DJI Pocket 2 Focus problem
3036 19 2022-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hector Architec
lvl.1
Mexico

I have been using my camera for the last few days and it did not present any problem, until yesterday.

When I got home to edit I realized that everything was out of focus.

I already reset the osmo pocket2 but apparently the camera still can't make a proper focus, both in continuous mode and in single mode
Anyone has a very soft focus issue with their Pocket 2?

DJI_0120.JPG
DJI_0119.JPG
2022-11-28
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Never had a problem like that with my pocket 2.  Still got care Refresh?
2022-11-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I don't have this.
What is your focus setting set at?
You might accidentally have tapped the screen and set focus to something very close.
2022-11-29
Use props
Hector Architec
lvl.1
Mexico

Blériot53 Posted at 11-28 14:14
Never had a problem like that with my pocket 2.  Still got care Refresh?

Hi!!.  No I no longer have CareRef.
2022-11-29
Use props
Hector Architec
lvl.1
Mexico

Montfrooij Posted at 11-29 01:40
I don't have this.
What is your focus setting set at?
You might accidentally have tapped the screen and set focus to something very close.

I have tried it on both  AFC / AFS.
2022-11-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hector Architec Posted at 11-29 06:20
I have tried it on both  AFC / AFS.

Ok, that is odd.
What happens if you touch the screen so it focusses?
2022-11-29
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

That has never occurred to my Pocket 2. I strongly suspect a faulty device, if changing the focus setting and tapping the screen doesn't fix the issue.
2022-11-29
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Hector. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to read about your experience with Osmo Pocket 2. May we ask if you're using Zoom when you capture these photos? We will wait for your update. Thank you.
2022-11-29
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-29 19:43
Hi, Hector. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to read about your experience with Osmo Pocket 2. May we ask if you're using Zoom when you capture these photos? We will wait for your update. Thank you.

I have a question regarding the zoom when taking still pictures. What is the zoom factor in that that still keeps the image quality lossless? I maxed out when taking a 64MP picture and the result looked quite terrible (possibly partially due to having not much light though). My videos stay very nice-looking even on maximum zoom at 1080p, but some zoomed still pictures don't look as great.
2022-12-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

HGDC84 Posted at 12-1 10:20
I have a question regarding the zoom when taking still pictures. What is the zoom factor in that that still keeps the image quality lossless? I maxed out when taking a 64MP picture and the result looked quite terrible (possibly partially due to having not much light though). My videos stay very nice-looking even on maximum zoom at 1080p, but some zoomed still pictures don't look as great.

Hi, HGDC84. We apologize for the inconvenience. DJI Pocket 2 uses digital zoom, which is different from optical zoom. For electronic technology, digital zoom is equivalent to magnifying the photo area using image processing software, which also magnifies the pixels. This will have an impact on the clarity of the picture quality. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2022-12-2
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-2 05:06
Hi, HGDC84. We apologize for the inconvenience. DJI Pocket 2 uses digital zoom, which is different from optical zoom. For electronic technology, digital zoom is equivalent to magnifying the photo area using image processing software, which also magnifies the pixels. This will have an impact on the clarity of the picture quality. Thank you for your kind understanding.

Thanks for the reply.

I do know that the Pocket 2's zoom is digital, however at least in 1080p video mode it has been applied in a way that I do not notice any discernible loss of quality, at up to 4X zoom. I remember even hearing that some of the DJI's marketing material has described the zoom at 1080p mode as "lossless". The difference is clear when compared to the zoom quality of the still picture 64MP mode at maximum zoom. I would like to know where's the difference in them, and if there is a certain point where the image quality stays at a level that the quality loss can't be noticed with bare eyes.

Thanks already for any further replies!
2022-12-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

HGDC84 Posted at 12-3 06:25
Thanks for the reply.

I do know that the Pocket 2's zoom is digital, however at least in 1080p video mode it has been applied in a way that I do not notice any discernible loss of quality, at up to 4X zoom. I remember even hearing that some of the DJI's marketing material has described the zoom at 1080p mode as "lossless". The difference is clear when compared to the zoom quality of the still picture 64MP mode at maximum zoom. I would like to know where's the difference in them, and if there is a certain point where the image quality stays at a level that the quality loss can't be noticed with bare eyes.

Hi, HGDC84. Thank you for providing more information. Can you please provide us with a sample video and photo with the same subject for further checking? Kindly include also the settings you used while taking them. We will wait for your update. Thank you.
2022-12-6
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-6 03:50
Hi, HGDC84. Thank you for providing more information. Can you please provide us with a sample video and photo with the same subject for further checking? Kindly include also the settings you used while taking them. We will wait for your update. Thank you.

Thank you for your reply.

Here is the video I shot with the subject (settings: 1080p30, shutter speed 1/60, ISO 800, High Quality mode, White Balance automatic, Autofocus single):

And here are the photos at normal, 2X, 4X, 6X and 8X zoom (Same settings otherwise than the previous ones, but photo mode at 64MP selected instead of 1080p30 video):

At normal magnitude

At normal magnitude

At 2X zoom

At 2X zoom

At 4X zoom

At 4X zoom

At 6X zoom

At 6X zoom

At 8X zoom

At 8X zoom

The pictures here might not be perfect, as I had to resize them (both resolution and filesize) to be able to attach them here. But maybe those give the general idea.

Awaiting for your response.

2022-12-10
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

HGDC84 Posted at 12-10 08:33
Thank you for your reply.

Here is the video I shot with the subject (settings: 1080p30, shutter speed 1/60, ISO 800, High Quality mode, White Balance automatic, Autofocus single):

Hello, HGDC84. Thank you for providing the video and photos. I have forwarded this concern to our relevant team for further checking. We will update you once we receive feedback from them. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2022-12-10
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-10 21:56
Hello, HGDC84. Thank you for providing the video and photos. I have forwarded this concern to our relevant team for further checking. We will update you once we receive feedback from them. Thank you for your kind understanding.

Thank you for your efforts on this, will await for more information.

In the meanwhile, I would like to ask if you could check my other problem I have contacted you with before but haven't received an answer so far. See my comment and the related links at https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=280681

Thanks in advance and have a nice upcoming week!
2022-12-11
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

HGDC84 Posted at 12-11 14:19
Thank you for your efforts on this, will await for more information.

In the meanwhile, I would like to ask if you could check my other problem I have contacted you with before but haven't received an answer so far. See my comment and the related links at https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=280681

Hello, HGDC84. Thank you for patiently waiting. We now received feedback from our relevant team, please see the details below:

1) Within 2x zoom, 1080p video can be lossless. Because op2 can shoot up to 4k resolution.
2) Photos do suffer light quality loss when zoomed.

Regarding the other thread's concern. We will have it checked. Kindly wait. Thank you.
2022-12-12
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-12 02:16
Hello, HGDC84. Thank you for patiently waiting. We now received feedback from our relevant team, please see the details below:

1) Within 2x zoom, 1080p video can be lossless. Because op2 can shoot up to 4k resolution.

Thanks for that information, will bear that in minde for future reference. Have to say that rhe digital zoom in Pocket 2 usually surprises me in a positive way when shooting video. :-)
2022-12-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

HGDC84 Posted at 12-12 14:27
Thanks for that information, will bear that in minde for future reference. Have to say that rhe digital zoom in Pocket 2 usually surprises me in a positive way when shooting video. :-)

Hello, HGDC84. You're welcome. If you need further assistance please don't hesitate to reach us here at DJI Forum. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-12-13
Use props
derienzo
New

United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 12-12 14:27

Hi HGDC84, I might be able to shed some further light on your questions.

I don't work for DJI, but I do have a Pocket 2 and have experienced the same as you. The resolution of the sensor is actually 16mp, not 64mp as marketing will have you think. 64mp is a quad bayer which essentially means it uses multiple images to create 64mp. Anyway...

In video mode the zoom is set at a level where it will always be lossless. In 4K this is 2x zoom, 2.7k is 3x zoom, and 1080p is 4x zoom.

The reason the video zoom is lossless is because the video is cropping in on the sensor pixel resolution. the resolution of the sensor as noted above is 16mp, 4k video is 8.3mp (around about). So you can effective crop in on the sensor and still have a pure 4k image i.e. lossloss. The same goes for 1080p and 2.7k.

In photo mode you are taking a 16mp (or 64mp with trickery) photo, and then zooming in. In this case you are not cropping in the sensor but instead simply zooming in a 16mp photo as you are already at sensor limit without zoom. Hence when you zoom you lose quality.

I hope the above makes sense!
2022-12-19
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

derienzo Posted at 12-19 06:35
Hi HGDC84, I might be able to shed some further light on your questions.

I don't work for DJI, but I do have a Pocket 2 and have experienced the same as you. The resolution of the sensor is actually 16mp, not 64mp as marketing will have you think. 64mp is a quad bayer which essentially means it uses multiple images to create 64mp. Anyway...

Thanks for the clarification, it sounds very rational and plausible. I certainly noticed cropping when zooming the picture in photo mode further and had a look at the resulting pictures.

Will have to bear this in mind when taking photos.
2022-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules