of the insurance transfer to you as the new owner.
2022-11-21
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there, Paul1966. Thank you for reaching out. Both Mobilehomer and Sean-Bumble-Bee are correct. When buying second-hand drones, you need to make sure that it has been removed from the previous owner's account. To help you check, you may share with us the serial number of the drone and we can verify it. Additionally, in case it has a Care Refresh plan, please note that it comes with the serial number of the drone and not the account. That means that you have the privilege to use it, considering it has an active plan. Should you have any concerns or inquiries, please do not hesitate to reach us here at DJI Forum. Thank you for your continued support.
2022-11-21
Use props
XxGiGoBaiTxX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42395 ft
United States

I bought a DJI Mini 2 SE off Amazon and it was bound to another account, the person did not remove it before returning back to Amazon. I was about to return it, but then contacted DJI via chat. I gave them my proof of purchase, pix of the serial on the box. and drone, and they said they will unbind it. They make you upload pix and pdf from Amazon right there while in chat, then you copy paste a statement saying you physically lawfully poses the device and now i have to wait 1-3 days! Couldn't be any simpler!
This is for ppl worried about buying used drones off Amazon and etc.
2023-12-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

XxGiGoBaiTxX Posted at 12-4 09:02
I bought a DJI Mini 2 SE off Amazon and it was bound to another account, the person did not remove it before returning back to Amazon. I was about to return it, but then contacted DJI via chat. I gave them my proof of purchase, pix of the serial on the box. and drone, and they said they will unbind it. They make you upload pix and pdf from Amazon right there while in chat, then you copy paste a statement saying you physically lawfully poses the device and now i have to wait 1-3 days! Couldn't be any simpler!

You do not mention whether or not the drone has been unbound.
2023-12-4
Use props
Snoopy70
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4762470 ft
Canada

I would also check if the batteries are swollen. And see how many charging cycles it’s been through, in case that affects your price.
2023-12-4
Use props
Hina Arman
New

Pakistan

I want to buy used DJI mini 2
2023-12-29
Use props
djiuser_iCgBWLbM43aa
New

Canada

Hey guys . Looking to buy a used mini3 and going to look at it tomorrow.  Would appreciate some assistance while I'm there
2023-12-29
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

djiuser_iCgBWLbM43aa Posted at 12-29 17:29
Hey guys . Looking to buy a used mini3 and going to look at it tomorrow.  Would appreciate some assistance while I'm there

Just go back to the top of this thread and read it again...

It is all there...
2023-12-29
Use props
djiuser_nxspQ0kE6QKI
lvl.1

United Kingdom

XxGiGoBaiTxX Posted at 2023-12-4 09:02
I bought a DJI Mini 2 SE off Amazon and it was bound to another account, the person did not remove it before returning back to Amazon. I was about to return it, but then contacted DJI via chat. I gave them my proof of purchase, pix of the serial on the box. and drone, and they said they will unbind it. They make you upload pix and pdf from Amazon right there while in chat, then you copy paste a statement saying you physically lawfully poses the device and now i have to wait 1-3 days! Couldn't be any simpler!
Hi, do you have any contact details you used? I have just bought a used mini 2 from cex and bound to previous owner. Many thanks
3-1 14:37
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_nxspQ0kE6QKI Posted at 3-1 14:37
Hi, do you have any contact details you used? I have just bought a used mini 2 from cex and bound to previous owner. Many thanks

Hello there. You can refer to the DJI Support page at https://www.dji.com/global/support, scroll down, and see the "Contact Us' section. Have a great day.
3-1 21:40
Use props
DJIDronePete
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14360 ft
United Kingdom

Not sure if the mini 2 is available, but have a look at DJI refurbished - I bought a mini 3 pro and it wasn't that much more than typical Ebay sold prices and came with a two year warranty. I was originally goingn to buy second hand off Ebay.
3-2 08:46
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules