Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RCN1 IN ADDITION to DJI RC with Mini 3?
2681 22 2022-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vindibona1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 206991 ft
United States

I've had a Mini 3 Pro with the DJI RC controller for a few months and like it a lot.  I still have a Mini 2 with a RCN1 controller that I rarely fly.  There will be A FEW occasions where I will want to use my RCN1 with the Mini 3 instead of the DJI RC controller.  
Basically I want to switch controllers back and forth from the DJI RC to the RCN1 and back with my Mini 3 but I don't want to screw up anything with the DJI RC or lose any benefits from the Care/Refresh coverage. FWIW the drone was "bound" in my account to the DJI RC while the RCN1 is "bound" to the Mini 2.   I just want, from time to time, fly the Mini 3 with my iPad Mini6 tablet or with my iPhone and DroneMask goggles.  Sadly the DJI RC does not have a USB port that can attach another device to for flight.  Only for charging and presumably for DJI Assistant and firmware stuff.

I've heard confusing statements that using another controller "VOIDS" my fly-away coverage (I paid for Care/Refresh+) and that I can "pair" the RCN1 to the Mini 3, but can only fly it FIVE times before it becomes an unflyable brick.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE OUT EXACTLY WHAT I NEED TO DO TO BE ABLE TO DO WHAT A WANT TO DO????
2022-11-28
Use props
TomAir9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 314144 ft
United States

I also have a problem with the RC-N1 controller switching between an "Air 2" and an "Air 2S".  A message says something to the effect that my version is inconsistent or incompatible.  It runs for several minutes but eventually makes the SWITCH and changes the software version on the controller from 01.01.0064 to 04.12.0060 and vice versa.  Very annoying.  For what it's worth, my Smart Controller has no problems making the same SWITCH.
2022-11-28
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

sadly i don't think the dji equipment is cut off for this.  yes it is "compatible" but the mixing and matching at will is not feasible.  often people wonder why these remotes simply don't work with all the drones out of the box just because it's o3 and people don't realize there are other issues to deal with in the sw and i think you are pointing out some of them.  even under ideal circumstances, the remotes are known to not be able to connect and/or bind because the sw is imperfect so there is that also.  unfortunately i can't help you because im at the point where all drones and all remote are unique for me, there's no sharing.
2022-11-28
Use props
vindibona1
lvl.2
United States

TomAir9 Posted at 11-28 12:31
I also have a problem with the RC-N1 controller switching between an "Air 2" and an "Air 2S".  A message says something to the effect that my version is inconsistent or incompatible.  It runs for several minutes but eventually makes the SWITCH and changes the software version on the controller from 01.01.0064 to 04.12.0060 and vice versa.  Very annoying.  For what it's worth, my Smart Controller has no problems making the same SWITCH.

The process of changing controllers is so confusing.   Can you pair wiithout binding?  Can you swap controllers with only updating firmware on controllers, or do we need to update firmware on the drones that turns on RID without the ability to roll back.
I think I may just have to use my Mavic 2 Pro for the things that I'd like to do with the Mini 3.
2022-11-28
Use props
vindibona1
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 11-28 13:02
sadly i don't think the dji equipment is cut off for this.  yes it is "compatible" but the mixing and matching at will is not feasible.  often people wonder why these remotes simply don't work with all the drones out of the box just because it's o3 and people don't realize there are other issues to deal with in the sw and i think you are pointing out some of them.  even under ideal circumstances, the remotes are known to not be able to connect and/or bind because the sw is imperfect so there is that also.  unfortunately i can't help you because im at the point where all drones and all remote are unique for me, there's no sharing.

I think you're right.   Perhaps trying to jam this squuare peg into a round hole isn't worth the trouble and effort and I could end ujp screwing everything that is working correctly.

As I said, perhaps I should reserve the tablet and FPV thing to my Mavic 2 until my Mini 2 comes back from repair.
2022-11-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is my understanding of the situation.

Think firstly of the pre flyaway and current connection that is estblished between the drone and the controller for the purposes of controlling the drone and transmitting video and data from the drone to the controller and screen, in the DJI drone manuals I have read DJI uses words based on "link" to refer to this connection and process e.g. link, linked, linking & linkage.  I suggest that you think of ONLY the words "link", "linked", "linkage" and "linking" when thinking about this control and data connection.
The mini series drones will permit only one controller to be linked to a drone at one time, if you wish to link an alternative controller to the drone then you must link that controller to the drone but in so doing the linkage of the original controller with the drone will be severed or undone. If you subsequently wish to use the original controller to fly the drone then you will have to link the original controller to the drone again and in so doing the linkage of the second controller to the drone will be severed or undone.

So, each time you wanted to swap controllers you will have to link the new controller to the drone.

Conversely a controller can only be linked to one drone at a time and if you wish to switch the controller to another drone you will have to link the controller to the second drone, doing that will severe the linkage between the second drone and its 'own' controller and severe the linkage between the controller and its original drone.

This linking etc. is easy and takes seconds.

I have used one RC231 /RC-N1 to sequentially fly three mini 2 s and I have even 'displaced' a still switched on and linked drone (obviously not a flying drone) from that controller by triggering the linking process in the controller and the second / third drone.

As far as I am aware that process remains unchanged and can be done using the App and a button push on the drone .....or....... a button sequence/combination on the controller and a button push on the drone.

Secondly, from what I have seen the words associated with the necessary connections for Flyaway insurance are based around the words "bound" and "bind", e.g. bind, bound,  unbound, binding, unbinding etc.
It is my understanding that two bindings are required for the insurance to be valid and that these bindings have NOTHING to do with controlling the drone or linking the drone and controller.

In no particular order, it is my understanding that these bindings are between

1) the drone (possibly via the drone's serial number) and the DJI account of the insurance owner.
2) the controller and the drone. I have no idea how the drone and the controller 'recognise' each other for this.

If you wish to change the controller of a drone that is covered by fly away insurance it is my understanding that, in order for the insurance to remain valid, you MUST

unbind the original controller from the drone and THEN bind the second controller to the drone.

If you simply link the second controller to the drone you will be able to fly the drone (perhaps for a limited number of flights) BUT the flyaway insurance will be INVALID until the second controller is bound to the drone.

I think this unbinding and binding is accomplished in the "device management" section of "profile" and profile can be found on the front page of the App, I can not say for definite that this is correct as I do not have flyaway cover. From my 'experiment*', detailed below, I recollect that a functioning connection to the web is required so that the binding and unbinding can be registered, presumably by DJI.

If you subsequently wish to revert to the original controller and retain valid insurance then you MUST  unbind the second controller from the drone and THEN bind the original controller to the drone.

I can not test the above as I have neither care refresh nor flyaway insurance but * I was able to establish some form of binding between a Mini 2 and my DJI account but, since I have neither care refresh nor fly away insurance, this binding did absolutely nothing useful. I was able able to fly the drone with all the applicable controllers and to use all the controllers with all the drones, plus I was able to use a different DJI account and any controller.

From memory I established and severed/undid this binding, in seconds, via  "device management"etc..

I think, in connection with the fly away insurance, that I have read that there is no limit to the number of times you can swap and bind and unbind controllers from the drone but realistically you should verify that with DJI.

If any of the above is incorrect someone please correct me.

2022-11-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-28 16:15
Most dedicated RC controllers support profiles & binding to multiple aircraft/receivers.  ie My Hitec Aurora 9x supports binding with up to 30 different aircraft.  Each profile can be named & fully customized for the specific aircraft.  Obviously you can only bind to one aircraft at a time, but it makes swapping between multiple birds a piece of cake.  DJI has taken a much simpler route.  One would think DJI RCs are likewise capable of maintaining profiles for several DJI birds.

That may indeed be true but I think Vindibona1 is considering the use of the DJI RC with only the Mini 3.

From my experience with the RC-N1 / RC231 it can only store 1 "profile".
2022-11-28
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It is annoying and not as quick as i would like, it wastes valuable time having to do the pairing.

If i previously used the DJI RC i have to pair the N1 to enable FCC mode, then pair the drone back to the DJI RC for flight.
Also it's more than just seconds too as it 1st needs to realise that it cannot connect to the RC (about 20s although not counted, its a guesstimate), only then will it show the blue link to get to the Pairing screen, then its only a few seconds between 5 and 10 i'd say. Unless of course there is a direct link for the pairing process that skips the part where it tries to connect the previous;y used RC?

Having to do that twice is wasting at least a minutes worth of battery, if i actually stayed with the N1 for the flight and put it away at that, i have to waste around 30 seconds if i want to use the DJI RC next time out. To me it is a long drawn out procedure, when i say long, i mean long compared to the time you get with the standard battery, 30 seconds is a long time when time is a factor.

Now that you can use multiple RC's there should be Profiles where you can use 2 RC's without having to pair each and every time

EDIT: I could plug it in to the cars power whilst doing these changes i spose...
2022-11-28
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

I just bound my N1 to my new Mini 3 Pro, because the drone got buzzed by a raptor, known as a Whistling Kite. I like the N1 better because of google maps and the range. But it seems easy enough to go back and forwards to the RC. You just have to remember to do it.

2022-11-28
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Zoooom Posted at 11-28 18:26
I just bound my N1 to my new Mini 3 Pro, because the drone got buzzed by a raptor, known as a Whistling Kite. I like the N1 better because of google maps and the range. But it seems easy enough to go back and forwards to the RC. You just have to remember to do it.

[view_image]

I do not notice any difference with the range between the N1 and the DJI RC, both around the same give or take a few meters either way and thats in CE and FCC mode.
2022-11-28
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

Bashy Posted at 11-28 18:43
I do not notice any difference with the range between the N1 and the DJI RC, both around the same give or take a few meters either way and thats in CE and FCC mode.

When you fly them line of sight, you may not see the difference. When there are trees in the way, it becomes more obvious, but lots of things are changing as you move around, so it's difficult to pin down with certainty. I'm working off old Mini 2 videos and watching the minimum heights I flew at, and trying to replicate them with the 3 Pro, as well. I can't even really work out whether the Mini 2 is better than the 3 Pro. But my instinct is that it was easier to fly the Mini 2 long distance.

But back to the switching topic, the controller alerts you to the fact that you have to fly a binded drone with internet present, to a large extent, but I'm not sure of the quirks.
2022-11-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there, vindibona1. Thanks for reaching out. Sean-bumble-bee is right. The Care Refresh plan is registered to the drone itself, and you may switch between remote controllers without affecting your service plan. One thing you need to ensure, aside from pairing or linking the drone to the desired remote controller, is you must bind it to the drone and account first, so in cases of flyaways, you will be eligible to use your care plan. Please note that you can only claim Flyaway coverage if you used the bound remote controller. To be specific, what you need to do to use the RC-N1 on your Mini 3 Pro is, to have the DJI RC unbound from the aircraft first. To do so, go to Profile>Device Management>Value-added Service. There, you'll have an option to "Unbind RC." Once the DJI RC is unbound, you may link and bind the RC-N1 to the aircraft. To bind it, the same path is followed, and then select "Bind New RC." When a confirmation that binding is successful is received, you can feel free to use it. If you need to go back and use the DJI RC again, simply unbind the RC-N1 and then bind the DJI RC using the same logic.
Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Have a nice day!
2022-11-28
Use props
vindibona1
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 11-28 23:47
Hi there, vindibona1. Thanks for reaching out. Sean-bumble-bee is right. The Care Refresh plan is registered to the drone itself, and you may switch between remote controllers without affecting your service plan. One thing you need to ensure, aside from pairing or linking the drone to the desired remote controller, is you must bind it to the drone and account first, so in cases of flyaways, you will be eligible to use your care plan. Please note that you can only claim Flyaway coverage if you used the bound remote controller. To be specific, what you need to do to use the RC-N1 on your Mini 3 Pro is, to have the DJI RC unbound from the aircraft first. To do so, go to Profile>Device Management>Value-added Service. There, you'll have an option to "Unbind RC." Once the DJI RC is unbound, you may link and bind the RC-N1 to the aircraft. To bind it, the same path is followed, and then select "Bind New RC." When a confirmation that binding is successful is received, you can feel free to use it. If you need to go back and use the DJI RC again, simply unbind the RC-N1 and then bind the DJI RC using the same logic.
Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Have a nice day!

Thank you Tony for the most comprehensive answer I've received.  I presume you are employed by DJI?  If so I have an important suggestion that you might pass along up to the decision maker at DJI...

First, my info to illustrate my history and experiennce with DJI drones:  I have been flying DJI drones since 2020.  I now have 3 DJI drones, a Mavic 2 Pro, a Mini 2 and  Mini 3 Pro (w/DJI RC).  In the spring I will buy a DJI Mavic 3 or Mavic 3 Classic.

THIS IS THE FIRST TIME IN MY 3 YEARS FLYING DJI DRONES THAT A CONTROLLER THAT COMES WITH ONE DJI DRONE CAN FUNCTION AND SERVE SEVERAL MODELS. CONVERSELY THERE ARE SEVERAL *AFFORDABLE* OR EASILY OBTAINABLE CONTROLLERS THAT CAN ALTERNATELY CONTROL ONE DJI MODEL.

Assuming that I will buy one of the M3's soon, and already own a RCN1 and a DJI RC, there is no need for me to own any more controllers but each controller will be able to control 2 of my drones and three of them could operate on either of the two controllers.  It is common for many of us to be in the same situation, having a larger DJI drone for some purposes but one of the Minis for convenience With the affordability of the new DJI RC conntroller, common cross-compatibility is a relatively new "feature" for DJI drones and controllers. IMO it should be exploited as it may cause some DJI pilots to own multiple drones or controllers whereas they may only currently have one.

DJI SHOULD CONSPICUOUSLY PUBLISH DETAIILED INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO JUMP FROM DRONE TO DRONE WITH A SINGLE CONTROLLER OR EASILY ALTERNATE MULTIPLE CONTROLLERS FOR A SINGLE COMPATIIBLE DJI DRONE.  ADDITIONALLY, ON THE DJI WEBSITE IT MUST BE ***MUCH MORE CONSPICUOUS*** WHICH DEVICES ARE COMPATIBLE WITH WHICH DRONES AND VICE VERSA.  I had a miserable time trying to figure out which drones the RC Pro was compatiible with.  I shouldn't have needed to spend more than a minute doing that research, though it took over 10 minutes to find this basic information.

IN OTHER WORDS.... DJI needs to produce more detailed FAQ's and even DETAILED tutorials regarding interchangeability and (cross) compatibility and the implications of switching drone/controller "modules" in and out of service and how to keep our equipment, which we pay premiums on to Care/Refresh so we aren't caught in a technicality should our equipment fail, crash or fly away.
Thank you for listening. I hope you can pass this along and get DJI to act on the suggestions of merely publishing detailed information.
2022-11-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

vindibona1 Posted at 11-29 07:33
Thank you Tony for the most comprehensive answer I've received.  I presume you are employed by DJI?  If so I have an important suggestion that you might pass along up to the decision maker at DJI...

First, my info to illustrate my history and experiennce with DJI drones:  I have been flying DJI drones since 2020.  I now have 3 DJI drones, a Mavic 2 Pro, a Mini 2 and  Mini 3 Pro (w/DJI RC).  In the spring I will buy a DJI Mavic 3 or Mavic 3 Classic.

Hi, vindibona1. You are most welcome. We would like you to know that we sincerely appreciate your honest feedback, and we're sorry for the trouble caused. DJI always strives to provide a user experience and we want to make sure that all voices are being heard. Rest assured, your valuable suggestions will reach our related team for attention. Your understanding is highly appreciated, and thank you for your continued support.
2022-11-29
Use props
vindibona1
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 11-29 22:43
Hi, vindibona1. You are most welcome. We would like you to know that we sincerely appreciate your honest feedback, and we're sorry for the trouble caused. DJI always strives to provide a user experience and we want to make sure that all voices are being heard. Rest assured, your valuable suggestions will reach our related team for attention. Your understanding is highly appreciated, and thank you for your continued support.

I appreciate your reply.
Perhaps it is my American culture that might be more demanding than other cultures, one would think that with all the programming expertiise at DJI the website could be more comprehensive and easier, not just to navigate, but find information MUCH more easily.

One other thing that I might mention, as one who has studied multiple languages and studied in an international environment (including Chinese students who spoke English) and acknowledging that most instructions etc start in Chinese,  it might be helpful for the DJI team to think about "synonyms" (words that mean the same or similar things) when it comes to terminology.  I have, many times, seen a term listed and be totally confused because it is not how those speaking American Engliish would name a term for a given function.  I can't think of one right now but I will probably find one a day or two that I can  share as examples.

And so I want to pass along additional comments that might help DJI and its customers going forward...

I found one example as I read the "terms of service".    In this example the word "Fuselage" is used (see screen shot below).  But the term used for the serial number noted as fuselage, on the app is called "Aircraft S/N" (additional image below).   This is only one small example of the terminology disconnect.  DJI needs to be more diligent in being consistent in its terminology.

Not only that but the understanding of what different funcitions and services should not be buried in "terms of service" or in the many-page printed manual or digital manual with limited searches for different functions and features.

In other words, the DJI experience should be much more user friendly, comprehensive, but with information MUCH more easy to find.  One major issue is when one looks at a model with different packages,   what you get with each package or "what's in the box" should be right there with the package listing, not requiring scrolling or going to other pages.

Another example that I found was in searching for the Mavic 3 Classic options. The initial description only has a "bare bones" description and requires clicking only to find pictures that you have to look at. The comprehensive photo of what comes in the box is confusing. What's that cage looking thing (I know what it is now)?   Is there a battery included?  It doesn't look like it in the photo?  is the battery extra? What's the other stuff?   Yes, I NOW know what it is, but had to pose the quesion on the Mavic Pilots Forum.   Your marketing programmers need to stop assuming that customers know things that aren't noted and need to make the specifics jump out, not need a search.

I was happy to see that the compatibility for the RC Pro, as well as the DJI RC, was finally listed on the website under the photo of the controller.  Not long ago compatibility was not listed on the RC Pro and there was confusion as to which drones the DJI RC would be compatible with.  I know that the Air2s and Mini 2 were "add ons", but if work is being done to include them at a later date, that should be noted, if only for DJI's sake for those who might want to purchase a product knowing it will be compatible with and existing drone (or controller).  This is particuarly problematic with goggles.

2022-11-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

vindibona1 Posted at 11-30 08:06
I appreciate your reply.
Perhaps it is my American culture that might be more demanding than other cultures, one would think that with all the programming expertiise at DJI the website could be more comprehensive and easier, not just to navigate, but find information MUCH more easily.

Hi there. Apologies for the delayed response. By the way, thank you for the added suggestions. We appreciate your input. We hope that such updates can be made sooner. Please know that we hear you and we will submit your additional suggestions to the related department. Thank you for your patience. If you have more desires about the product and function, you can leave a message in DJI Forum and communicate with us. Thank you for your interest in DJI. Have a nice day!
2022-12-2
Use props
vindibona1
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 12-2 22:58
Hi there. Apologies for the delayed response. By the way, thank you for the added suggestions. We appreciate your input. We hope that such updates can be made sooner. Please know that we hear you and we will submit your additional suggestions to the related department. Thank you for your patience. If you have more desires about the product and function, you can leave a message in DJI Forum and communicate with us. Thank you for your interest in DJI. Have a nice day!

Now I've got another issue, which it similar to that which I griped about before, but even worse.

Today I just received a replacement Mini 2 from DJI Care/Refresh.  Well, someone they've done everything I said were issues. Menu placement. Teminology.   MISSING FEATURE!

I noticed that my gimbal would only tilt upward to 0° and remembered that there was a switch that said "allow upward gimbal rotation" which allowed for an extra 20° upward past 0°.  It's not there. I can't find itt. I called DJI customer service and whoever I spoke with was really quite unknowledgeable.  So I asked for a supervisor, but of course they were all busy and still waiting for a call back (from hours ago).

WHERE IS "ALLOW UPWARD GIMBAL ROTATION"?   They've combined EXP and pitch/yaw speed smoothness into one combined menu... but as I complained earlier they are calling it all something entirely different.  

So most important for me right now is UPWARD GIMBAL ROTATION.  How do I switch it on?????

Someone doing the coding hasn't figured out the English word "CONSISTENCY".  I think the one lesson that DJI has to learn is once you create a term for something you have to stick with it.   You've got people out here flying DJI drones for years and  look at new terms and go "what is that"???  
2022-12-6
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

vindibona1 Posted at 12-6 16:00
Now I've got another issue, which it similar to that which I griped about before, but even worse.

Today I just received a replacement Mini 2 from DJI Care/Refresh.  Well, someone they've done everything I said were issues. Menu placement. Teminology.   MISSING FEATURE!

Using an IPhone? There is a known bug where the switch is missing on the IOs version.
2022-12-6
Use props
vindibona1
lvl.2
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-6 16:04
Using an IPhone? There is a known bug where the switch is missing on the IOs version.

Thanks.  iPhone and iPad.  I hope they fix this.   Why did they have to change the app  anyway?  It all functioned as it should.... before.

I wonder if I would have the same issue if I connected my Mini 3 to my RCN1? Same issue with that bird?  Not gonna try it. Not updating anything on my Mini 3.
2022-12-6
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

so when you did a 2-second google search on "upward gimbal rotation" and this video popped up and you watched it for less 2 minutes, still not finding it?

2022-12-6
Use props
vindibona1
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 12-6 16:10
so when you did a 2-second google search on "upward gimbal rotation" and this video popped up and you watched it for less 2 minutes, still not finding it?

https://youtu.be/DJ-R0k7Aa5k

Dude…
DJI broke something on its latest app or firmware. I have been flying the mini two for 18 months. I know where the switch is on the old version. It is not there available for the replacement mini2 that I received today. The video that you posted is a year old.
2022-12-6
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

vindibona1 Posted at 12-6 16:55
Dude…
DJI broke something on its latest app or firmware. I have been flying the mini two for 18 months. I know where the switch is on the old version. It is not there available for the replacement mini2 that I received today. The video that you posted is a year old.

sorry i see it there in my setup but it's in my smart controller.  wasn't sure what device you were using.  guess i got distracted with your rant about  inconsistency and poor sw development and dji coding failures and this business about dji sending you a replacement drone but forgetting to include the upward gimble feature in the box along with your new drone lol
2022-12-6
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

vindibona1 Posted at 12-6 16:00

Hi there.  Thank you for your feedback. Currently, the DJI engineers are working to determine the cause for this issue, which is expected to be resolved by updating the app version. We highly suggest that you wait for the next app update that will resolve the missing "Allow Upward Gimbal Rotation" option in the DJI Fly app. We appreciate your understanding and patience. Have a nice day.
2022-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules