30654 194 2022-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JustName
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1420705 ft
  • >>>
Germany

All three of my ordered Osmo Action 3 cameras had a focus issue and blurry images. Even the exchange by DJI directly had brought only a slight improvement, so i ventured myself to the correction and this works perfectly from my point of view!

2022-11-29
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

So can you post a 30cm shot (or even 40) using that (in)famous focus chart, and an infinity outdoor shot to show that the camera does indeed focus sharply between 30cm - infinity with the new adjustment? Possibly original shots on GDrive (or whatever your fav cloud place is). 4:3 photos would be great that utilize the full sensor size. Thank you!

What I don't get, if this is really all it takes, then why did DJI sent me an email (and I've heard others got this, too) where they outline a price list for the faulty lens module, and then they send a brand new one with the same issue. Then what was the point of their email listing the warranty price list for the module? Because the way I interpreted it, they ran tests on the camera, determined that the lens module is fault, so they are going to replace/adjust it and send the camera back. But that's not what actually happened. They could've just got the tweezers (and I'm sure they have better precision tools than that), twist it a little bit, glue on, done. Ship it.

Of course someone mentioned they don't do repairs in the EU service centers cuz all go back to China. So still don't get what was the point with the email and the lens module price list thing. Eye candy?

And BTW, thanks for the video!

2022-11-29
Use props
djiuser_BDqfjZQkO1rk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15748 ft
United States

osmonauta Posted at 11-29 16:34
So can you post a 30cm shot (or even 40) using that (in)famous focus chart, and an infinity outdoor shot to show that the camera does indeed focus sharply between 30cm - infinity with the new adjustment? Possibly original shots on GDrive (or whatever your fav cloud place is). 4:3 photos would be great that utilize the full sensor size. Thank you!

What I don't get, if this is really all it takes, then why did DJI sent me an email (and I've heard others got this, too) where they outline a price list for the faulty lens module, and then they send a brand new one with the same issue. Then what was the point of their email listing the warranty price list for the module? Because the way I interpreted it, they ran tests on the camera, determined that the lens module is fault, so they are going to replace/adjust it and send the camera back. But that's not what actually happened. They could've just got the tweezers (and I'm sure they have better precision tools than that), twist it a little bit, glue on, done. Ship it.

They also don't do repairs in the California repair center either.
2022-11-29
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 246194 ft
Bulgaria

useful video
2022-11-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

What did you 'do' here?
Like what change did you make?
It is the same lens system right?
2022-11-29
Use props
fansecdc113d
lvl.1

Switzerland

Montfrooij Posted at 11-29 23:57
What did you 'do' here?

It seems that the lens is installed on a thread. By manipulating the lens you change the distance between the glass and the sensor, which affects sharpness.
2022-11-30
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It would be nice to see a pic before and after just to check corner and edge distortion.
2022-11-30
Use props
JustName
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Montfrooij Posted at 11-29 23:57
What did you 'do' here?

There are subtitles in the video ;-) And yes this is the same lens, but adjusted correctly.
2022-11-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fansecdc113d Posted at 11-30 00:21
It seems that the lens is installed on a thread. By manipulating the lens you change the distance between the glass and the sensor, which affects sharpness.

It looked like it indeed.
2022-11-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

JustName Posted at 11-30 00:34
There are subtitles in the video ;-) And yes this is the same lens, but adjusted correctly.

Ah ok.
I missed that (the subtitles).
So it was just a matter of changing the alignment?
2022-11-30
Use props
JustName
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Montfrooij Posted at 11-30 00:38
Ah ok.
I missed that (the subtitles).
So it was just a matter of changing the alignment?

Right! Therefore also feasible in a few minutes.

PS: The very exact setting could take a little longer.
2022-11-30
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

If someone will complete this adjustment, please put the camera on a bicycle (not a motorcycle) using a mount and test if the lens will stay in place when you ride on a rough road, eg cobblestones. Since there is no glue any more that will secure the lens in place, I’m not sure if the lens assembly can withstand bumps and other rough surfaces on the long run without moving or getting misaligned.
2022-11-30
Use props
JustName
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

The lens sitting tight enough, also there is a seal ring. I don't think the lens will misalign. I myself will use the camera for diving, on the bike and motorcycle.
2022-11-30
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think that video is confusing.

Are you saying to just unscrew the lens protector and rotate the actual lens by about 15 degrees anti-clockwise after breaking the glue.

2022-11-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

JustName Posted at 11-30 00:39
Right! Therefore also feasible in a few minutes.

PS: The very exact setting could take a little longer.

I'm curious how many 'dust on sensor' notifications we will get if we all start doing this
2022-11-30
Use props
JustName
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

osmonauta Posted at 11-29 16:34
So can you post a 30cm shot (or even 40) using that (in)famous focus chart, and an infinity outdoor shot to show that the camera does indeed focus sharply between 30cm - infinity with the new adjustment? Possibly original shots on GDrive (or whatever your fav cloud place is). 4:3 photos would be great that utilize the full sensor size. Thank you!

What I don't get, if this is really all it takes, then why did DJI sent me an email (and I've heard others got this, too) where they outline a price list for the faulty lens module, and then they send a brand new one with the same issue. Then what was the point of their email listing the warranty price list for the module? Because the way I interpreted it, they ran tests on the camera, determined that the lens module is fault, so they are going to replace/adjust it and send the camera back. But that's not what actually happened. They could've just got the tweezers (and I'm sure they have better precision tools than that), twist it a little bit, glue on, done. Ship it.

The focus chart is not big enough for the full FOV. But you can take a look at this shot.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pIKwmfDxbeJtldJAgTKDIrjmsW-OI6dx/view?usp=sharing

We currently have quite dark, rainy weather for a photo outside. But I have some test videos after the correction on my youtube channel.

You got the mail because it is easier to send a new cam with the factory setting than to deal with the correction. Normally, the rule is that the factory setting is correct and everything that deviates from it, is individual and therefore cannot be supported without major effort.

Unfortunately, in this case the factory setting is wrong and DJI will probably correct it sooner or later.

2022-11-30
Use props
JustName
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Here is a random frame, filmed from the moving car with HorizonBalancing. Just had the camera placed in the corner on the windshield with no special orientation, etc.

2022-11-30
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

First excellent to see you fixed yours,   glad you found a tool that will work.  that said best to you
lens is set with  glue grab the  edges, and slip just once , or touch hte actual glass is all going to cause an issue (whatever it will be), like scratching the lens, to putting oils on it,

Is it worth the hassle, it sure is

2022-11-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very cool fix.  Thanks for the video.  
2022-11-30
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

It was a pleasure. I'm already looking forward to getting my piece back from the "storekeepers - technicians" and playing with the settings. I don't feel like messing with them anymore, they sent me a video in which my camera shoots a video. . . all WRONG DJI
2022-11-30
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

JustName Posted at 11-30 01:57
The focus chart is not big enough for the full FOV. But you can take a look at this shot.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pIKwmfDxbeJtldJAgTKDIrjmsW-OI6dx/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for the chart! That does seem to be a good fix!
2022-11-30
Use props
EpicTree
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Interesting, maybe worth doing a video before and video after your adjustments to show the difference
2022-11-30
Use props
JustName
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

The difference is significant! I did some testshots before as comparison with my DJI Avata.  
First pic on the left side is Action 3, on the right Avata.
Second pic is Action 3 after the adjustment.

2022-11-30
Use props
EpicTree
lvl.2
United Kingdom

JustName Posted at 11-30 06:49
The difference is significant! I did some testshots before as comparison with my DJI Avata.  
First pic on the left side is Action 3, on the right Avata.

wow yeah from those photos the difference is incredible
2022-11-30
Use props
fansecdc113d
lvl.1

Switzerland

I just wonder if its not at cost of focus in at higher distance...
2022-11-30
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

JustName Posted at 11-30 02:23
Here is a random frame, filmed from the moving car with HorizonBalancing. Just had the camera placed in the corner on the windshield with no special orientation, etc.

[view_image]

Looks good
2022-11-30
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Greece

Huge difference
2022-11-30
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Greece

Very nice fix. Although mine has no problem at all. Maybe the problem is in some lots not all but its nice to know the fix You did.
2022-11-30
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

The fact that the repair only leads in this direction by mechanical rotation of the tube and no firmware update was immediately clear when I don't know who was the first to try to put a dioptric glass in front of the AO3 lens and sharp images came out of the camera. It doesn't matter what diopter, because it was clear that it was a physical problem. The blurry AO3s were "hastily" put together, which is also evidenced by the different gluing, piece by piece... For a long time, the technology has been improved only when tested on consumers, but here it was accelerated by the competition and the introduction of the GP11.
2022-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

JustName Posted at 11-30 02:23
Here is a random frame, filmed from the moving car with HorizonBalancing. Just had the camera placed in the corner on the windshield with no special orientation, etc.

[view_image]

Maybe its because of the window shield but everything on the left side of that photo is out of focus.
2022-12-1
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

2022-12-2
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Arpettaz Posted at 12-2 08:10
You are brave doing this yourself

When DJI makes a dead bug??? In that video, he said it nicely, what's the point of focusing at infinity, you need from 40cm to 100m motorbike (all sports activities in my opinion)... and that's the vast majority of people who buy an action camera, not for a drone. A sharp background at infinity doesn't make sense to me in ultra-wide. Just so the old man doesn't take my word for it, the hacked infinity is nowhere near as mud as the unhacked AO3 in the foreground
2022-12-2
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

so who is going to 3-D print a tool for the lens and start selling,     foul day here to   doing anything but capture a shot or two,  whatever the lens sees. should I worry if I can not read on camera the   bumper stickers...  great job again  modifying t your liking
2022-12-3
Use props
djiuser_zTKJyeOQbaiX
lvl.1

Germany

Hi, das ist schon ein extremer Unterschied. Sehr gut
2022-12-4
Use props
JustName
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

djiuser_zTKJyeOQbaiX Posted at 12-4 15:00
Hi, das ist schon ein extremer Unterschied. Sehr gut

Ja, der Meinung bin ich auch, dass der Unterschied enorm ist!
2022-12-5
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
Italy

osmonauta Posted at 11-30 00:55
If someone will complete this adjustment, please put the camera on a bicycle (not a motorcycle) using a mount and test if the lens will stay in place when you ride on a rough road, eg cobblestones. Since there is no glue any more that will secure the lens in place, I’m not sure if the lens assembly can withstand bumps and other rough surfaces on the long run without moving or getting misaligned.

Could always apply a little bit of hot glue to the threads once it's in the perfect calibration. Pretty sure I saw a video and that was how one camera (I don't recall the model) kept the lens secure anyway.
2022-12-6
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

2022-12-8
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316335 ft
Italy

The difference is already very noticeable in distant subjects, just look at the stones on the ground in the first part of the video.
Then if one does not want to see it amen.
2022-12-8
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

MarcoR Posted at 12-8 02:39
The difference is already very noticeable in distant subjects, just look at the stones on the ground in the first part of the video.
Then if one does not want to see it amen.

In another thread I put videos from Tamara Gabriel where she compares with the GP11 and in the videos you can clearly see that at infinity the OA3 is clearly sharper than the GP11 and in the foreground it is turned against the OA3. I don't understand why they then declare it as an action camera, when it takes shots clearly aimed at long distances, which none of us will use unless we put it on a drone. 99% bought it as a handheld camera. The second thing, for landscapes and a detailed wide picture, 12 Mpx has not yet been built for this. It feels like eating soup with a fork.
2022-12-8
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316335 ft
Italy

StevoB Posted at 12-8 03:18
In another thread I put videos from Tamara Gabriel where she compares with the GP11 and in the videos you can clearly see that at infinity the OA3 is clearly sharper than the GP11 and in the foreground it is turned against the OA3. I don't understand why they then declare it as an action camera, when it takes shots clearly aimed at long distances, which none of us will use unless we put it on a drone. 99% bought it as a handheld camera. The second thing, for landscapes and a detailed wide picture, 12 Mpx has not yet been built for this. It feels like eating soup with a fork.

Logical reasoning, he thinks I fall into the 1% who instead bought it mainly to mount on drones.
So I care little about the bad focus up close, it matters instead that it is in focus from a distance.
But apparently in some OA3s this is not so out of the factory.
And I was getting paranoid about closed focus, while the problems are other as well.
Whether it is solved by manual fix is a relative problem, but I wonder why DJI produced OA3 with the wrong focus.
2022-12-8
Use props
12345Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules