Did overexposure warning change in latest firmware for HLG?
1144 16 2022-11-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Hi Folks / DJI,

I am noticing that I am getting overexposure warning now in lighting conditions where I did not get them before. I am using ND32CPL and I try to film 90 degrees to the sun if possible, but I am noticing overexposure warnings come up pretty much all the time now even though with the same aperture and ISO / shutter speed , I used to not get them with previous firmware to the very latest one. I am not sure if it is related to the sun being positioned differently due to late fall, but wanted to check with others if anyone is noticing the same. I filmed a ship recently and overexposure warning showed clipping on the the whole body of the ship, but I did not notice any of that clipping when post processing the video. Wanted to check if others might have noticed the same or this is maybe due to sun being lower in late fall and maybe something expected.

Thanks in advance, Mike.

P.S. Also manual focus peaking levels seem to show in white now in latest firmware as oppose to red before and it's very easy to confuse with overexposure zebras. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if others also noticing this.
2022-11-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there, Mzp. Thank you for reaching out, and we apologize for any inconvenience caused. To further confirm, may we ask you to share a video showing the warnings? And regarding the peaking level showing in white, we will have it forwarded to our engineers for confirmation. Kindly keep us updated. Thanks for your cooperation.
2022-11-25
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 11-25 20:24
Hi there, Mzp. Thank you for reaching out, and we apologize for any inconvenience caused. To further confirm, may we ask you to share a video showing the warnings? And regarding the peaking level showing in white, we will have it forwarded to our engineers for confirmation. Kindly keep us updated. Thanks for your cooperation.

Thank you Tony. Appreciate you forwarding to engineering the peaking level instead of red showing white. Regarding the overexposure warning that seem to be showing on everything since the update, I need to figure out how to record the screen of the RC Pro as it won't be shown on the final video that I download from the drone / SD card. I have never done recording of RC Pro screen before, but it must be easy to do. Let me figure it out and I will share a screen recorded video with you of the RC Pro showing the overexposure warnings on most objects around me with ND32CPL and 90 degrees to the sun.

Thank you, Mike.
2022-11-26
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Mzp Posted at 11-26 08:12
Thank you Tony. Appreciate you forwarding to engineering the peaking level instead of red showing white. Regarding the overexposure warning that seem to be showing on everything since the update, I need to figure out how to record the screen of the RC Pro as it won't be shown on the final video that I download from the drone / SD card. I have never done recording of RC Pro screen before, but it must be easy to do. Let me figure it out and I will share a screen recorded video with you of the RC Pro showing the overexposure warnings on most objects around me with ND32CPL and 90 degrees to the sun.

Thank you, Mike.

You're very welcome, Mzp. We will be waiting for your update. By the way, we have received feedback about from our related team. Please note that this issue has been reported to our engineers, and it's expected to be resolved in the next app update. Currently, users are suggested to use the OverExposure Warning and Peaking Level separately.
Please tune in to our DJI official website for relevant updates (www.dji.com). Your understanding is highly appreciated, and thank you for your continued support.
2022-11-26
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 11-26 21:15
You're very welcome, Mzp. We will be waiting for your update. By the way, we have received feedback about from our related team. Please note that this issue has been reported to our engineers, and it's expected to be resolved in the next app update. Currently, users are suggested to use the OverExposure Warning and Peaking Level separately.
Please tune in to our DJI official website for relevant updates (www.dji.com). Your understanding is highly appreciated, and thank you for your continued support.

Thank you Tony. Appreciate it a lot recognizing the peaking levels issue with manual focus becoming greyish white as oppose to red as before. I still need to record my screen on RC Pro to show you guys the overexposure warnings I get, but I also need to check it in Davinci Resolve to see the histogram and wave parade to actually be certain it's really an issue or legitimate overexposure due to sun being lower in late Fall.

Thank you, Mike.
2022-11-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Mzp Posted at 11-28 10:41
Thank you Tony. Appreciate it a lot recognizing the peaking levels issue with manual focus becoming greyish white as oppose to red as before. I still need to record my screen on RC Pro to show you guys the overexposure warnings I get, but I also need to check it in Davinci Resolve to see the histogram and wave parade to actually be certain it's really an issue or legitimate overexposure due to sun being lower in late Fall.

Thank you, Mike.

We're happy to help, Mike! Hopefully, we'll have the update sooner. And thank you for your efforts as well. We'll be waiting for your feedback then. Keep safe and have a nice day.
2022-11-29
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 11-29 00:55
We're happy to help, Mike! Hopefully, we'll have the update sooner. And thank you for your efforts as well. We'll be waiting for your feedback then. Keep safe and have a nice day.

Thank you Tony. Kindly see below an example of overexposure warning showing clipping at 85-90% of camera dynamic range. It seems overexposure warning is triggered even though when I check in editing software such as Davinci Resolve, still seeing about 10-15% more room for luminosity / white to fit into the camera dynamic range.  Please see below two pictures showing that:

Thank you in advance, Mike.

P.S. Kindly let me know if you need more info on this, I am just seeing clipping in overexposure warning not at 1022 maximum camera dynamic range, but at about 900 instead.Kindly check bottom right corner of Davinci Resolve screenshot, I circled in red on waveform, parade and histogram that there is still room to fit in bright white from about 900 to 1023. Also this test was done in HLG color profile.
2022-11-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Mzp Posted at 11-29 09:44
Thank you Tony. Kindly see below an example of overexposure warning showing clipping at 85-90% of camera dynamic range. It seems overexposure warning is triggered even though when I check in editing software such as Davinci Resolve, still seeing about 10-15% more room for luminosity / white to fit into the camera dynamic range.  Please see below two pictures showing that:[view_image][view_image]

Thank you in advance, Mike.

Hi, Mike. Thanks for the update, and the added details. This will be reported to our relevant team for further analysis. Thank you for your patience.
2022-11-29
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 11-29 23:35
Hi, Mike. Thanks for the update, and the added details. This will be reported to our relevant team for further analysis. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you very much Tony, really appreciate your help!

Best Regards, Mike.
2022-11-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Mzp Posted at 11-30 04:59
Thank you very much Tony, really appreciate your help!

Best Regards, Mike.

Hi, Mike. You're very welcome. By the way, we just received a confirmation from our related team. Please note that there was an optimization with the overexposure threshold in the latest firmware. Your feedback has been forwarded to the related team for evaluation. Significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at (www.dji.com). Thank you for your continued support.
2022-12-7
Use props
Geo_Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Mike, can you post original footage?
2022-12-7
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 12-7 23:24
Hi, Mike. You're very welcome. By the way, we just received a confirmation from our related team. Please note that there was an optimization with the overexposure threshold in the latest firmware. Your feedback has been forwarded to the related team for evaluation. Significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at (www.dji.com). Thank you for your continued support.

Thank you Tony.

Best Regards, Mike.
2022-12-8
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Geo_Drone Posted at 12-7 23:41
Mike, can you post original footage?

Hi Buddy,

Yes I uploaded it to YouTube just now, please give it some time to process, HLG HDR (as it is ) will only be available tomorrow the earliest or even a day later (YouTube is normally slow to process HLG layer, but the video is still uploading and is processing). Here is the link , it will be available to view tomorrow:

Time of upload: 5:50p.m. EST December 8th, 2022
Should be ready to watch: December 10th, 2022

Thanks, Mike.

2022-12-8
Use props
Geo_Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Mzp Posted at 12-8 14:55
Hi Buddy,

Yes I uploaded it to YouTube just now, please give it some time to process, HLG HDR (as it is ) will only be available tomorrow the earliest or even a day later (YouTube is normally slow to process HLG layer, but the video is still uploading and is processing). Here is the link , it will be available to view tomorrow:

Try original one. On Google Drive or any other file sharing...I can check if is an issue from Profile used in Resolve.
Cheers.
2022-12-8
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Geo_Drone Posted at 12-8 23:43
Try original one. On Google Drive or any other file sharing...I can check if is an issue from Profile used in Resolve.
Cheers.

I actually don't use Google drive, but let me try it, will get back.
2022-12-9
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Mzp Posted at 12-8 14:33
Thank you Tony.

Best Regards, Mike.

You are most welcome, Mike. We appreciate your kind understanding. Thank you, and have a nice day.
2022-12-9
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Geo_Drone Posted at 12-8 23:43
Try original one. On Google Drive or any other file sharing...I can check if is an issue from Profile used in Resolve.
Cheers.

Hi Buddy,

I was able to upload to both YouTube and Google Drive, please see links below:

YouTube:

Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... PM/view?usp=sharing        

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks in advance, Mike.
P.S. This is the original unedited file straight from the drone.
2022-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules