Max recording length per file?
2585 7 2022-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Schaffner
lvl.2
United States

Hi,

I now have a Mavic 3 Classic.  I'm recording video at 4k 30 fps in normal mode.  The Micro SD card is a 128 GB SanDisk Extreme Plus.  When I record it will create an MP4 file that's 3 minutes 47 seconds long, and then create another file for the next 3 minutes and 47 seconds, and so on.  How come it's doing this?  Can't it create bigger files?  I formatted it on the Mavic 3 Classic and the filesystem is exFAT.  It should be able to create files bigger than 4 GB.

Jim
2022-11-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

If you shoot at a lower resolution or frame rate it will last a longer time.
The limit is on the file size.
That's just the way it is.

2022-11-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there, Schaffner. Thank you for reaching out, and apologies for any inconvenience caused. Captain Labroides is correct. Please note that the maximum capacity of a single file will not exceed 4 GB, and the resolution setting plays the most vital role. Additionally, due to the limitation of the SD card file system, and to protect the safety of your footage, the video will be automatically split when the size of the video reaches 4 GB. Your understanding is highly appreciated. Happy flying!
2022-11-28
Use props
Captgeo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1195472 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why though?  I use a Insta360 oneRS regularly and it can do a single file of greater length.  Is it just DJI limiting this?
2023-9-28
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13335725 ft
  • >>>
United States

Captgeo Posted at 9-28 15:22
Why though?  I use a Insta360 oneRS regularly and it can do a single file of greater length.  Is it just DJI limiting this?

4GB is a size limit on FAT32 file systems. It's not DJI. If you have files bigger than that on an SD card then it's formatted in exFAT more than likely.
2023-9-28
Use props
Captgeo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1195472 ft
  • >>>
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 9-28 16:08
4GB is a size limit on FAT32 file systems. It's not DJI. If you have files bigger than that on an SD card then it's formatted in exFAT more than likely.

The card in my M3 is formatted in exFAT...   and still the limit.  HAS to be DJI
2023-9-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Captgeo Posted at 9-28 15:22

It's always been this way on DJI equipment.
There is no way around the filesize limit.
If you want a longer video, you would have to reduce the resolution you shoot at.

2023-9-28
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Most likely the DJI drones run on 32 bit architecture. It's not something I do (film long videos), but I did assume that the cards these days being formatted by the drone to ExFat made me believe that the 4GB file limit no longer existed.

Nevertheless, the separate videos are seamless, so there's no lost data. Just drop the clips, in order, into a video editor and you have one long video.
2023-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules