Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Droffarc
First Officer
Flight distance : 11265331 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

My ten cents/pasetas/pence worth:
There is no way that I will even try the procedure described in the video, hands too shakey, eyes too week, sphincter too week  
What I have done is a comparison Pocket 2 vs Acrion 3 full zoom.
The action I will use without the zoom as an action cam, If I want better I will use the Pocket 2

I will add that I am disapointed that DJI could charge so much for a faulty product and will no longer buy from them And will not send my camera back - extra expense - it is what it is.
2022-12-8
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1420705 ft
  • >>>
Germany

You can not compare Pocket 2 and Action 3, because Pocket 2 has a variable focus, Action 3 has a fixed focus.

But the most of action 3 cams have a misaligned lens, so there is no focus at all.
2022-12-8
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

MarcoR Posted at 12-8 03:26
Logical reasoning, he thinks I fall into the 1% who instead bought it mainly to mount on drones.
So I care little about the bad focus up close, it matters instead that it is in focus from a distance.
But apparently in some OA3s this is not so out of the factory.

I would not be at all surprised to find out about conspiracies and some kind of agreements between these two companies, which rather than competition seem to me that one benefits from the other and vice versa. Big money is earned for us in an illogical way and in many cases only negative advertising kicks the profit graphs up after a certain time... I just don't understand why they put brutally soft unusable cameras into circulation at the beginning... I guess I answered myself a line back ?
2022-12-8
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316335 ft
Italy

Droffarc Posted at 12-8 03:33
My ten cents/pasetas/pence worth:
There is no way that I will even try the procedure described in the video, hands too shakey, eyes too week, sphincter too week  
What I have done is a comparison Pocket 2 vs Acrion 3 full zoom.

The comparison unfortunately does not hold, the Pocket 2 has variable focus and in the OA3 is fixed, so the first one will always win.
And sending your OA3 in case to DJI for a repair or inspection is free, you don't spend anything, just open a ticket for this.
2022-12-8
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
Flight distance : 11265331 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

MarcoR Posted at 12-8 06:30
The comparison unfortunately does not hold, the Pocket 2 has variable focus and in the OA3 is fixed, so the first one will always win.
And sending your OA3 in case to DJI for a repair or inspection is free, you don't spend anything, just open a ticket for this.

Thank you MarcoR, and the transport/postage/shipping/whatever from South Africa?
I previously had a similar issue with my old spark - it was transported to who knows where and three months later surfaced after much ado when I found it had not even left the country.
2022-12-8
Use props
TroutManiac
lvl.2
United States

Nothing scientific, but clearly a difference after i followed the procedure of slightly turning the lens. Its like a totally different camera.

I just ordered another OA3 and will run them side by side doing consistent configurations to see the differences between them.
1.jpg
2.jpg
DJI_20221210084839_0050_D.JPG
after_2.JPG
DJI_20221210085026_0051_D.JPG
DJI_After Adjustment.JPG
2022-12-10
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

2022-12-10
Use props
EpicTree
lvl.2
United Kingdom

TroutManiac Posted at 12-10 09:57
Nothing scientific, but clearly a difference after i followed the procedure of slightly turning the lens. Its like a totally different camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbyDIkelTQ4

Wowsa, thats crazy..... this demonstrates dji didnt put in the lense correctly? Great video/pics.

What tool did you use to turn the lense?
2022-12-10
Use props
TroutManiac
lvl.2
United States

EpicTree Posted at 12-10 10:23
Wowsa, thats crazy..... this demonstrates dji didnt put in the lense correctly? Great video/pics.

My procedure was I turnt the camera on and recorded for like 20 mins on 4k/120 to try to warm it up as much as I could. I also then used a hair dryer on the front around the lens area for 10 mins or so. Then just used some forceps and slowly with slight pressure to get it to slowly turn. I hooked it up to my computer as a webcam to be able to see the picture better and just used my monitor lettering and a peice of paper around 12.5 inches away as i adjusted the ring and just used my eyes to gauge when it looked terrible and then good until i felt like it was right.
2022-12-10
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

EpicTree Posted at 12-10 10:23

Explain that to two senile old men here on the forum. According to them, everyone who is not blind and produces an obvious out of focus, so we whine and want a macro camera from an action camera. DJI set it to focus at infinity, i.e. for drones and because of the competition, it misleads consumers where it states the range of focus from 30cm still in the specifications... I wonder if someone brave will be found and will solve it through paragraphs... Otherwise the camera is unrivaled, the management is bad.
2022-12-10
Use props
TroutManiac
lvl.2
United States

2022-12-10
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

GoPro is on the top?
2022-12-10
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Look at DJI support, this is how it's done.  Show your tech-nicks and management what it takes to make a nearly perfect camera in every way.
2022-12-10
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

StevoB Posted at 12-10 11:25
Explain that to two senile old men here on the forum. According to them, everyone who is not blind and produces an obvious out of focus, so we whine and want a macro camera from an action camera. DJI set it to focus at infinity, i.e. for drones and because of the competition, it misleads consumers where it states the range of focus from 30cm still in the specifications... I wonder if someone brave will be found and will solve it through paragraphs... Otherwise the camera is unrivaled, the management is bad.

That's the problem with mass production. Individual cameras are not checked, but set strictly according to specifications and that's it. In this case, someone probably forgot his glasses during the initial setting and the wrong settings were entered into production.

The real problem with the factory setting is that the camera does not actually focus properly, either near or far, because the lens is too close to the sensor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance
2022-12-10
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

JustName Posted at 12-10 12:58
That's the problem with mass production. Individual cameras are not checked, but set strictly according to specifications and that's it. In this case, someone probably forgot his glasses during the initial setting and the wrong settings were entered into production.

The real problem with the factory setting is that the camera does not actually focus properly, either near or far, because the lens is too close to the sensor.

But the last pieces of OA3 that are sold have a sharper image in the far background than the GP11, so they are focused, but not at the distance that they declare and not for the use and the body in which they implemented it.
2022-12-10
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

StevoB Posted at 12-10 13:09
But the last pieces of OA3 that are sold have a sharper image in the far background than the GP11, so they are focused, but not at the distance that they declare and not for the use and the body in which they implemented it.

Do you maybe have some examples for me?
2022-12-10
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

JustName Posted at 12-10 13:16

From Tamara's videos you see it. Even on older videos on YT, where one guy compares AO3 with a GP11 on skis, you can see the dominant sharpness of the dji on distant rocks....I'll look tomorrow and give a link.
2022-12-10
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Is that a PEZ keyboard? :-)
2022-12-10
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

JustName Posted at 12-10 13:16

old fw

2022-12-10
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Arpettaz Posted at 12-3 11:44
My Osmo Action 3 isn’t a “dead bug”!  It works fine

Quite so does mine
2022-12-10
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MarcoR Posted at 12-8 02:39
The difference is already very noticeable in distant subjects, just look at the stones on the ground in the first part of the video.
Then if one does not want to see it amen.

Oh look mr don’t know what an action cam is for has piped up
2022-12-10
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Thank you for sharing.

DJI Support and the local distributor here in the UAE have declined to assist me with warranty support as my unit was not purchased from UAE (it was a gift from my family in Singapore).

I decided to just roll up my sleeves and get this done with the help of my Leatherman tool, and all it took was a counter-clockwise rotation of 3-4 mm and everything is in focus now.
2022-12-11
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Ken-W Posted at 12-11 09:20
Thank you for sharing.

DJI Support and the local distributor here in the UAE have declined to assist me with warranty support as my unit was not purchased from UAE (it was a gift from my family in Singapore).

2022-12-11
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Thank you for sharing.

Glad it helped :-)
2022-12-11
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

If DJI Support addresses the problem in a similar manner - then might buy again.  Otherwise water integrity and warranty would be potential concerns.
2022-12-11
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JustName Posted at 12-8 03:38
You can not compare Pocket 2 and Action 3, because Pocket 2 has a variable focus, Action 3 has a fixed focus.

But the most of action 3 cams have a misaligned lens, so there is no focus at all.

What nonsense of course there is focus…. Many many people are using them very happly
2022-12-11
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

10-Bit Posted at 12-11 16:04
If DJI Support addresses the problem in a similar manner - then might buy again.  Otherwise water integrity and warranty would be potential concerns.

The water integrity will not be affected, because the seal ring is not at the lens.
2022-12-12
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-11 23:27
What nonsense of course there is focus…. Many many people are using them very happly

Your cam is clearly NOT in focus ;-)  
But i think some one is just not able to see the difference. Also like there is no visible difference between 4K and 1080p ;-)
2022-12-12
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Thank you for sharing.

Hi, there. We are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience caused.
May we know if your problem is resolved now? If you need any support, please let us know.
And just a kind reminder that according to DJI after-sales policies, DJI does not provide a global warranty, customers can obtain warranty service only at a designated DJI repair center in the region where he/she purchased the product. We deeply hope you can understand this and are sincerely sorry again for the unpleasant experience.

2022-12-12
Use props
Grgn
lvl.1

Poland

Good Afternoon,

Do we know official position of DJI about these changes made myself?

I'm afraid they can affect warranty conditions.

Maybe I didn't read carefully but I couldn't find information.

Thx,
2022-12-12
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

you may visit online as well dji.com/services and policy if you wan to  buy it  and do what you want with it, that be "all you" but you want to  send in with the   warranty subscription they did cover it with a person who  tampered  with it already.  to each their own

2022-12-12
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

All you have to do is turn it a little and it's IN FOCUS Today, just in a hurry, the light is already low, tomorrow I'll play more with the optimal settings for my needs, as a classic action camera user, not a drone operator
2022-12-12
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Yep some uses the wrong tools to  d otht, problem is once yo break the bead   you'll keep in mind vibration will loosen the focus, again hmm
2022-12-12
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Fishycomics Posted at 12-12 08:23
Yep some uses the wrong tools to  d otht, problem is once yo break the bead   you'll keep in mind vibration will loosen the focus, again hmm

It still spins stiffly. The glue is probably the fixation of the "calibrated" tube by the supplier of all the optics, and DJI will only fix it with screws in the factory. Someone here has already done a test that it is stable even after a hard MTB ride. As soon as the Out of Focus buzz started, someone said that a third party was providing them with the optics....right? not true? It doesn't matter, because it is complemented already detuned to other distances, not what they declare...
2022-12-12
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

What I was not happy about was the heating of the camera at 4K/120.  I set the timer on my watch for 30 minutes, but after about 9 minutes the camera reported that it was overheating, I set it to 60fps and after 2 minutes it was overheating again, I left it at 30fps for another 10 minutes and then hacked.....clearly the last fw and at the same time it wasn't as hot as when it heats the GP11...
2022-12-12
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 246194 ft
Bulgaria

StevoB Posted at 12-12 12:03
What I was not happy about was the heating of the camera at 4K/120.  I set the timer on my watch for 30 minutes, but after about 9 minutes the camera reported that it was overheating, I set it to 60fps and after 2 minutes it was overheating again, I left it at 30fps for another 10 minutes and then hacked.....clearly the last fw  and at the same time it wasn't as hot as when it heats the GP11...
[view_image]

So.... bye bye focus problem and hello new overheating problem
2022-12-13
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Kamen666 Posted at 12-13 01:14

I'll tell you.... At the moment I'm only comparing on 1080 (due to PC weak graphics cuts videos, problem with h.265) with GP11, as I quickly set it yesterday and the guard turned, but literally, on FHD GP11 soft compared to FHD OA3 It's not motion blur from GP11...

1080-25-standard_GP11-OA3.jpg
2022-12-13
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

In 4k, GP11 is no longer soft.... The mystery of compression?

2022-12-13
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Kamen666 Posted at 12-13 01:14

Now the 4k50 test at room temperature gave me I don't know why more files 7:19, 7:27, 6:36, 2:54 and overheat. Loop is off.
2022-12-13
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

StevoB Posted at 12-13 02:47
I'll tell you.... At the moment I'm only comparing on 1080 (due to PC weak graphics cuts videos, problem with h.265) with GP11, as I quickly set it yesterday and the guard turned, but literally, on FHD GP11 soft compared to FHD OA3 It's not motion blur from GP11...

For focustests it is perfectly sufficient to work with photos, you will even get better test results. Better in the sense of better comparable.
2022-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules