Bright Spot When Taking Sunset Photos
866 22 2022-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlashNY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 391709 ft
Australia

I took a few sunset photos today and noticed a bright spot on the lens. It isn't a constant location. I don't see any obvious dirt on the lens. Am I doing something wrong...or should I expect these sorts of artifacts when taking sunset photos? Or is this dirt on the lens? These are output from processing of AEB photos...but the original photos show the bright spot too.
2022-11-22
Use props
FlashNY
lvl.4
Australia

2022-11-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The green spot is just the way the lens flare is with this lens.
If you don't like it, don't have the camera stare at the sun or paint it out in Photoshop.
2022-11-22
Use props
FlashNY
lvl.4
Australia

2022-11-22
Use props
FlashNY
lvl.4
Australia

Labroides Posted at 11-22 02:24
The green spot is just the way the lens flare is with this lens.
If you don't like it, don't have the camera stare at the sun or paint it out in Photoshop.

To make sure I am understanding you - are you saying this lens flare is unavoidable for these types of shots?
2022-11-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

FlashNY Posted at 11-22 02:34
To make sure I am understanding you - are you saying this lens flare is unavoidable for these types of shots?

That's right.
Different lenses have different flare pattern and the green dot is characteristic of the Mavic 3 lens when it's looking straight at the sun.
2022-11-22
Use props
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United Kingdom

An easy way to fix the problem, is take one photo with your thumb blocking the Sun and another regular photo.
Then blend them in Photoshop.
You just need to carry a very long ladder with you ;-)
2022-11-22
Use props
FlashNY
lvl.4
Australia

MS Posted at 11-22 03:50
An easy way to fix the problem, is take one photo with your thumb blocking the Sun and another regular photo.
Then blend them in Photoshop.
You just need to carry a very long ladder with you ;-)

Hmmm. Probably means I have to buy Photoshop first...
Anyway, thanks for the response!
2022-11-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, FlashNY. Thank you for reaching out. The spot seems to be a glare like what other DJI Pilots mentioned. Here are some recommendations to avoid camera lens glare:
1. Use a lens hood: If bright light is just on the side of the affected area, a lens hood can effectively eliminate the glare. However, the lens hood will not work if the bright light is located solely at the front.
2. Adjust the lens orientation: Find a shooting direction that can eliminate the glare. In many cases, the glare at some points can be eliminated by a slight deviation of the light source direction.
3. Block the light source: Block the light source direction with a hand, cap, or paperboard at a position at the front of the lens. In addition, ensure that the blocking object is high enough, which is equivalent to an extended lens hood.

For aircraft, try the steps below:
1. Use a microfiber cloth (such as a glasses cloth) to wipe the lens (rough wiping may damage the coating film).
2. Adjust the shooting angle, and avoid facing toward strong light sources.
3. Add an ND filter.

Thank you for your understanding and valued support.
2022-11-22
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Its lens flare and unavoidable at certain angles as its a basic property of physics (and lens coatings).
Only option is remove in post, live with it or photoshop it out.  Or change angle.

It can be worse if the lens is dirty.  An ND filter will do absolutely nothing (and may well make it worse adding another layer of glass to cause even more reflection).
2022-11-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

This is exactly what is going on with your videos and photos.

2022-11-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

FlashNY Posted at 11-22 04:02
Hmmm. Probably means I have to buy Photoshop first...
Anyway, thanks for the response!

Most software including free software will remove this.
2022-11-22
Use props
ArcticPhoto
Second Officer
Norway

hallmark007 Posted at 11-22 05:13
This is exactly what is going on with your videos and photos.

https://youtu.be/KQBC2yFDkd8

Ian in London is talking about Heiligenschein, which is not the same as the green lens flare dot the OP is asking about.
2022-11-22
Use props
FlashNY
lvl.4
Australia

OK, I see the lens flare in videos too. Ugh
2022-11-22
Use props
ArcticPhoto
Second Officer
Norway

FlashNY Posted at 11-22 05:39
OK, I see the lens flare in videos too. Ugh

Even expensive lenses from Nikon, Canon and all the others will show lens flare in certain situations. Especially on wide angle lenses.  It may look a little different depending on the lens construction and coating on the front glass. A lens shade will help to some extent, by preventing the sun to directly hit the lens. Many photographers also hold their hand over the top of the lens to cast a shadow.
2022-11-22
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Not going to be useful finding a shade on a sensor and lens that wide and that tiny though.

Canon, Nikon etc spent a fortune on expensive anti reflective and flare coasting on their lenses.  It reduces but they still get it.  The DJI glass has none of that as expected on a cheap hobbyist drone.

Just going to have to accept a design limitation here and work around or accept it.
2022-11-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Television cameras that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars also get the green dot and other types of lens flare. You can either live with it or edit it out.
2022-11-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 11-22 05:13
This is exactly what is going on with your videos and photos.

https://youtu.be/KQBC2yFDkd8

Except that it has nothing at all to do with the OP's issue.
You have an appalling record for providing useful or accurate information.
2022-11-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Labroides Posted at 11-22 13:23
Except that it has nothing at all to do with the OP's issue.
You have an appalling record for providing useful or accurate information.

You have an appalling record of being an idiot troll. Get a life…
2022-11-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 11-22 13:45
You have an appalling record of being an idiot troll. Get a life…

You couldn't tell that an issue caused by pointing the camera straight towards the sun is completely different from something that's only seen when the sun is 180° behind the camera?
Classic !!
2022-11-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Labroides Posted at 11-22 17:04
You couldn't tell that an issue caused by pointing the camera straight towards the sun is completely different from something that's only seen when the sun is 180° behind the camera?
Classic !!

I suppose it ranks right up there with the idiots telling everyone that GPS could be sorted on the mavic 3, so much so that idiots were buying it returning it and having to buy it again, “now that’s what I call a classic”  troll on…..
2022-11-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 11-22 18:28
I suppose it ranks right up there with the idiots telling everyone that GPS could be sorted on the mavic 3, so much so that idiots were buying it returning it and having to buy it again, “now that’s what I call a classic”  troll on…..

It's hard to tell what you are babbling about here.
I guess it's just more of your standard incoherent nonsense.
2022-11-22
Use props
FlashNY
lvl.4
Australia

Anyway, thanks for all the responses!
2022-11-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules