Mini 3 pro shaking in cold weather
4189 18 2022-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_Fr3KlXzkpbRW
lvl.2

Lithuania

Hello,

I am trying to frly the drone in -4 degrees celsius, but the gimbas shakes A LOT.

I tried leaving the drone outside for 15 minutes, and then recalibrate the IMU, this maybe helped a tiny bit, but the gimbal still shakes a lot, expecially when braking and when descending.

Is this expected, or could this indicate a bad gimbal? I hade some problems with jello before, when it was warm outside, but the issues seem to be solved with ND filters and applying the 180 degree shutter rule.

The problem i am having right now is deffinitely not jewllo thoug. It almost seems like the gimbal goes crazy for brief moments while trying to compensate for movement of the drone.
2022-11-24
Use props
enricorc_cz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609390 ft
Czechia

Hi,

the operating temperature range is -10° to 40°... Anyway, could it be some condensed moisture on the gimbal arms? Maybe it doesn't move and stabilize well at that low temperature...

It's low temperature here now too, and I'm going to fly this weekend, so I'm curious how it will handle it....
2022-11-24
Use props
djiuser_Fr3KlXzkpbRW
lvl.2

Lithuania

enricorc_cz Posted at 11-24 02:43
Hi,

the operating temperature range is -10° to 40°... Anyway, could it be some condensed moisture on the gimbal arms? Maybe it doesn't move and stabilize well at that low temperature...

Please do update this thread with your findings after your flight!
2022-11-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello, djiuser_Fr3KlXzkpbRW. Thank you for reaching out and we apologize for the inconvenience. Please try the following operation:

1. We recommend using a filter or narrow the lens aperture to increase the exposure time, or lower the degree of moving the control stick to obtain a better view effect.
2. Check whether the gimbal has fallen off from the gimbal buckle. Please perform gimbal and IMU calibration in the DJI Fly app, and check whether there is any error.
3. Please check whether there is any error with the original footage in the microSD card. If not, this issue is caused by poor image transmission signals, such as:
a. Insufficient handling capacity in the mobile device;
b. Strong signal interference.
4. Please try to fly on another flight environment. If the issue persists, you can provide us with a  video for further checking.

Thank you for your kind understanding and valued support.
2022-11-24
Use props
djiuser_Fr3KlXzkpbRW
lvl.2

Lithuania

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-24 03:27
Hello, djiuser_Fr3KlXzkpbRW. Thank you for reaching out and we apologize for the inconvenience. Please try the following operation:

1. We recommend using a filter or narrow the lens aperture to increase the exposure time, or lower the degree of moving the control stick to obtain a better view effect.

Thank you for the response.
You suggestions, however, are very generic, and do not help my case.

As i mentioned before, from the flight footage it is obvious that the gimbal is being  improperly stabilized.
I will try to provide video footage.
2022-11-24
Use props
ROBERTO SMERA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 42619744 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Caught the flu.
2022-11-24
Use props
djiuser_Fr3KlXzkpbRW
lvl.2

Lithuania

Here is a link to a video i made:
2022-11-24
Use props
djiuser_Fr3KlXzkpbRW
lvl.2

Lithuania

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-24 05:49
As temperatures decrease the material comprising the gimbal dampener is likely to lose flexibility.  This may render the camera more susceptible to vibration.  Cold temperatures definitely make the structural plastic more brittle.  The other day while flying low in a park I clipped a tiny tree branch.  It was moving slowly & the Mini 3 fell perhaps 3-4'.  Front left arm snapped off cleanly right at the joint.  The pivot is still solid.  It was about 20° Fahrenheit.  Finally I get to use DJI Care!

This is, of course, true.

But, look at the 0:14 mark in my video, the gimbal turns to the right sharply. I was looking at the drone when it did that, and it was stable, the body of the drone did not tilt to any side, nor did it fight any wind. It seems like the gimbal just decided to sharply turn right for no real reason.
2022-11-24
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did the gimbal shake in a similar flight in warm weather prior to the cold weather?
2022-11-24
Use props
djiuser_Fr3KlXzkpbRW
lvl.2

Lithuania

RobZilla Posted at 11-24 06:39
Did the gimbal shake in a similar flight in warm weather prior to the cold weather?

No, first time i noticed this is in this weather. Before that i flew in around +12C degree weather with no problems. I do have jello with this gimbal, but only if the shutter falls below about 1/200, so i solved this with ND filters.
However, this recent shaking in the cold led me to believe, that maybe something is wrong with the gimbal, which reproduces much more visibly in the cold.
2022-11-24
Use props
Dajuror
lvl.2
Flight distance : 934649 ft
United States

djiuser_Fr3KlXzkpbRW Posted at 11-24 06:47
No, first time i noticed this is in this weather. Before that i flew in around +12C degree weather with no problems. I do have jello with this gimbal, but only if the shutter falls below about 1/200, so i solved this with ND filters.
However, this recent shaking in the cold led me to believe, that maybe something is wrong with the gimbal, which reproduces much more visibly in the cold.

I frequently fly in as cold or colder conditions -17f so far and have noticed that really cold air tends to magnify little things (or at least appears to). You appear to be flying in sport mode when this occurs. I only say that judging by the movement speed, if so I'd kick it down a notch or two (normal/cine) and that should help.
2022-11-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

djiuser_Fr3KlXzkpbRW Posted at 11-24 03:43
Thank you for the response.
You suggestions, however, are very generic, and do not help my case.

Hi, djiuser_Fr3KlXzkpbRW. Thank you for adding the footage. If the issue persists after the steps provided, please consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis.  You may submit an online repair request through this link: {https://repair.dji.com/repair/index}. If you need assistance with creating a ticket, you may contact DJI support at https://www.dji.com/support. We understand that this is not the answer that you look forward to, but this would be the best thing to do in this situation. In addition, warranty service can be claimed depending on the result of the Damage Assessment. Your kind understanding is appreciated and thank you for your continued support.
2022-11-24
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Prop icing can cause instability thus leading to gimbal shake, much the same as a damaged or out of balance prop.

FYI icing can occur between -10C to 4C with a high humidity. Anything below -10C then the air is normally too dry.

Having read a reply of yours referencing 0:14s is that the shaking you're on about? if so then this is normal behaviour when the gimbal is overloaded, sports mode is a contributing factor, that and coupled with wind, and or when using a filter or sudden movements as shown in your video.
2022-11-24
Use props
djiuser_Fr3KlXzkpbRW
lvl.2

Lithuania

Bashy Posted at 11-24 22:34
Prop icing can cause instability thus leading to gimbal shake, much the same as a damaged or out of balance prop.

FYI icing can occur between -10C to 4C with a high humidity. Anything below -10C then the air is normally too dry.

The 0:14 in the video was in normal mode. And let me put it this way:
In the same conditions, but in about 15 degree warmer weather, the gimbal would be dead stable when manouvering the same way i did in the video.
2022-11-25
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

the operating temperature range is -10° to 40°
2022-11-25
Use props
djiuser_Fr3KlXzkpbRW
lvl.2

Lithuania

ro_walker Posted at 11-25 09:32
the operating temperature range is -10° to 40°

yes, yes it is.
2022-11-25
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

2022-11-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_Fr3KlXzkpbRW Posted at 11-25 06:33
The 0:14 in the video was in normal mode. And let me put it this way:
In the same conditions, but in about 15 degree warmer weather, the gimbal would be dead stable when manouvering the same way i did in the video.

My 3rd paragraph is most likely the issue, FWIW, its not the same conditions, its colder. You're flying in -4C, 15C warmer is a big difference.

Heres a bit more on my take, I think you need to send it into DJI, i have a sneaking suspicion it may have taken a tumble at some point, you shouldn't need to use an ND to reduce any Jello effect cause you shouldn't have Jello at all, hence why i think it took a tumble, perhaps a prop is OOB, this, in turn, has made you resort to ND to reduce the jello effect, this, in turn, has led to the wobble, perhaps the extra weight on the gimbal, it happens throughout your posted video, it ranges from hardly noticeable to really bad, the colder air could be putting extra strain on things thus your issue.

Also, if 0:14 is the main issue then you need to edit your 1st post from shake to say "jumps" or @wobble@ as its not shaking and more a jump, and it will be better understood for other members so as to help with better answers.
2022-11-25
Use props
Shady G
New
Canada

Hello All,  Just bought my Air 2s and it flies normal in warm weather and all of a sudden I flew it on a cold day -10 and it started shaking violently when I stop or go. I contacted DJI and they said send it in for a replacement, I truly think its cold weather and I dont want to use my DJI refresh for a problem that isn't a problem really.. the drone flies perfectly in warm temp. DJI employees should really have some sort of understanding of the issue and not just tell people to send it in unless they are sure its a major issue. I researched and researched and tons of people have the same issue and lots of videos on YouTube. I messaged a few of them and some said yes its cold weather and that it flies perfect in warm temps and the others said DJI asked them to send it back and they got a replacement. which kinda sucks coz you lose one of your DJI refresh replacements plus you still pay money I believe for replacements. Anyways I appreciate the customer service of DJI and hoping this problem is known to them by now because a lot of people are experiencing it and they inform their customers about it.  Hopefully this clears out the issue!
2023-1-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules