Map services update,satellite view improvement ?
3865 30 2022-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_r6soQO9gzSEu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1939127 ft
Canada

Hi.
I see in the announcements from Dji there will soon be a change in the map services.
I hope it will include an improved resolution to the satellite view. As it is now in Canada, the satellite view resolution on the map is worse than useless. I can not even determine roads or houses. Might as well have a child scribble the map with crayons and it would probably look better. Very disappointing a company as obviously technologicaly advanced as DJI would allow this to pass review and put it out on their products. Hopefully it is improved soon.
2022-11-26
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thanks for reaching out, and apologies for any inconvenience caused. To further isolate the issue you are experiencing, may we kindly ask for a screenshot of your map view? Please confirm the current app version of your DJI Fly app as well. We will be waiting for your update. Thank you for your kind understanding and support.
2022-11-26
Use props
djiuser_r6soQO9gzSEu
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Tony Posted at 11-26 19:17
Hi there. Thanks for reaching out, and apologies for any inconvenience caused. To further isolate the issue you are experiencing, may we kindly ask for a screenshot of your map view? Please confirm the current app version of your DJI Fly app as well. We will be waiting for your update. Thank you for your kind understanding and support.

Hello Tony , thank you for the reply.
DJI rc fly app v1.8.0. RC controller is connected to wifi.
I have attached two screenshots from the RC controller. One is the map view and the other is the satellite view of the same location.
I have also included a screenshot of the same location using google maps satellite  view on my phone for comparison. A better resolution image on the satellite view could be very helpful in navigating flights over natural undeveloped landscapes using landmarks such as rivers, lakes, meadows, clearcuts etc.
I think you will agree that the resolution provided by the satellite image from the RC controller does not provide enough detail to be usable in any way.
Cheers
Screenshot_20221127-074529.png
Screenshot_20221127-074647.png
Screenshot_20221127-082915_Maps.jpg
2022-11-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_r6soQO9gzSEu Posted at 11-27 08:46
I have attached two screenshots from the RC controller. One is the map view and the other is the satellite view of the same location.

Like they say - a picture is worth a thousand words.  DJI really does need to address the map issue.  
2022-11-27
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am sure i have read that DJI is working on this already.
2022-11-27
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_r6soQO9gzSEu Posted at 11-27 08:46
I have attached two screenshots from the RC controller. One is the map view and the other is the satellite view of the same location.

Thank you for the prompt update and for sharing the screenshots. Please note that this issue occurred probably because your app version is old. We highly recommend you update your app version, then check whether this issue remains. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-11-27
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

DJI Tony Posted at 11-27 23:30
Thank you for the prompt update and for sharing the screenshots. Please note that this issue occurred probably because your app version is old. We highly recommend you update your app version, then check whether this issue remains. Thank you for your understanding and support.

What problem did you fix if you are using a poor quality map service for your RC remote?
2022-11-28
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-28 05:21
DJI should use Google Maps, at least for Android users.  They have good resolution & accuracy.  There used to be a trick you could use to force the Go/Go4 apps to use Google Maps.  Not sure if the same is possible for Fly?

It is used on the phone, but not in the RC remote.
2022-11-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-28 05:21
DJI should use Google Maps, at least for Android users.  They have good resolution & accuracy.  There used to be a trick you could use to force the Go/Go4 apps to use Google Maps.  Not sure if the same is possible for Fly?

Yeah, i think the reason they do not is that it costs them money to use the API, the more users, the more it costs....

I thought at 1st that it might be down to that ban the US made ut then this issue is WW so it has to be money.
2022-11-28
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

Bashy Posted at 11-28 06:23
Yeah, i think the reason they do not is that it costs them money to use the API, the more users, the more it costs....

I thought at 1st that it might be down to that ban the US made ut then this issue is WW so it has to be money.

Google maps are used on the same RC (last FW, DJI Fly 1.8.0) where the restricted zones are indicated. And for the flight, MapTiker is used.
2022-11-28
Use props
djiuser_r6soQO9gzSEu
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Tony Posted at 11-27 23:30

Hi Tony.
As mentioned in my previous post I am running fly app version 1.8.0 on the DJI RC controller.
Can you please tell me what the latest app version is for the DJI RC controller.
20221128_063219.jpg
2022-11-28
Use props
Corsairoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 779049 ft
United Kingdom

I suspect that the reason for not using Google Maps may be one of caching.

When the DJI Fly app is running on a phone, it is, of course, connected to the internet and can cache the map into its local memory as it is needed.
However with the DJI Remote there is no permanent internet connection so the maps shown can only be what is pre-loaded into the remote from the last time it was connected to the internet.
A low resolution map would mean that a larger area could be cached, and probably is. Google Maps resolution would either require a much larger memory in the remote or a much smaller area to be held. Perhaps in the future this could be a use for the Micro SD card in the Remote....
I suspect the very poor resolution currently is associated with the physical memory capacity (and the cache size...) in the Remote.

C
2022-11-28
Use props
djiuser_r6soQO9gzSEu
lvl.4
Canada

Drone.Hunter Posted at 11-28 06:47
Google maps are used on the same RC (last FW, DJI Fly 1.8.0) where the restricted zones are indicated. And for the flight, MapTiker is used.https://youtu.be/4YLnGuVVLKY

Thanks very much for posting the video Drone.Hunter.
I just tried the fly spots and yes it has a high resolution image on the satellite view.
I wonder if it has something to do with the mini 3 not having enough processing power to render a high res image while in flight
2022-11-28
Use props
djiuser_r6soQO9gzSEu
lvl.4
Canada

Corsairoz Posted at 11-28 07:08
I suspect that the reason for not using Google Maps may be one of caching.

When the DJI Fly app is running on a phone, it is, of course, connected to the internet and can cache the map into its local memory as it is needed.

Hi Corsairoz.
Just saw your post after replying to Drone.Hunter.
I think you are correct and I was thinking along those same lines.
2022-11-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-28 07:37
One of the benefits of using Google Maps with the DJI RC is, in Google Maps, you can specify an area to be cached to local storage.  The cached map area(s) automatically update every so often.  If stored on a memory card in the DJI RC, this would allow us to have large areas pre-cached & available while flying.  Personally, I have been enabling WiFi during flight & wirelessly connecting to my phone HotSpot so I have live maps, but using Google Maps definable caching would eliminate the need for this.

BTW, I have noticed no degradation in signal or range having WiFi and/or Bluetooth enabled during flight.  In fact when using controllers that require my phone attached both are always enabled & I often have a Bluetooth conversation going on during my flights.

I think the wifi and bluetooth part was added because YouTubers thought that that was the issue with regards to the signal, turns out it was not, yet DJI has left this "disabling" in there, to me its ridiculous as its needed for hot-spotting, it needs to be removed again.
2022-11-28
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Go4 with the original Mavic range used to use MapBox instead of google.
It was woeful, lacking in any sort of detail and accuracy.

Eventually they moved back to Google.

(and FWIW signal wise on my RC-N1 i have no issue with bluetooth, wireless or 4G on *BUT* if i enable wifi hotspot on the phone the signal goes 100m or so at most.)
2022-11-28
Use props
RCCrawlerVenezuela
lvl.2
Flight distance : 280994 ft
Venezuela

Drone.Hunter Posted at 11-28 06:47
Google maps are used on the same RC (last FW, DJI Fly 1.8.0) where the restricted zones are indicated. And for the flight, MapTiker is used.https://youtu.be/4YLnGuVVLKY

This contribution made it clear to me what is happening, I had been looking for a solution all weekend because I thought it was a problem with my DJI RC.

Thanks for this post.
2022-11-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Drone.Hunter Posted at 11-28 05:08
What problem did you fix if you are using a poor quality map service for your RC remote?[view_image]

Hi there. Thank you for sharing the view of your maps, and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. We will have it reported to our engineers for further investigation. And just to verify, in your case, does it occur to both the DJI RC and mobile phones, or only in DJI RC? We appreciate your understanding on this. Keep safe.
2022-11-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_r6soQO9gzSEu Posted at 11-28 06:59
Hi Tony.
As mentioned in my previous post I am running fly app version 1.8.0 on the DJI RC controller.
Can you please tell me what the latest app version is for the DJI RC controller.

Thank you for the confirmation and we're sorry to read that the issue remains. As mentioned in the response to Drone.Hunter's comment, we will have it reported to our corresponding team. Thank you for your continued support.
2022-11-29
Use props
RCCrawlerVenezuela
lvl.2
Flight distance : 280994 ft
Venezuela

DJI Tony Posted at 11-29 00:44
Hi there. Thank you for sharing the view of your maps, and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. We will have it reported to our engineers for further investigation. And just to verify, in your case, does it occur to both the DJI RC and mobile phones, or only in DJI RC? We appreciate your understanding on this. Keep safe.

Hi,

This is only happening in the DJI RC, Android or IOS phones do not have this problem.
2022-11-29
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

DJI Tony Posted at 11-29 00:44
Hi there. Thank you for sharing the view of your maps, and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. We will have it reported to our engineers for further investigation. And just to verify, in your case, does it occur to both the DJI RC and mobile phones, or only in DJI RC? We appreciate your understanding on this. Keep safe.

The situation is similar in the history of flights. Only on RC remote.
2022-11-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

RCCrawlerVenezuela Posted at 11-29 02:19
Hi,

This is only happening in the DJI RC, Android or IOS phones do not have this problem.

Hello, RCCrawlerVenezuela. Thanks for the added information. This will surely help our related team further isolate the concern. Thank you for your continued support.
2022-11-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Drone.Hunter Posted at 11-29 06:24
The situation is similar in the history of flights. Only on RC remote.

Hi, Drone.Hunter. Thanks for the confirmation. Please note that it has been relayed to the concerned team for further checking. We will post an update as soon as we receive feedback. Thank you, and have a nice day.
2022-11-29
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

Bashy Posted at 11-28 06:23

>>I thought at 1st that it might be down to that ban the US made ut then this issue is WW so it has to be money.

Or Linux GPL problems.

2022-11-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thank you for your feedback and efforts. We just received confirmation from our engineers. We do notice the issue that the Maptiler has lower satellite accuracy in some countries. Our relevant team is working on this issue at the moment, which will help improve the service quality better and optimize this issue in future App versions. Please stay tuned for updates on our DJI official website (www.dji.com).  Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and keep safe.
2022-12-3
Use props
MRDroneRookie
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Tony Posted at 12-3 22:00
Hi there. Thank you for your feedback and efforts. We just received confirmation from our engineers. We do notice the issue that the Maptiler has lower satellite accuracy in some countries. Our relevant team is working on this issue at the moment, which will help improve the service quality better and optimize this issue in future App versions. Please stay tuned for updates on our DJI official website (www.dji.com).  Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and keep safe.

Thanks Tony, looking forward to the update.
2022-12-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

MRDroneRookie Posted at 12-4 11:15
Thanks Tony, looking forward to the update.

You are most welcome, MRDroneRookie. We appreciate your understanding and support. Have a nice day!
2022-12-4
Use props
djiuser_micSFXdbiG7y
lvl.1
United States

Hi everyone, I am new here to the forums and I apologize if I am stating the obvious or if there is a solution that I have simply overlooked.  I am running the DJI RC with my Mavic 3 Classic (but the issue isn't isolated to a drone model) and the maptiler API produces a horrible (zoomed) satellite layer thus making it impossible to use.  I have read conflicting threads that the issue will be resolved but I am not sure continuing to use Maptiler's API is the solution.  For instance, whether  I use the DJI RC or my laptop, the satellite layer imagery is equally bad.

Here is a link to Devil's Gate in the Noosa National Park using the Maptiler Preview:  https://www.maptiler.com/maps/#style=hybrid&mode=2d&position=17.83/-26.378639/153.117964
A picture:

The image displayed on your screen (zoomed in) is the exact imagery that the DJI RC is showing - this is unacceptable...

Contrast the satellite imagery from Google:https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hell's+Gates/@-26.3784711,153.1167685,546m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x92db68dc9ba9510!8m2!3d-26.379067!4d153.1190484

Here is a Google snapshot:  
2023-1-11
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

The reason why DJI stopped using google maps is maybe because of this:

Platform Pricing & API Costs - Google Maps Platform
Plans & pricing of our mapping platform | MapTiler Cloud

2023-1-11
Use props
GSquared
lvl.1
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 1-11 00:40
The reason why DJI stopped using google maps is maybe because of this:

Platform Pricing & API Costs - Google Maps Platform

@LV_Forestry - yes I agree that the decision was based upon cost; however, the fact remains that it (Maptiler)  is an unacceptable solution for satellite imagery.  Here is an example over my neighborhood - what is this nonsense about?  

I acknowledge that cost drives business decisions but as a customer, some decisions affect consumers differently...  And what is important to some is not to others - Thank you for your insight...  

Happy New Year
2023-1-11
Use props
Electriflyer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 65279 ft
Australia

And still nothing
2023-7-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now