Do we need all these LRF Files
36105 58 2022-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

we got to live with it. maybe the OA5 will get our wishes. the lrf files and editors shadow files too much proxying
1-24 04:05
Use props
NaturePi
lvl.1
United States

Bashy Posted at 1-23 17:07
LRF's are needed for smooth playback on the camera.

If you do not need them, just delete them, simples

Any open source editor can provide Codec Info. Do your homework, you need to look at the charts to see the difference in fields sizes of Color Space between Rec709 and newer standards to understand my point. DJI is using 10 bit LE 4-2-0 color profile in heavenly compressed HEVC codec which contains full data in every 5 reference frames only while recording it into same old hole. And.FYI.. Osmo Action One doesn't have any of those LRF files and works fine. Also, if you didn't know, today's decoders(players) have ability to set lower frame sizes on the fly...so go ahead keep deleting those files on your vacations or long hiking trips somewhere outdoors... but we don't need them... it is a junk which also drains the battery substantially! Cheers!
1-31 16:54
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NaturePi Posted at 1-31 16:54
Any open source editor can provide Codec Info. Do your homework, you need to look at the charts to see the difference in fields sizes of Color Space between Rec709 and newer standards to understand my point. DJI is using 10 bit LE 4-2-0 color profile in heavenly compressed HEVC codec which contains full data in every 5 reference frames only while recording it into same old hole. And.FYI.. Osmo Action One doesn't have any of those LRF files and works fine. Also, if you didn't know, today's decoders(players) have ability to set lower frame sizes on the fly...so go ahead keep deleting those files on your vacations or long hiking trips somewhere outdoors... but we don't need them... it is a junk which also drains the battery substantially! Cheers!

Sounds to me like perhaps the DJI action camera isn't the right one for you at present.

As i said, the LRFs are good for proxy files that i need to use for my aging laptop, so i am glad they are there, its one thing missed with the Mini 2 and Mini 3 Pro
1-31 19:24
Use props
NaturePi
lvl.1
United States

Bashy Posted at 1-31 19:24
Sounds to me like perhaps the DJI action camera isn't the right one for you at present.

As i said, the LRFs are good for proxy files that i need to use for my aging laptop, so i am glad they are there, its one thing missed with the Mini 2 and Mini 3 Pro

I said we need a simple flag to record these file or not in next Firmware Update... it should be up to the user.... you argument about old laptop has nothing to do with the issue what I am raising here...
2-4 00:18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NaturePi Posted at 2-4 00:18
I said we need a simple flag to record these file or not in next Firmware Update... it should be up to the user.... you argument about old laptop has nothing to do with the issue what I am raising here...

Yes it has, i want the files, thats a good a reason as any. I can see where an option to not have them saved is also a good idea, i am not dissing that, i am giving a reason why they are useful, the other reason is for playback on the camera, if you removed them then there would be no playback option
2-4 04:22
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

have you tried Removing the files, off the camera, deleting and then reinserting just the  original, does it play???
2-4 08:16
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

2-4 08:22
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

2-4 08:22
Use props
NaturePi
lvl.1
United States

Bashy Posted at 2-4 04:22
Yes it has, i want the files, thats a good a reason as any. I can see where an option to not have them saved is also a good idea, i am not dissing that, i am giving a reason why they are useful, the other reason is for playback on the camera, if you removed them then there would be no playback option

to play what? 4K 120p files on action cam? You got to be an idiot Knowing what's been recorded...Common! You can record 720p files as well, right? Then you will have duplicates with half of your memory card wasted...
also DJI should change the spec claiming 210 min recording time on one battery charge to 60 min....which is worse than original Osmo Action... Period!
2-6 00:44
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

NaturePi Posted at 2-6 00:44
to play what? 4K 120p files on action cam? You got to be an idiot Knowing what's been recorded...Common! You can record 720p files as well, right? Then you will have duplicates with half of your memory card wasted...
also DJI should change the spec claiming 210 min recording time on one battery charge to 60 min....which is worse than original Osmo Action... Period!

You knew what the other action cam was like yet you still bought DJI, If you don't like something, to me, it doesn't make sense to buy the same product again.

Anyhow, you did buy one, so you think they take up half the memory card? They only take up a fraction of the space, but now you know they are created, so just account for it with more memory if its such a problem for you, its a simple solution.

And its only 160 minutes, not 210, where does it say 210 minutes?.

All i am saying is, the LRF files are ok for me, yet from youre tone it sounds like i cant have a say, my opinion doesn't mean squat. I have not dissed your reasoning, just explained why they are there and a possible use for them. I have not said that they should stay and that should be the only option, no i agreed with you that perhaps an option to NOT save them could be added, and i said that you have to realise that you may very well not have the option to playback what you've recorded, i just made you aware of that, yet you come across borderline offensive, calling me an idiot. I have been courteous and polite, please, afford me the same, thank you.

You know, perhaps you should look at the bigger picture, the amount of space they use up should be irrelevant as you can add more memory, perhaps you should be looking at the processing power and the battery used whilst creating these files, and in turn, the extra heat generated thus causing the camera to overheat sooner.

So stop being so angry, about it as your concern can simply be addressed by adding more memory, its not expensive, just account for the few extra GB they take up until such a time that DJI addresses it themselves, IF they do.
2-6 04:30
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Does the actual Camera shoot 720P video? and that is one Option why its good to keep the LRF, but hide them  when using the actual camera as a mass Storage, and show them when  taking out the sdxc card.

2-7 04:58
Use props
NaturePi
lvl.1
United States

Bashy Posted at 2-6 04:30
You knew what the other action cam was like yet you still bought DJI, If you don't like something, to me, it doesn't make sense to buy the same product again.

Anyhow, you did buy one, so you think they take up half the memory card? They only take up a fraction of the space, but now you know they are created, so just account for it with more memory if its such a problem for you, its a simple solution.

well, first my writings are here is to find a solution to what I encountered after upgrading my old camera, which doesn't have any of these issues... second, your argument was "an old laptop" for your edits is the reason to keep LRF file, which makes no sense for me..if you think you are an idiot then be the one...the topic here is not about your hardware....Again, these are not proxy files, and after doing more tests, I see clearly they are NOT good for editing. There are lots of flickering artifacts while panning at DJI chosen low bitrate, so even people like you, with an old systems, be better of working with original 720p MP4 files. That's for a content, as far as camera can or can not play originals I already gave a solution to lower a resolution during playback  - it is a software fix... And... I was wrong about storage numbers, on my last trip, camera recorded 27 GB of MP4 files and 3.3GB of LRFs, so storage issue is not crucial here... yes I agree with you... but it is time consuming to go thru them. And those 3 Gigs+wasted battery could be a life saver to record last moments somewhere on several days vacation or an outdoors trips...I think, the only reason DJI made these files is for their mobile app and editing software to work properly on a phone. They record thumbnails as well in another folder...Again a simple flag in FW update will fix this issue.. Let users to decide to keep this junk or not...
2-9 01:30
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NaturePi Posted at 2-9 01:30
well, first my writings are here is to find a solution to what I encountered after upgrading my old camera, which doesn't have any of these issues... second, your argument was "an old laptop" for your edits is the reason to keep LRF file, which makes no sense for me..if you think you are an idiot then be the one...the topic here is not about your hardware....Again, these are not proxy files, and after doing more tests, I see clearly they are NOT good for editing. There are lots of flickering artifacts while panning at DJI chosen low bitrate, so even people like you, with an old systems, be better of working with original 720p MP4 files. That's for a content, as far as camera can or can not play originals I already gave a solution to lower a resolution during playback  - it is a software fix... And... I was wrong about storage numbers, on my last trip, camera recorded 27 GB of MP4 files and 3.3GB of LRFs, so storage issue is not crucial here... yes I agree with you... but it is time consuming to go thru them. And those 3 Gigs+wasted battery could be a life saver to record last moments somewhere on several days vacation or an outdoors trips...I think, the only reason DJI made these files is for their mobile app and editing software to work properly on a phone. They record thumbnails as well in another folder...Again a simple flag in FW update will fix this issue.. Let users to decide to keep this junk or not...

You called me an idiot, i quote "You got to be an idiot Knowing what's been recorded"

Look, I am done with your bullpoop, I really cant abide folk that think their opinion is just that, well it isn't, i gave an argument for using them, that is that i have an older laptop and therefore can use the LRF files as proxies thus saving on encoding new proxies. I also gave the argument that the files are NEEDED for playback on the camera itself, it was at that point when you called me an idiot.

You carry on in your own little fantasy and i will go about my day, cheerio old bean!
2-9 04:38
Use props
djiuser_8RxLRzHfJVt0
New

India

.lrf files doesn't work with Resolve 18.
I recently purchased Osmo action 4 adventure combo, shot a few clips and then tried editing these clips in resolve using the proxy fikes generated by the camera itself.
It didn't work.
Steps I tried to use .lrf files as proxy media but failed..
1. Copied all the lrf files to a separate subfolder (named proxy) inside the folder where I had my camera originals.
2. Renamed every lrf file the same as the camera originals appended with the extension as .mov and .mp4 both (neither of them worked).
3. Tried Relinking the proxy media from Resolve as well but it didn't detect the proxy files created by the camera itself.

Hence, it is my request to DJI to kindly provide us an option to disable the lrf files.
2-10 17:06
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_8RxLRzHfJVt0 Posted at 2-10 17:06
.lrf files doesn't work with Resolve 18.
I recently purchased Osmo action 4 adventure combo, shot a few clips and then tried editing these clips in resolve using the proxy fikes generated by the camera itself.
It didn't work.

I dont use Davinci so i dont know what i am doing in it as i use Premiere Pro else i would have had a go to see. I have just had a quick look, did you get an error stating to use a file with a matching framerate etc?

There is one thing i have noticed when using the LRF's as proxies and that is that if you record in a framerate other than 30fps, then the original file will not match the proxy file as they are only recorded in 30fps, as seen in the image below... You can try to put it through an encoder to up the framerate but when i tried it messed up things. So so far, you can only record in 30fps if you want to use the created LRF as proxy files.

There is one thing i would like to point out and that is this thread was created for the Action 3 and DJI hasn't done anything about it thus far so do not hold your breath.
2-10 20:26
Use props
MacHead
lvl.1
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2022-11-27 01:39
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The LRF files, this is low-resolution files generated simultaneously when recording, and LRF files are MP4, which can be viewed by any media player. We don't have the option to turn off this said feature. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thank you for your answer. Can I delete them without any consequences to my video or audio ? Thank you
2-13 15:03
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MacHead Posted at 2-13 15:03
Thank you for your answer. Can I delete them without any consequences to my video or audio ? Thank you

That is 100% correct, yes and without consequence.
2-13 18:55
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Well, you should prolly not delete them from the memory card WHILE you also have the original video files on it. You can delete them once you copied them to your HD, but why would you even waste time copying them to your HD if you don't need them?

On another note... what if I could sell the LRF files to unsuspecting customers? I could put them on eBay and disguise them as bullions. Thousand bucks a pop.

2-13 19:46
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

MacHead Posted at 2-13 15:03

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Yes, you can manually delete these files without having any issues with your footage. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us.
2-15 01:51
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules