AEB Bracketing 3rd photo has movement
862 8 2022-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Merrillie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1406873 ft
Australia

I have recently been using AEB bracketing a lot more with my sunrise photos and I am noticing that the 3rd photo in a 3 set bracket often has movement and has to be deleted, leaving 2 for HDR or even 1 if one of those is no good in the early light. I haven't tried the 5 bracket option.
I find it rather strange that the one with the fastest shutter speed is the one to be out of focus with movement.
Is anyone else using AEB and has noticed this?
2022-11-29
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What is the rough shutter exposure of these images? If you're taking long(ish) exposures, you've got to wait for the three to capture and you might decide to fly elsewhere before it's finished.
2022-11-29
Use props
Merrillie
lvl.1
Australia

CloudVisual Posted at 11-29 14:44
What is the rough shutter exposure of these images? If you're taking long(ish) exposures, you've got to wait for the three to capture and you might decide to fly elsewhere before it's finished.

They vary but they are long shutter speeds so can be anywhere up to 2 seconds, usually under 1 second.
It might just be a wind factor that affects 1 out of 3 photos and I will try and make sure I haven't moved the drone before it has finished although I don't think I am doing that. Will see if I can pinpoint the cause. Might even try the 5 option.  I do a lot of sunrises so they are generally in low light.
2022-11-29
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Merrillie Posted at 11-29 15:06
They vary but they are long shutter speeds so can be anywhere up to 2 seconds, usually under 1 second.
It might just be a wind factor that affects 1 out of 3 photos and I will try and make sure I haven't moved the drone before it has finished although I don't think I am doing that. Will see if I can pinpoint the cause. Might even try the 5 option.  I do a lot of sunrises so they are generally in low light.

2 second AEB is my personal limit. It's about a 25% chance I get all three photos perfectly stable at 2 seconds. The issue is that you need to realise is that this is a flying camera and you're at the mercy of how stable it can be during the capture, so the wind is going to be your main factor here. Ever tried to hold a ground camera still for two seconds to get a stable shot, it's nearly impossible!

Importantly, a 2 second, 3 photo AEB will need roughly 6 seconds to complete the capture, so you might be moving the drone before it's completed the series of shots. Make sure the drone is finished before moving, I've done this before, especially in a rush.

Personally I'd be seeing if a 5 shot AEB yields a couple of extra stable shots to use in your HDR. Just spare the extra time for the drone to capture it all.
2022-11-29
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with CloudVIsual on the above.  I also find that some photo editing software is better than others at creating the merge of the stack and mitigating movement.
2022-11-29
Use props
Merrillie
lvl.1
Australia

TonyPHX Posted at 11-29 18:36
I agree with CloudVIsual on the above.  I also find that some photo editing software is better than others at creating the merge of the stack and mitigating movement.

I use Lightroom Classic and until recently had only been doing single images with the 3 drones I have had. I am liking the AEB quality though and only just discovered the Auto Stack feature in Lightroom. I had been doing them one stack at a time but I will need to look carefully for movement and delete any before doing HDR Merge, which I also just discovered you can do more than one at a time. Useful when I take a lot of photos lol.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/merrillie/
2022-11-29
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Merrillie Posted at 11-29 19:03
I use Lightroom Classic and until recently had only been doing single images with the 3 drones I have had. I am liking the AEB quality though and only just discovered the Auto Stack feature in Lightroom. I had been doing them one stack at a time but I will need to look carefully for movement and delete any before doing HDR Merge, which I also just discovered you can do more than one at a time. Useful when I take a lot of photos lol.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/merrillie/

Autostack sounds really good.  : )
2022-11-30
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Try manual shooting, define your wheel in order to change AE or SS if you have SMART RC and make only 2 photos,  one +1 and one -1.
2022-12-7
Use props
KokoFresha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3843146 ft
Bulgaria

As I had already requested in another thread, MAVIC 3 should offer step 1 stop in AEB function. Unfortunately, the DJI does not understand the huge benefit when shooting at sunrise and sunset and the weather is strong. And beautiful sunrises and sunsets are often accompanied by wind...
2022-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules