2062 14 2022-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MaxP4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13833304 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Today I flew with a little wind and for the first time since I use DJI drones (both consumer and pro) I received a message like "High Wind, the RTH was deactivated". It worried me a lot because I was in an urban scenario.I would like to know in this case if the drone loses the connection how it behaves (hovering, landing... crashing)?

2022-11-27
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Looses connection means into RTH. If the failsave setting is Return to Home it will fly or try to fly (fighting high wind) to the HomePoint.
If it cannot 'win' from the wind it will drift backwards....

cheers
JJB
2022-11-27
Use props
MaxP4
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

JJB* Posted at 11-27 08:00
Hi,

Looses connection means into RTH. If the failsave setting is Return to Home it will fly or try to fly (fighting high wind) to the HomePoint.

Normally yes, but in this case the message says "RTH is deactivated" so I think the all the settings are bypassed.
2022-11-27
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

MaxP4 Posted at 11-27 08:35
Normally yes, but in this case the message says "RTH is deactivated" so I think the all the settings are bypassed.

uh,

please upload your flightlog for this issue

use > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

i have never seen in a log that bc of wind the RTH was deactivated, so would like to see your log for this issue.
cheers
JJB
2022-11-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

MaxP4 Posted at 11-27 08:35

in this case the message says "RTH is deactivated"
The actual wording is:
Strong wind warning.
Aircraft unable to return home automatically.
Lower altitude immediately and return to home manually.

The message is wrong and unnecessarily alarming.
It's the result of a very poor translation.
A strong wind will never deactivate RTH and even in a very strong wind, the drone would continue flying towards home although it's being blown backwards.
The message shows even if your drone is upwind of the launch point and woud have a tailwind for the return flight.

A more accurate message would be:
Strong wind warning.
This could make RTH difficult (if you are flying downwind and have to return against the wind).
Lowering altitude will expose the drone to winds of a lower strength.

2022-11-27
Use props
MaxP4
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

Labroides Posted at 11-27 12:10
The actual wording is:
Strong wind warning.

The Italian translation is even worse!
2022-11-27
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've never heard of high wind deactivating RTH>?
2022-11-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
New Zealand

BrianKushner Posted at 11-27 20:50
I've never heard of high wind deactivating RTH>?

It doesn't ... see my post above for a proper explanation.
2022-11-27
Use props
MaxP4
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

Labroides Posted at 11-27 12:10
The actual wording is:
Strong wind warning.

The exact translation is: "Very strong wind. Unable to activate auto return.
Descend immediately and return to the starting point manually."

2022-11-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
New Zealand

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-28 05:25
I have never seen this happen.  Definitely undesirable behavior that could lead to the loss of a drone.

You've never seen it happen, because it never happens.
Flight data analysis from drones flown too high, in winds too strong shows them in RTH trying to get home, but being blown backwards until they lose signal or battery.

The wording on the warning is incorrect.
2022-11-28
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-28 12:14
You've never seen it happen, because it never happens.
Flight data analysis from drones flown too high, in winds too strong shows them in RTH trying to get home, but being blown backwards until they lose signal or battery.

Labs is absolutely correct. I frequently get this warning. First, I descend until the warning goes off. If I can still do my mission, I continue. If not, I return home. No big deal
2022-11-28
Use props
djiuser_IR1byO1t6he9
lvl.1

New Zealand

I've also had this warning multiple times now. And until right now reading these comments I truly believed it was a "F u" for ignoring its warnings. I thought if my spark could do it in high wind (RTH) then why can't my air2? So your telling me it will RTH then in high winds? Cos it literally tells me to fly home manually. There's no reason it can't RTH except for saying F U for not listening to the warnings. That's what I put it down to....
2023-8-22
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The warning is badly phrased, it should be saying the drone maybe unable to return to home using the entirely automated process.
In the automated process the ground speed and drone's-tiit/air-speed are generally limited,  faster airspeeds are probably avaiable in sports mode.
Additionally most RTH's do not, when left to their own devices, start descending until the drone is over the home point. This leaves the drone flying in the region most likely to have high wind speeds. A maual flight home can use any available height and, more to the point, descend into what is likely to be slower winds.
2023-8-22
Use props
dronethegorge
New

United States

Flew my Air 3 upwind yesterday in 20kts. It went upwind fine. When I got about a half km, it sent the warning about RTH not working. I didn't try to activate it and instead flew it back manually no problem.
3-21 13:23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

dronethegorge Posted at 3-21 13:23
Flew my Air 3 upwind yesterday in 20kts. It went upwind fine. When I got about a half km, it sent the warning about RTH not working. I didn't try to activate it and instead flew it back manually no problem.

DJI has several misleading warning messages and this is one of them.
Your RTH would have worked normally, even if you were downwind (if the wind wasn't too strong and your distance wasn't too far).
See my first post in this thread for more details.
W-1.jpg
3-21 15:33
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules