Learned a couple of lessons this week
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Akael
lvl.1

United States

So I contemplated not posting about these two lessons, but figured maybe they will help some other new Phantom owners.

I am now going on 2 weeks with my Phantom 3 Advanced, and getting more and more confidence with my flying abilities. The other day I went to a park to fly around a bit. It had been raining beforehand and the grass was pretty tall and wet. I decided to calibrate the compass in the parking lot, which of course was cement. It seemed to go well at the time, and calibrated correctly I thought. Then a few minutes into my flight the app reported a compass error, and the drone switched to Atti mode. I had practiced flying in Atti and since I wasn't far away I was able to land just fine. The only thing I can think of that may have caused the issue is the fact that the parking lot cement has rebar embedded, and must have caused an issue with the compass calibration. I was too worried about controlling the drone to really focus on the errors in the application, but I should have tried to get a screenshot I guess.

The second lesson I learned was regarding flying with a group of people around. Normally I takeoff in a wide open area, and without anyone around. This particular day I was at a friends house, and wanted to show off the drone. They had a couple teenage sons, and each had friends over so there was a group of maybe 7-8 people there. I normally take off with the drone facing away from me, and I did this day when I first took off. Shortly into the flight one of the teenagers asked how I land it, and I preceeded to show them by landing it on the wood deck behind their house. When I landed it the drone was facing me instead of away from me, and I took back off without realizing it. The questions were coming back to back, and I was slightly distracted. Near the house was a tree that while not too large was definiately closer to where I was flying than I should have been.

As I raised the drone I was flying only about ten feet from the tree branches and needed to get further away. Being distracted and having taken off facing the opposite direction I normally do I hit the stick and flew directly into the tree. I realized immediately, but it was too late. I tried to fly away from the tree, but the props hit a branch about as thick as my pinky finger, and the drone started rolling completely end over end. I thought for sure it would tumble to the ground, and the entire group there all verbally gasped out loud. Amazingly the drone recovered somehow, and shot up about ten feet and away from the tree.

My heart was racing, and I carfully brought it in and landed. I was amazed that there wasn't anything wrong at all with the props except for some green marks where it clipped the leaves. There was of course a small pile of leaves and a small branch that was cut clean off the tree, which is how I knew it was as think as my pinky.

So my too leassons learned:

1. Don't calibrate the compass on cement.
2. Either fly with nobody around, or ignore the people standing with you and pay attenion to what you are doing even more so than you do when alone, because you will be distracted and screw up.
2015-8-14
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

At least you survived and will likely not make the mistake(s) again

Hope this story helps others.. The P3, although easy to fly, takes a bit of thinking and concentration and just a moment lapse can mean the P3 hugs a tree or takes a swim.
2015-8-14
Use props
Akael
lvl.1

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-8-14 22:54
At least you survived and will likely not make the mistake(s) again

Hope this story helps others ...

I have learned both lessons, and won't be making either mistake again.
2015-8-14
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

On this "people standing around" thing.  I saw some advertisement for a tee shirt that attempted to address some of this.  On the back I think it said,

Please do not talk to me while I am flying.
To answer your question...
1. A lot of money
2. Really far
3. Really high
4. Yes, it has a camera. No you can not see it now.

I think I will have a shirt made like this BUT what other questions answers should be on the tee shirt?
2015-8-14
Use props
sudiste
lvl.2

Monaco

Thanks for sharing, you learned at least one important point, dont distract by other people and just do your thing,
hope other people who are not learn resistant will remind your experience.

Regarding the compass calibration, i read another thread here yesterday and i agree that it's maybe not the best thing doing the compass dance before every flight because you might feed the bird with erroneous values, sometimes less is more. This is at least one thing i'm taking into account for the next flights.
2015-8-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Another happy ending, & Only some Green Scuff marks, which will wipe clean off with some rubbing alcohol. ;-)
Being an honored gold ambassador to this sport, also involves spending time around others, and explaining detailed answers to their technical if naive questions. "How high will it go?"
I actually love flying, while being around others, particularly us like minded people. I guess that's why having friends that also fly, Is Important.
I am fortunate to have already personally met @Rigworker, a forum member here, who lives quite close to me, and we have had the opportunity to fly our Phantom 3 quads together. Awesome character...
Most forums I frequent, have members from every other part of the globe, but it seems you rarely get to meet folks from your own region. I would suggest others follow this same route.
Join clubs, or put your desires out there, to share your love and passion for this rewarding sport with others. It's a great way to spend time, and improve your interpersonal skills as well.

There are so many different aspects to this RC hobby. I'm lucky to get to appreciate several of them at once. Flying electric, and running a 4.6 big block nitro monster car.

Spending hours in the forums is also a great pastime, PARTICULARLY while patiently waiting on intelligent flight batteries, which are charging... ;-)
The new multi charger that DJI released this week, looks very promising...

RedHotPoker
2015-8-14
Use props
pcmaconly
lvl.2

United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-8-15 00:30
On this "people standing around" thing.  I saw some advertisement for a tee shirt that attempted to  ...

Good idea

Please do not talk to me while I am flying.
To answer your questions...

1. No it's NOT a Drone
2. A lot of $$$$
3. Really far
4. Really high
5. Yes, it has a camera.
6. No, you can NOT fly it

I would buy one
2015-8-14
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

Sterile DJI GO............

The Sterile Cockpit Rule (from WIKIPEDIA):

Is an FAA regulation requiring pilots to refrain from non-essential activities during critical phases of flight,[1] normally below 10,000 feet. The FAA imposed the rule in 1981 after reviewing a series of accidents that were caused by flight crews who were distracted from their flying duties by engaging in non-essential conversations and activities during critical parts of the flight.[2] One such notable accident was Eastern Air Lines Flight 212, which crashed just short of the runway at Charlotte/Douglas International Airport in 1974 while conducting an instrument approach in dense fog. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) concluded that a probable cause of the accident was distraction due to idle chatter among the flight crew during the approach phase of the flight.[3] Similar is the case of Colgan Air Flight 3407 in 2009.[4]
2015-8-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Why I prefer to fly United!! ;-)
Flying, while alone, can be productive, for film and pictures, but also rather lonesome..
You should have a spotter anyway...

RedHotPoker
2015-8-14
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Thanks for sharing. I often get company by curious ppl and its always nice even if it's a distraction. Nearing 100 P3  flights I'm taking more and more risks.
Some are complaining on flying over their house, but only after I landed. In sweden theres no law against that so I tell them duly noted and ask the to get lost.
2015-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules