Wifi flying distance restriction.
769 6 2022-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
amac1995
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8658 ft

United States

When I try to fly my mavic air using just my phone and a wifi connection it restricts my flight distance and height and does not allow me to edit it. When I connect to my mavic air with a wired connection to the controller I can edit the max flight height and distance. When I was use active track with my phone on wifi connection, the drone follows me until it hits the edge of the max distance and then it stops and just hovers there. So it is less then the max distance from my phone, but more then the max distance from where it took off. Is there a way to increase the max flight distance when on a phone wifi connection or a way to make the max distance be from my phone location not the take off location. Thanks.
2022-11-28
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, amac1995. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience. When flying with just a mobile device in a wide open area with no electromagnetic interference, the maximum transmission distance is approximately 328 ft (100 m) at an altitude of 164 ft (50 m). The setting restriction was due to the Wi-Fi signal strength. Your kind understanding is appreciated. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-11-29
Use props
amac1995
lvl.1

United States

I understand the limited range of the mobile device transmission, but that is even more reason for the max distance to be based on the distance of the drone from the phone, not from the takeoff point. As it currently is, trying to use active track with just my phone when doing activities such as biking or skiing is pointless as the drone stops after 328ft, and these are the types of activities I would want to use just the phone and not the controller to limit how much I have to carry up a mountain.
2022-11-30
Use props
amac1995
lvl.1

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-29 22:05
Hi, amac1995. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience. When flying with just a mobile device in a wide open area with no electromagnetic interference, the maximum transmission distance is approximately 328 ft (100 m) at an altitude of 164 ft (50 m). The setting restriction was due to the Wi-Fi signal strength. Your kind understanding is appreciated. Thank you for your valued support.

I understand the limited range of the mobile device transmission, but that is even more reason for the max distance to be based on the distance of the drone from the phone, not from the takeoff point. As it currently is, trying to use active track with just my phone when doing activities such as biking or skiing is pointless as the drone stops after 328ft, and these are the types of activities I would want to use just the phone and not the controller to limit how much I have to carry up a mountain.
2022-11-30
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Simple solution, use the connection cable.
2022-11-30
Use props
amac1995
lvl.1

United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 11-30 19:07
Simple solution, use the connection cable.

Yes I understand this. But the idea is to limit what I carry when doing activities such as mountain biking. That is why I wanted to do active track using just my phone, so I didn't have to carry the controller as well.
2022-11-30
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

amac1995 Posted at 11-30 18:57
I understand the limited range of the mobile device transmission, but that is even more reason for the max distance to be based on the distance of the drone from the phone, not from the takeoff point. As it currently is, trying to use active track with just my phone when doing activities such as biking or skiing is pointless as the drone stops after 328ft, and these are the types of activities I would want to use just the phone and not the controller to limit how much I have to carry up a mountain.

Hi, amac1995. The Mavic Air can use QuickShots and other intelligent flight functions while in Wi-Fi mode. However, because the Wi-Fi control signal is poor and the control distance limit is 100 m (distance) and 50 m (height), it is not recommended to use intelligent flight functions in Wi-Fi mode. You might want to consider checking newer drones with DJI Smart Controller, DJI RC, and DJI RC Pro if you would like to have a longer intelligent flight distance with limited devices to be carried.  Thank you for your kind understanding and valued support.
2022-12-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules