730 25 2022-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sodo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 105554 ft
United States

Hi folks,
Happy Thanksgiving for those who celebrate it.   Odd question.  I was doing some recording in a large hall for a music  video.  I'd like to set the corners of a bounding box 10' from edge of  stage left to 20' from edge of stage right.  I'd like the Mini 3 Pro to  only fly within those boundaries.

Now, you may  be saying, just use the Active Track to simulate this.  Problem is the  lighting and movement on stage doesn't allow me to focus on one subject  consistently, the Mini 3 Pro keeps losing track.

Any ideas on how to limit the flight range within that bounding box?

'sodo

2022-11-24
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Keep your eye on it. There isn't any way that I know. Have an assistant watch it while you fly. Have some landmarks on stage, speaker  cabinet, curtain edge, exit sign - anything to help.
2022-11-24
Use props
sodo
lvl.1
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 11-24 08:08
Keep your eye on it. There isn't any way that I know. Have an assistant watch it while you fly. Have some landmarks on stage, speaker  cabinet, curtain edge, exit sign - anything to help.

Yeah, that sounds like a good suggestion.  There is a banner above the stage that might work.  This said, I think it would be a pretty cool feature request to be able to set those two points to create a bounding box.  That way, you’d be able to fly back and forth within the box and focus on the composition..with limited need for a spotter.

Thanks Mobilehomer!
‘sodo
2022-11-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best suggestion from our fellow DJI Pilots that already achieved this shooting technique. Should you have any concerns, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-11-24
Use props
sodo
lvl.1
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-24 19:37
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best suggestion from our fellow DJI Pilots that already achieved this shooting technique. Should you have any concerns, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.

Thanks DJI Paladin.
Is there a feedback form somewhere that I can make the suggestion to DJI that they add my aforementioned "bounding box" as a new intelligent flight mode?

'sodo
2022-11-25
Use props
Prairie Chicken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

Wouldn't  you need GPS to do that, which you won't get indoors?
2022-11-25
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

If you have enough GNSS signal then  you can use UGCS, Draw the box on a map, then load it in the client. You will be able to fly manualy and see if it is within the box.
2022-11-25
Use props
sodo
lvl.1
United States

Prairie Chicken Posted at 11-25 08:42
Wouldn't  you need GPS to do that, which you won't get indoors?

Hi Prairie,
I should have mentioned that from this particular venue that I was able to achieve GPS lock indoors.  Which was great, as it gave me more comfort flying indoors for the first time ever.

‘Sodo
2022-11-25
Use props
sodo
lvl.1
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 11-25 08:51
If you have enough GNSS signal then  you can use UGCS, Draw the box on a map, then load it in the client. You will be able to fly manualy and see if it is within the box.

Hi LV_Forestry,
Interesting.  Thanks for that.  But just to confirm, that method would allow me to see the box that I’m flying in, but would not make the drone enforce the perimeter, is that correct?

‘Sodo
2022-11-25
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

sodo Posted at 11-25 09:04
Hi LV_Forestry,
Interesting.  Thanks for that.  But just to confirm, that method would allow me to see the box that I’m flying in, but would not make the drone enforce the perimeter, is that correct?

I think no, the drone will continue since there is no geofencing option. But UGCS is very responsive and could add such fonctionality if possible (not limited by the SDK) and if we request it of course.
2022-11-25
Use props
ro_walker
Second Officer
Brazil

Keep your eye on it. There isn't any way that I know.
2022-11-25
Use props
Prairie Chicken
lvl.4
Canada

sodo Posted at 11-25 08:59
Hi Prairie,
I should have mentioned that from this particular venue that I was able to achieve GPS lock indoors.  Which was great, as it gave me more comfort flying indoors for the first time ever.

What's your secret? We demand to know!!

It sounds like a good idea that could be useful outdoors in some situations as well, but I have no idea if it can be implemented or not.
2022-11-25
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

ro_walker Posted at 11-25 09:30
Keep your eye on it. There isn't any way that I know.

Keeping an eye on it won't change anything. The eye is not able to accurately assess a distance.
2022-11-25
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 11-25 09:47
Keeping an eye on it won't change anything. The eye is not able to accurately assess a distance.

@ro_walker routinely posts replies that are partial quotes of other posts. likely a bot. reported many times over, mods seem not to care.
2022-11-25
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

patiam Posted at 11-25 09:59
@ro_walker routinely posts replies that are partial quotes of other posts. likely a bot. reported many times over, mods seem not to care.

oh yes indeed I had not noticed that he takes up the sentences of the second post. Who can have such a boring life to do such a thing!
2022-11-25
Use props
sodo
lvl.1
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 11-25 09:28
I think no, the drone will continue since there is no geofencing option. But UGCS is very responsive and could add such fonctionality if possible (not limited by the SDK) and if we request it of course.

Hi LV,
Right, makes sense.  I took a quick glance at UCGS..somewhat pricey at $150/month or $800/perpetual licensing seat, no?  I do see the free 21 day trial option.  

From the list of supported drones, it isn't clear that the Mini 3 Pro is supported.  Just checking..have you some experience running it w/the Mini 3 Pro?

'Sodo
2022-11-25
Use props
sodo
lvl.1
United States

Prairie Chicken Posted at 11-25 09:43
What's your secret? We demand to know!!

It sounds like a good idea that could be useful outdoors in some situations as well, but I have no idea if it can be implemented or not.

Hi Prairie,
My big fat head serves as a GPS-signal amplifier.

'Sodo
2022-11-25
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

sodo Posted at 11-25 11:05
Hi LV,
Right, makes sense.  I took a quick glance at UCGS..somewhat pricey at $150/month or $800/perpetual licensing seat, no?  I do see the free 21 day trial option.  

No i do not have mini 3 pro. But you can enjoy the trial to see if it works with your drone and stick to your needs.
Feel free to contact them to ask discount and know if a solution for your particular needs could be implemented or already exists.
2022-11-25
Use props
sodo
lvl.1
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 11-25 12:02
No i do not have mini 3 pro. But you can enjoy the trial to see if it works with your drone and stick to your needs.
Feel free to contact them to ask discount and know if a solution for your particular needs could be implemented or already exists.

Thanks LV, I will give it a try when I get some time and report back.
‘Sodo
2022-11-25
Use props
Prairie Chicken
lvl.4
Canada

sodo Posted at 11-25 11:06
Hi Prairie,
My big fat head serves as a GPS-signal amplifier.

My bald head should work too.
2022-11-25
Use props
sodo
lvl.1
United States

Prairie Chicken Posted at 11-25 16:23
My bald head should work too.

I hear bald head polish gets you an extra 5dB of throughput.
2022-11-25
Use props
Drone.Hunter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

To continue the topic. As other participants wrote, without GPS, I have no idea how to implement this. And for the sensors to work, you need good light, which can be problematic in such a situation.
2022-11-25
Use props
sodo
lvl.1
United States

Drone.Hunter Posted at 11-25 22:22
To continue the topic. As other participants wrote, without GPS, I have no idea how to implement this. And for the sensors to work, you need good light, which can be problematic in such a situation.

Hi Drone Hunter,
Yes, I think the assumption / prerequisite is that GPS should be present for the feature to be available for use.  In my case, the large hall I was in allowed for GPS lock, which was a strike of good luck.

'Sodo
2022-11-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

sodo Posted at 11-25 07:57
Thanks DJI Paladin.
Is there a feedback form somewhere that I can make the suggestion to DJI that they add my aforementioned "bounding box" as a new intelligent flight mode?

We appreciate your feedback I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-11-28
Use props
sodo
lvl.1
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-28 02:17
We appreciate your feedback I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. Thank you for your valued support.

Thanks Paladin, I think it’s a valuable modification.  Details are in the thread above.
‘Sodo
2022-11-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

sodo Posted at 11-28 09:45
Thanks Paladin, I think it’s a valuable modification.  Details are in the thread above.
‘Sodo

You are most welcome. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Have a nice day ahead.
2022-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules